Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How to: Replace non-Onstar mirror with GENK30/31  (Read 15577 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
How to: Replace non-Onstar mirror with GENK30/31
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:28:30 PM »
I found it on ebay for $189.  This model is different then the other how to threads.  No drilling required.  1 hour to install.  This model is ideal if you don't have a garage door opener or if you have the Chemist door opener mod installed like me.  That will save you about $200 on the mirror.    Additional items requried is a fuse tap.  I'm not sure what amperage is required so I used a 10 amp tap.  I also routed my temp probe on the left side of the car, but later discovered the new mirror didn't work off the gray wire on the stock connector so I had to route a cable of the right side to tap into the passenger fuse panel.    I recommend you only route cables off the right pillar for simplicity.  My photos will show routing of the left side.
Kit

Start by taking the visors off using a torx tip.
Pull down on the winshield surround to release the 4 retaining clips.
Remove the right pillar by pulling it off releasing two retaining clips.
Take off the stock mirror with a small torx bit.
Release the plug on the mirror by pressing on the tap in the middle and pulling off.
Pull the kidney shapped panel off the right side of the dash.  The door needs to be open to remove.  Use a straight slot to get under the edge and pull off.

I've labeled them for your convience.
The stock cables
2 - Ground
6 - Autodimming feature
7 - Constant power.
GENK31 cable
1 - Ingnition powered
2 - Ground
3 - Not used
4 - Temp Probe
5 - Temp Probe
6 - not used
7 - Constant power
The stock connector is the same as the GENK31 connector.  Instead of replacing or jumpering/cutting off etc.  You can pull the wires using a sharp pointed scribe or awl and press metal are indicated in the photo below and pull wire out.

With the GENK31, the auto maplight dimming feature is NOT included so I removed pin 6 and folded it over.  The GENK30 has this feature but costs about $50 more.
I took the supplied connector pin 7 and pulled it out to use on the stock in location pin 1 and separated it from the wire bundle.  Do not connect it to the connector yet. 
In the passenger foot area there is a fuse panel, pull the carpet back
Insert the fuse tap into fuse slot 18, this is unused and is controlled via ignition.  Route the cable removed from the supplied cable up the right side of the dash behind the plastic and drap over the top of the dash.  We'll get back to this cable after routing the temp probe.
Temp probe.  I connected mine after dropping it through this part of the wheel well under the hood. see photos.  This is the same for either side.

Clip onto the plastic on the bottom of the bumper as in this photo.  Zip tie the cable to the frame as in the photo.

Route the cables along the harness towards the windshield frame and lift the rubber, pul the holddown and put the cable behind, re-insert the hold down.  see photo

Do the same with the rubber close to the door frame and route the cables draping them over the dash.
Tape the temp probe and ingnition wire together with each pin staggered to minimize size when feeding through the original wire mesh.  See photos.  Remove the tape off either end of the mesh.  Insert the taped pins in the end near the windshield frame and pus through to the connector.  Remove the tape and insert the cables following guide above.   

Slide the sleeve back down to cover the folded over gray pin and tape.   Tape the other end.  Tape the loose cable is 1 foot spots to the windshield frame and down the pillar staying clear of the slots.  tuck the excess cable in the dash opening. 
Reinstall the right pillar. Top windshield surround and visors.  Press in the connector to the back of the new mirror and mount the mirror.  You may have to loosen the torx screw first. Close the hood.  Inside the passenger area, connect the ignition wire to the fuse tap and reinstall the fuse panel and carpet.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:40:34 AM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: How-to Replace non-Onstar mirror with GENK30/31
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Joe, what does that give you on the mirrow, temp and direction or just temp? Also what are all the buttons for?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:17:38 PM »
My mirror was a GENK31 to which I later added a relay to have the map lights turn on and off with opening the doors. 

Relay instructions and pictures
 Originally Posted by BLK GXP on the Solstice forum 
  • With this relay you should connect #3 to +12v. not sure about the wire color.
  • Connect #2 and #4 to the gray wire in the stock harness.
  • This wire should no longer be connected to the mirror.
  • It gets grounded by the BCM when the lights are supposed to come on.
  • Connect #1 to the new mirror where the gray wire used to be.  My relay looks a bit different, but should function the same.
Thanks to BLK GXP, that worked perfectly.  Following his notes I did a few extra things to make it simpler to hide the relay.

• I reconnected the gray wire to the mirror and then I took the left A Pilar off and located the gray and blue w/white stripe (+12).  I cut the gray wire apart and tapped the blue w/wh wire.
  • I labeled the wires in the first photo to goto the corresponding terminals on the relay. 
  • Gray wire cut (1,2) 1 is the gray wire to the mirror and position 1 of the relay, and the same for the rest of the numbers.
  • I jumped position 4 to position to number 2 as in in BLK GXP's instructions.
  • With the 18" of extra wire I left, I applied velcro to the back and stuck it inside the kidney panel which you have access to with the door open.  I took electrical tape and completely wrapped the relay to prevent arching to metal surfaces in the car.

Now I did one extra thing that was different then the instructions above.  The #1 wire I added about 3 feet in length and put a temporary butt splice on it.  Later when I have more time, I'll place LEDs in series in the splice.  I tested this tonight and it works.  The LEDs come on with the door open and go off with the mirror.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Below is the instructions for a GENK30 (has relay built into the harness)  When I did his I found an easier way to install it on his compared to mine.

• remove both visors
  • remove center pillar and right A pillar.
  • removed the old mirror
  • unplugged the existing harness and zip tied it aside
  • plug in new harness to new mirror
  • install new mirror on windshield
  • tape wires to windshield frame following right A pillar
  • pull off kidney panel on right side of dash to facilitate dropping wires to passenger foot well.
  • once wires are in footwell, reinstall pillars, visors, and kidney panel.
  • Use a fuse tap to position #18 on the passenger foot well. This is switched power. connect red wire from mirror
  • The large connector going to the fuse panel is from the BCM (Body control module) Find the blue wire with white strip, this is the battery power. connect yellow wire from mirror
  • Find the gray wire with blue stripe and this is the map light power. connect brown wire from mirror
  • above the battery on the firewall is a square piece of aluminum tape on the firewall. This is the pass through for the temp probe wires
  • Drill hole large enough to pass connector through. (Peel back tape and use to seal hole after wire is passed through)
  • install temp probe to bottom of bumper (drop leads behind fog lights to the ground and then connect the metal tap to the bumper so the probe is facing forward.
  • connect the ground wire to the bolt above and to the left of the passenger footwell fuse box, this is a good ground. (I ended up replacing the connector with a larger loop due to original being too small for the bolt.
  • connect the temp probe connectors
  • wrap up any extra wire and tuck into footwell area, zip tie.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:36:19 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:30 PM »
Joe, what does that give you on the mirrow, temp and direction or just temp? Also what are all the buttons for?

The hole on the left is a sensor for lights coming in the back of the car, next is the left map light, then config button, then right maplight. 

Display is Temp and Heading, and at certain temperatures, it will flash ICE

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
Great mirror and it is a little bigger for a better view!

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:18:34 AM »
If anyone is on the fence about adding this mirror, Joe did mine and I listed it in my top 7 things that make driving a pleasure.  I did not realize how self dimming mirror makes nighttime driving more fun and safer.  It is also nice to have the Ice warning,, led map lights and to always know the temp outside.

31 degrees, ok I can put the top down, cause thats not so bad
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
So Joe, let me get this straight you would rather I pay the extra 80 bucks for the 30 to make it easier for you to install?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »
So Joe, let me get this straight you would rather I pay the extra 80 bucks for the 30 to make it easier for you to install?

Chuck and I actually found it for the same price I got for mine.  Heck ya, the 30 is easier to install!!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »
This is something that I want to do one of these days. Let's just say It's on my list. :cool:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:29:45 PM by DeepBlueGXP »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »
I bought it on line at some place that had RV and fun in the name.  Darktech found it and I forgot the link but maybe he will post if Joe gets him to join this forum.  It was the exact same price and I checked the place out.  They are just a middle man and it actually came from the factory and arrived in just a couple of days.

Chuck
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »
http://www.rvfunproducts.com/automatic-dimming-mirror-with-map-lights-and-compass-p-2308.html

$187 right now is the least expensive, I paid $189 for my GENK31

lil goat

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 01:10:09 AM »
There is another option as well, you can get a used GM mirror on eBay, even if you have OnStar. I paid $65 for mine out of a 2077 Monte Carlo SS, has auto dimming and maplights and OnStar, without OnStar is cheaper. I don't have the direction or temp like the Gentek, it was the only option I had if I wanted to keep maplights and OnStar. Install is really easy, jumper one wire on the connector that plugs into the mirror, and replace. Took me two weeks to find out which wire and about 10 minutes to install the mirror.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 03:18:02 AM »
I got a junkyard mirror out of a Saturn VUE.  Had auto dimming and compass/temp.  With the temp sensor and wiring connectors, I paid $60.  It didn't have map lights, so I had to "frankenstein" in the maplights and switches from my Sol mirror.

That was on my '06.  My GXP has OnStar, and I suppose I should keep it.  Not sure how I'm going to tackle that one just yet, but it's a priority.  I still want it all, though (compass, temp, auto dimming, map lights and OnStar).  I might have to relocate the OnStar buttons to the windshield header trim.

Can't wait to get back to my car and start the butchering - less than 5 months now!  :woohoo:

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
That poor thing is still a DIY virgin right
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:36:00 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline BLK GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Rollin'
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
The lights wouldn't be that hard to incorporate into the trim above the winshield, if you found one with onstar, but no lights.
Mysterious Lightside GXP. Driving like there's no tomorrow.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 04:50:19 AM »
That poor thing is still a DIY virgin right

Yep, only thing I had time for when I saw it was to change the break-in oil, wipe the pinstripes off and detail it.  I'll do a few mods in May, while I have my dad's garage and tools to work with.  Time and budget will only allow so much, though, unfortunately.  Will be buying a house soon thereafter.  Stinkin' priorities  :gaah:

Anybody wanna show me how to set up a website and give me money for my mods so I can spend mine on a house?  :lol:

The lights wouldn't be that hard to incorporate into the trim above the winshield, if you found one with onstar, but no lights.

But that would be too easy.  I like to challenge myself  :D

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: How to: Replace non-Onstar mirror with GENK30/31
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
My mirror was a GENK31 to which I later added a relay to have the map lights turn on and off with opening the doors. 

Below is the instructions for a GENK30 (has relay built into the harness)  When I did his I found an easier way to install it on his compared to mine.

• remove both visors
  • remove center pillar and right A pillar.
  • removed the old mirror
  • unplugged the existing harness and zip tied it aside
  • plug in new harness to new mirror
  • install new mirror on windshield
  • tape wires to windshield frame following right A pillar
  • pull off kidney panel on right side of dash to facilitate dropping wires to passenger foot well.
  • once wires are in footwell, reinstall pillars, visors, and kidney panel.
  • Use a fuse tap to position #18 on the passenger foot well. This is switched power. connect red wire from mirror
  • The large connector going to the fuse panel is from the BCM (Body control module) Find the blue wire with white strip, this is the battery power. connect yellow wire from mirror
  • Find the gray wire with blue stripe and this is the map light power. connect brown wire from mirror
  • above the battery on the firewall is a square piece of aluminum tape on the firewall. This is the pass through for the temp probe wires
  • Drill hole large enough to pass connector through. (Peel back tape and use to seal hole after wire is passed through)
  • install temp probe to bottom of bumper (drop leads behind fog lights to the ground and then connect the metal tap to the bumper so the probe is facing forward.
  • connect the ground wire to the bolt above and to the left of the passenger footwell fuse box, this is a good ground. (I ended up replacing the connector with a larger loop due to original being too small for the bolt.
  • connect the temp probe connectors
  • wrap up any extra wire and tuck into footwell area, zip tie.
I just purchased the GENK30 and went about installing it this weekend with a friend who is more familiar with electrical connections ... I removed all the necessary parts and he would hook up the electrical connections ... we did use the instructions from DeepBlueGXP and they were a big help ... it took us a little while but we finished and everything worked as it was supposed to .... but after I made it back to my hotel the green light on the mirror went out ... so I figured I would check it out in the morning ... started the car up in the morning and the green light was on ... figured it might have been a loose wire and I would check it out when I returned home .... stopped for gas ... green light went out again and the led lights I have hooked up in the footwells came on and stayed on ... they fade off when the ignition is off ... it's raining here now so I'm not going to check anything out .... but can anyone offer any suggestions on my problem?

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 09:46:21 AM »
I just purchased the GENK30 and went about installing it this weekend with a friend who is more familiar with electrical connections ... I removed all the necessary parts and he would hook up the electrical connections ... we did use the instructions from DeepBlueGXP and they were a big help ... it took us a little while but we finished and everything worked as it was supposed to .... but after I made it back to my hotel the green light on the mirror went out ... so I figured I would check it out in the morning ... started the car up in the morning and the green light was on ... figured it might have been a loose wire and I would check it out when I returned home .... stopped for gas ... green light went out again and the led lights I have hooked up in the footwells came on and stayed on ... they fade off when the ignition is off ... it's raining here now so I'm not going to check anything out .... but can anyone offer any suggestions on my problem?

BUMP

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 12:04:51 PM »
Where did you tap power and ground from?  If you use those horrible "vampire" type taps that basically cut through the insulation touching the wire within to gain connection, they are garbage.  That would be my first guess.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
KulSol,

I wish I could help.  I don't have anywhere near the patients to attempt a project like that!  If it were me, I would get my sledge hammer and hit it until it worked right.  You are welcome to try my method if you like.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »
KulSol,

I wish I could help.  I don't have anywhere near the patients to attempt a project like that!  If it were me, I would get my sledge hammer and hit it until it worked right.  You are welcome to try my method if you like.

GJ
GJ,

thanks for the suggestion ... I have tried that approach in the past ... just not enough room to get a good swing at this though :)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
GJ,

thanks for the suggestion ... I have tried that approach in the past ... just not enough room to get a good swing at this though :)

Your not on the correct side of the mirror then.  You need to aim THRU the windshield to be able to get the right force on the mirror... please take video...

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
Not sure if you have your ground and power reversed?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »
Your not on the correct side of the mirror then.  You need to aim THRU the windshield to be able to get the right force on the mirror... please take video...

GJ
If your taking advice from GJ your problem is probably more then just a loose wire.

Joe since LEDs are polarized if the ground and pos were reversed it shouldn't work at all should it?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
It's hard to say what happened.  I need some photos of the connections.