Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Possible group buy for billet aluminum sill plates for the Solstice  (Read 19526 times)

Offline DragonSolGXP

• Master Tech
Re: Possible group buy for billet aluminum sill plates for the Solstice
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »
Ben I hope Larry does go ahead with it and for a milled billet part I wouldn't care about a logo. God knows that most of us have more than enough logos on our cars already.

If there was a blank insert then an individual could get what even he felt like blasted into the piece at his or her local water jet shop. Larry wasn't going to be able to do the water jet work anyway.

Just the fact that this thread is still active speaks to the fact that there is interest in a quality part and not one stamped out of sheet metal.

Exactly, I would have preferred one without any logos or brands anyway.
2008 Mean Yellow GXP, RDC Exhaust, Westers Race Tune, BC Racing coil overs, ZOK Rear Sway bar and poly bushings front and rear.

Offline DragonSolGXP

• Master Tech
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
Just a photo of a project I was working on while the Vendor #2 has been making door sills.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice, what is it?
2008 Mean Yellow GXP, RDC Exhaust, Westers Race Tune, BC Racing coil overs, ZOK Rear Sway bar and poly bushings front and rear.

Offline DragonSolGXP

• Master Tech
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
I think a couple of grooves placed in a pleasing design would work. I prefer not to have my car branded in anyway. Something made of better quality material and artistically done is all that is needed in my case. How do the stock sills come off BTW? Are they glued down?

Ben L

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 03:02:30 PM »
No.  Like everything else, they just pop off.  Held in place with clips.  Easy Peasy.

Offline DragonSolGXP

• Master Tech
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »
Yeah, very easy... I'd get a new set for sure.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
Yeah, takes more time to open the door than it does to take off the sill plate. Larry's sill plate will likely go over our existing plastic cover and I have to agree that a no logo design would likely be the best way to go.

What ever Larry comes up with will look great, that I'm sure of.  :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
I'm just curious, but how do other vendors, like windrestrictors, and others get around the GXP copyright logo thing? I've all kinds of aftermarket GXP stuff hanging all over my car, and it's all pretty much come from small mom'n pop companies, who, I would bet, didn't pay a bazillion dollars to GM for the right to duplicate the GXP logo in their stuff. And besides: GM has killed the brand. What do they care?

Ben L

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
WR has a license from GM.  Whether it has one for the dozen or so other makers splattered on its site (Porsche, etc.)  I don't know.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:19 AM »
deepwater805 ; ASAP got Stopped by GM also for Logo Rights. As long as they OWN the copyrights and Trademarks for all GM products and can charge whatever they want. A friend of mine had a Drag car with all GM parts so he painted something on the side . Later GM made him remove it . That was in the 70s.Damned if you Do and Damned if you Don't. One of them No Win Situations
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »
WR has a license from GM.  Whether it has one for the dozen or so other makers splattered on its site (Porsche, etc.)  I don't know.
They may or may not. WR made the windrestrictors for our cars with the GM logos before they had the license and stopped making them for a while until they had the license in place.

Many "mom and pop" companies do that as it's easier to ask forgiveness after the fact. When the "cease and desist" letter comes, things come to a screeching halt.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:17:04 AM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 10:58:01 PM »
Wow! I stand corrected.  :sorry: I just never figured that GM would punish small companies who are actually promoting GM's products with what basically amounts to free advertising.  :huh: And often on highly visible customized cars that draw allot more attention to their GM product, then the average OEM ride on street does.  :gaah: Anyway, after that rant I have to admit: I was wrong about the copyright thing. Too bad though. Especially when it kills a benign group buy like the door sills would have been.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2010, 03:19:43 AM »
Especially when it kills a benign group buy like the door sills would have been.

It's not dead yet. Maybe not as it was first designed but there will be solid aluminum door sills yet.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »
Any chance the sills could be designed so that interchangeable letters could be installed?  That way Larry has no control over what the installer spells out even if he only tends to sell the letters G, X, and P.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline BigSal

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2010, 05:27:20 PM »
Looking for blank un-adorned sills. The hell with GM.
Performance Mods
Westers Tune v5.2
DDMWorks Extreme BackBone
DDMWorks Charge Tubes
kappaSPRINGS by Eibach
Dejon Cold Air Intake
DeJon BOV Spring
Solo High Flow Cat
Solo Mach Shorty Cat Back

Show Mods
lil' Chromies
Lambo Doors
JPM Leather Center Console
JPM Sown Seatbelt Loops
DeepBlueGXP Front Light mod
Debadged except for
WG Badge Added (Westers Garage)

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
I'd be looking for something with my forum name, certainly not any GM logo.  :mad:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »
Larry, how's the prototype coming? It'll be great to get a quality sill that isn't just sheet metal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:45:01 PM by Sly Bob »