Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Possible group buy for billet aluminum sill plates for the Solstice  (Read 19572 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
I have been talking to a couple of our vendors on the site about replacement billet aluminum door sill plates to replace the ones on our GXPs. Looking to get some input as to whether those that would be interested in a group buy would prefer a smaller, less expensive plate or if covering the entire plastic piece would be the most popular option. Either one will have a brushed aluminum finish.

Those with a NA Solstice would be able to put the small plate over the Solstice lettering on the plastic sill with double sided 3M tape or cover the whole sill outboard of the carpet with an aluminum piece.

The Solstice or the GXP logos will be CNC machined into the plates along with the horizontal lines, 3 on each side.

I am leaning to the smaller plate as that's where this all started.

This is the SS sill plate that got me thinking about this.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is the original sill plate from my GXP. I was thinking of getting a billet piece to replace the stock piece of paper thin aluminum. The replacement would have the GXP logo on it.
This is a rough idea what the smaller GXP sill would look like. You have to use your imagination a bit.  ;)
And finally what a fully covered sill would look like. Would likely have a larger radius on the lower 2 corners but my Photoshop skills are exceedingly bad.

What are YOUR thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:23:50 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
Re: Possible group buy for billet aluminum sill plates for the Solstice
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »
It would have to be something that didn't have deep groves as it will fill up with dirt.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:44:01 PM »
The grooves wouldn't be THAT deep Joe you have to remember that this is inboard of the rubber on the door seal. It wouldn't get any dirtier than your sill gets now. Cleaning it shouldn't be a concern.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline MRZ - Performance

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:48:05 PM »
I just emailed you back about the door sills ;)
No longer supporting vendor of KP

Offline BigSal

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »
I like the look of the full sill. :thumbs:
Performance Mods
Westers Tune v5.2
DDMWorks Extreme BackBone
DDMWorks Charge Tubes
kappaSPRINGS by Eibach
Dejon Cold Air Intake
DeJon BOV Spring
Solo High Flow Cat
Solo Mach Shorty Cat Back

Show Mods
lil' Chromies
Lambo Doors
JPM Leather Center Console
JPM Sown Seatbelt Loops
DeepBlueGXP Front Light mod
Debadged except for
WG Badge Added (Westers Garage)

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 07:54:22 AM »
I am only interested in a lighted sill plate.
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »

ME TOO!!!!

Offline DragonSolGXP

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
I think I would go for the replacement inserts (smaller as pictured). Do the stock ones just come off (double sided tape) and the old ones stick down? The manufacturer would need a sample "sill" to get a good fit.
2008 Mean Yellow GXP, RDC Exhaust, Westers Race Tune, BC Racing coil overs, ZOK Rear Sway bar and poly bushings front and rear.

Offline Casey Designs

• Tech
    • Casey Design
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
I also emailed you about the sills.
--Larry (aka Mr. Personality)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:05:15 PM »
I just emailed you back about the door sills ;)
Thanks, emailed you back...

I also emailed you about the sills.
Email returned, thanks Larry.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
I think I would go for the replacement inserts (smaller as pictured). Do the stock ones just come off (double sided tape) and the old ones stick down? The manufacturer would need a sample "sill" to get a good fit.
Yes, the aluminum insert on the GXP is glued in and as many in a colder climate that have had the aluminum lift on them can attest to, the piece will peel right off.

I had thought that double sided tape would be the best solution but one vendor suggested drilling a hole and screwing it down through the plastic. That may be the best way to mount it.  :idk:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:16:37 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »

A lighted sill is an option that one of our vendors that I contacted is considering offering and it isn't a vendor that has talked about offering it in the past.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
We may well have a prototype for the door sill plate next week for all to see!  :woohoo:

Offline Lithium Lotus

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:20 AM »
I want door sills that illuminate
07 GXP: Natsumi "Summer Beauty"
Sold 08/2010

Offline melissadunagan

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »
I would like the large one the best. I would what it to Solstice on it or just plane.
Ferret Lady

Offline FieroVin

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
I think I like the smaller one best, but I'm sure both would look nice.   :thumbs:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:48 PM »
The word Solstice or GXP will be available as will Sky and GT as well if our friends in Europe are interested.

Offline SOLster

• Vendor
  • Tech
    • Aftershock Products
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 08:43:19 PM »
hi Bob...

I hope you don't mind me suggesting another option for your project.  If you were to CNC the name or logo onto the aluminum surface, depending on the size of your cutting tool, you most likely won't have sharp tight corners on the graphics as displayed.  You will most likely get rounded corners, only on the inside corners of the logo, and in which will be determined by the size of the cutter.  You can get close to a sharp inside corner with a real tiny cutter but that will take you all day just to finish those corner details.

One way I can see how you can get the crisp sharp corners in the insides of your logo, is to perhaps have the sills in two separate pieces.  You would have the main sill body with a water-jet cut out of the logo in the center (negative) and another water-jet cut out of the logo itself (positive) to be fitted into the cut-out opening of the main sill.  This would allow you to keep the crispness and hard inside corners of your graphics and possibly offer another option of having a laser cut logo out of acrylic to be fitted in and potentially lit up from the back.  I would suggest having the face of the acrylic sand blasted to give it an opaque appearance for two reasons instead of clear.  One would be that the opaque finish will hide scratches more than polished.  And two, it allows even disbursement of light on the graphics. 

This option would mean more work for assembly, different methods of machining, and additional materials involved than your fist idea of CNC on a aluminum blank.  But it will offer the lit option and the graphics will be more precise as a trade off.  Something to think about.  Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

rudy

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »
You make some great points Rudy. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »
Can't wait till next week to see the prototypes. They will look SO good on our cars!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
So... did this die?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »
Like to see this come about
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »
For Show Quality door sills ,what about a lighted version w/GXP or SOLSTICE . was wondering if that was a though or not .Kind of like the DDM under Hood and Trunk Lights
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 07:55:36 AM »
This died because of licensing issues. The Solstice, GXP, Redline, Sky and any logos that are a GM trademark can't be used for something like this without paying large amounts of money to GM. The quantities that would be made of these wouldn't have covered the cost.

Believe me when I say that no one is more disappointed than I that this died. I really hope that some time in the future we can revisit this with some different designs.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »
I wonder if we could just modify the stock metal sill guards to form the cover over the light and still be within copywrite laws? Drill out the lettering, and modify the design so it would fit. Granted, it wouldn't be as nice as what Larry had planned, but it's better than nothing.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.