Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Leaky trunk - again!  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Demothen

• Tech
Leaky trunk - again!
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
So today I discovered the source of the slight funk in my solstice that I've had for the last couple of days.  The carpet around the inflator and back wall of my trunk is fairly wet.  I already had this problem once but that water was pooled on the passenger side of the trunk. And was apparently due to the rubber boot leaking where the wires pass from the decklid into the rear bumper.  This was fixed by the dealer with some adhesive to seal around that boot (weatherstrip glue presumably).  That fix still looks good, so I really don't know how the water got into the trunk this time (obviously the insane amount of rain lately had something to do with it). Anyone suggest another way the water could have gotten from the drain area into the trunk floor?  I usually park with the front of the car level or higher than the back, though its possinble I parked nose-down in the rain at least once recently.
Thanks!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Leaky trunk - again!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
Opening the trunk with it nose down even slightly will put a ton of water on the carpet.  Please don't ask how I know :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

lil goat

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
How do you know Critter? You knew I had to ask.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
The two drainage boots can become dis-lodged in the trunk causing the water that drained to go into the trunk.

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:34:32 PM »
Saturday at the airport goat
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Demothen

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
Drainage boots eh? Ill look into those for sure.  I think there was a bit of water the last time I was in the trunk, and it was facing downhill slightly.  Hopefully that's all it is.  I just hope the soggy case of soda in the trunk didn't leave a nice logo on my carpet!

Offline Va_Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »
I had the same problem in the same area with my Sky. Turned out to be a gap in the sealant used to seal the body and the fiberglass trunk where the trunk and the body meet. I found it by pulling the carpet back and pouring water into the tray above the tail light and watched where it ran into the trunk. Upon inspection of the area I found a gap in the sealant the factory uses. I then took some clear RTV and a putty knife and filled in the gap in the seal. Hope this helps.
08 Redline Midnight Blue
Black/Black,
Three Pedals (Do They Make'm Any Other Way?),
Spoiler, Chrome, Monsoon,
Opel GT Antenna, V2 Windrestrictor,
JPM Embroidered Visor Covers and Console,
GM Stage 2

DDM - Backbone, Pro-Beam, Fuel Filter, Powder Coated Valve Cover,
Coil Cover, Charge Pipes, Intercooler, Big Wheel Turbo

High Country Solstice Sky Club

Offline Demothen

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Still have not been able to solve this problem...I have tried to reseal the trunk seams in the drainage area, to no avail.  The problem seems to be getting worse.   I am wondering if water is making it over the trunks weatherstrip near the passenger sidee tail light, this is where the water seems to collect most on the carpet, and my trunk sits higher on that side.does anyone know what i s involved in adjusting trunk fitment? Or any other suggestions?  I have tried dumping a bucket of water into the drain area, but not been able to locate the source of the leak.
Thanks

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Was this ever resolved?  Nothing like bringing a thread back from the past. 

It has been raining cats and dogs for days.  I got in my car this morning and the driver's seatbelt was wet...not sure where the leak is.  Looked at the trunk seal and it looks good, and the top seems to be ok, but there is no denying the diagonal wet mark on my jacket.  The carpet inside the car is dry...it is the coiled seat belt (and likely whatever is around it where it lives) that is wet.
Any suggestions on where the culprit might be?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »
Not to shed light on the leak, but you should check UNDER your carpet to see if it's wet and needs drying out.  There is a LOT of padding under the carpet, that can act like a sponge - even though the carpet top can feel dry.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 03:02:05 AM »
Not to shed light on the leak, but you should check UNDER your carpet to see if it's wet and needs drying out.  There is a LOT of padding under the carpet, that can act like a sponge - even though the carpet top can feel dry.

^^^^^^. This
Make the right choices now

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »
Thanks...did that and it ain't.  The rain here was torrential...we had leaks in our Commander too, and it has never leaked before.  I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that there were gallons and gallons of water falling out of the sky in a short period of time.  We actually got kicked out of the restaurant we were in on Wednesday because the river it was nearby started to rise and was coming in the dining room. 

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Mine is under a cover, guess I should pull the cover off and check inside.  We did get some rain this week.

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline syclone0182

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
Don't feel bad...our passenger floorboard is soaked from where we have a leak somewhere.

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
Don't feel bad...our passenger floorboard is soaked from where we have a leak somewhere.

My driver's side was leaking, it would actually drip water on my foot when going through a deep puddle. I took it into Saturn Service as it was still under warranty and the found it immediately. They hadn't sealed it right at the factory.