Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How to: Replace non-Onstar mirror with GENK30/31  (Read 15552 times)

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: How to: Replace non-Onstar mirror with GENK30/31
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 08:21:55 AM »
 I went out this morning and everything was working  :huh:  .. but I went ahead and checked the last connection made as suggested by Hal ... the green wire in the butt splice was a little loose ... I replaced that (green) wire with some of the same gauge (black) wire and put a twist cap on the wires ... wrapped the bare wire around the bolt (my ground) and it is working as advertised  :) .... I think the main problem was the loose connection in the butt splice ... ... I'm going to look into a spot to run the temperature probe next ... the SC really hinders access to locations on the passenger side but we'll see.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
If you look at the passenger side of the firewall just above the battery, you'll see a small square of sound deadening, peel it off and you will see a hole to the passenger BCM area.  Push a metal hanger with the edge bent over so you don't stab a wire and feed it to the BCM area, then tape the temp probe connector to it and pull it through.   

Then you can stick the square material back over the hole with the wire and route the cable to the front of the car.  I clipped mine under neath.    The photos I originally posted is the way I routed it on my car but I discovered that hole later when running ooga horn wires.  I routed the wires that way for Chuckdoc's car.

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 07:15:34 PM »
If you look at the passenger side of the firewall just above the battery, you'll see a small square of sound deadening, peel it off and you will see a hole to the passenger BCM area.  Push a metal hanger with the edge bent over so you don't stab a wire and feed it to the BCM area, then tape the temp probe connector to it and pull it through.   

Then you can stick the square material back over the hole with the wire and route the cable to the front of the car.  I clipped mine under neath.    The photos I originally posted is the way I routed it on my car but I discovered that hole later when running ooga horn wires.  I routed the wires that way for Chuckdoc's car.
on my vehicle there is no small square of sound deadening .... I did find a large rubber grommet that had some wiring harnesses going thru them ... and I was able to get the temp wires pushed thru ... I ran the temp probe thru the engine compartment and attached just to the side of the air dam?? ... hooked the temp connector up at my passenger footwell ... cranked the car and drove it around .... everything works but I just show 0 deg C for temp and it is +/- 78 deg F here .... I will double check - in the morning - that I definitely have a good connection in the footwell ... other than that no idea why the temp is not reading ...

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »
I know you ran it already but this is where I was talking about.

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
on my vehicle there is no small square of sound deadening .... I did find a large rubber grommet that had some wiring harnesses going thru them ... and I was able to get the temp wires pushed thru ... I ran the temp probe thru the engine compartment and attached just to the side of the air dam?? ... hooked the temp connector up at my passenger footwell ... cranked the car and drove it around .... everything works but I just show 0 deg C for temp and it is +/- 78 deg F here .... I will double check - in the morning - that I definitely have a good connection in the footwell ... other than that no idea why the temp is not reading ...
pulled the footwell cover off and sure enough the connector had come loose ... hooked it up and made sure it was snapped in securely ... replaced the footwell cover ... and turned the ignition switch on ....WTF?? now nothing works .... checked all my connections to see if I had loosened anything .... nope ... now what?  :huh:

forgot to mention my footwell lights stay on now ... like before  :idk:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:12:13 PM by 1KULSOL »