Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How wide can you go on stock rims?  (Read 7630 times)

Offline TecSolOnt

• Master Tech
How wide can you go on stock rims?
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:04:38 AM »

Thinking about putting new tires on my stock chrome rims ,  like the look of a wider tire at the rear which you see on some of the  Porsche models. I like the the rims so just wondering what my options are sticking with them.

Wondering anyone know how wide we can go with these rims, anyone have experience with putting a wider tire on the rear?  

:brnout:

DDM ST II Supercharged , DDM Pro Beam, DDM Backbone, Solo Performance Mach Exhaust, Norms Diffuser Valance, Kappa Windscreen, Sound Deadener

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: How wide can you go on stock rims?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »
Also I think depends if you have lowered your car.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Ben L

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:03:15 AM »
I think the Porsches achieve that look through a staggered setup, with a wider rim in the rear.  I run 275s on a 9 inch rim in the rear, and 245s on the stock 8 inch width in the front.

Here's how it looks --

Trying to get overly wide tires on a narrow rim is not a good idea.  Each tire is designed with a certain sidewall flex point.  If the rim is too narrow, the flex point moves toward the shoulder area, creating heat buildup in the shoulder, which reduces tire life and could result in failure.  Also, a narrower tire will increase the aspect ratio, because it will pull the beads on either side closer together, and result in a sidedwall bulge or overhang over the rim bead.  This will offer a cushier ride and more shock absorbtion, but the price will be slower response to turning inputs, less precise handling and increased slip angle and rollover in hard turns. Also, the "footprint" of the tire depends inevitably to some degree on the rim width.  If you squish a wide tire on a skinny rim, you are not going to get the full tread width contacting the road as you would with a proper sized rim.

All "ultra performance summer" tires specs. on the Tire Rack suggest that 245 or maybe 255 is about the limit on an 8" rim.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:40:20 AM by Ben L »

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:15:42 AM »
Ben L - Would a 255 on a 19 x 8.5 be ok or even a 265?
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Ben L

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »
An 8.5 inch rim will likely accomodate most 255s.  For example, the rim width range for Bridgestone Potenza Re-11 255-35-R19s, and for Yoko Advan AD08 255-35-R19s is 8.5 to 10"  You may be able to squeeze another 10 mm on there, but may have some degree of the downsides noted above.  Also, I am not finding decent 19" tires in 265 size.  The increments in that size seem to be 255 to 275.

Keep in mind the stock rim is only 8."

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
I have 255's on 8.5 rim, tire rack would not mount 265's on the 8.5 rim which is what I wanted.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline TecSolOnt

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »

Thanks guys, saves me some time. Since I don't want to trade out the rims it looks like 255's are it.  Thinking ahead to next summer...

DDM ST II Supercharged , DDM Pro Beam, DDM Backbone, Solo Performance Mach Exhaust, Norms Diffuser Valance, Kappa Windscreen, Sound Deadener

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »
Just ordered some Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 255/40ZR19's for my new 19" MODA MD1's.  Can hardly wait til they arrive early next week!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline TecSolOnt

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

Nice ! Put a pic up when you get them on Roadstersol !

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
I'll try.  I'm not very computer savy but I'll figure it out.  :idk:

Offline ThunderSky

• Upgraded Member
  • Tech
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »
I will be needing new tires in the spring as I have a bad tire with a small bubble, maybe from a pothole. Dealer says the rim is fine but tires are over half worn and typically crap in the rain anyway, so I think I'll order 4 new ones to put on when she comes out of winter storage. Looking at the Falken FK-452's and can get either 245-45-18 or 255-45-18. I'd like to make that small leap to the 255's. (on stock suspension)

Anybody see an issue with that ?? 
ThunderSky
Graphite RedLine,
Red / Black Leather,
Manual Tranny, Windrestrictor,
Monsoon with XM , Spoiler,
8000K HIDs on Low Beams and Fogs
Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Painted calipers,
Magnaflow 3" Quad Tip Exhaust, CAI

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
ACTUAL size is sometimes different than what is embossed on the tire. Try to find the true dimensions of any tire you plan on. All things being equal, a 255 should only be less than 1/2" wider than a 245, so should fit okay. Tire Rack shows all dimensions for all their tires right on their site. Discount Tire should be able to supply that info as well, as do most tire company web sites. One very important number is the overall diameter so as to not screw up your speedo.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »
Do you guys think that a staggered setup encourages understeer? And can the swaybars account for that?
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 11:24:33 AM »
FYI...I am running 255's on an 8 inch rim with no issues.  On the rears, I am running 275's on a 9 inch rim with no issues either.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline ThunderSky

• Upgraded Member
  • Tech
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »
ACTUAL size is sometimes different than what is embossed on the tire. Try to find the true dimensions of any tire you plan on. All things being equal, a 255 should only be less than 1/2" wider than a 245, so should fit okay. Tire Rack shows all dimensions for all their tires right on their site. Discount Tire should be able to supply that info as well, as do most tire company web sites. One very important number is the overall diameter so as to not screw up your speedo.

Yes, I looked at that and the difference in diameter is very minimal. 26.7" dia for stock size and 27.0" dia on the 255's . so only about 1% larger.

ThunderSky
Graphite RedLine,
Red / Black Leather,
Manual Tranny, Windrestrictor,
Monsoon with XM , Spoiler,
8000K HIDs on Low Beams and Fogs
Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Painted calipers,
Magnaflow 3" Quad Tip Exhaust, CAI

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
Do you guys think that a staggered setup encourages understeer? And can the swaybars account for that?

Yes, and maybe. In daily driving it won't matter much at all. The more you "lean" on the car, the more apparent it will get. Just ask the guys with BMW 135i's and many of the new M series Beemers. They all have bigger rear meats, and when driven hard they PUSH !!!!!!!!!
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
I had a similiar problem with Tire Rack. I have 18x8 oz racing wheels and run 295/30zr18 hoosier a6 same as Gm racing.  Tire rack stated not compatible !  The tire width is 1 1/2 wider than stock  Handles great, stable great traction ,ran speeds up to 120 on road racing course,beats most vettes,not the Zo6  Great set up for autocross/Hi speed autox/time attack events. Gray Wolf
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »

I'd ask Ben that, I know he's got a staggered setup and knows how to push his car to the limit.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
I had a similiar problem with Tire Rack. I have 18x8 oz racing wheels and run 295/30zr18 hoosier a6 same as Gm racing.  Tire rack stated not compatible !  The tire width is 1 1/2 wider than stock  Handles great, stable great traction ,ran speeds up to 120 on road racing course,beats most vettes,not the Zo6  Great set up for autocross/Hi speed autox/time attack events. Gray Wolf

They were covering their "liability" a$$. Even Hoosier says this will work. EVERY A/Stock Kappa has run 295 A6s.
Bob Buxbaum

Ben L

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 08:20:30 AM »

I do not think so.  When you have weight over them, the 245s grip OK.  I think springs and anti-sway bars are the formula for reducing understeer to tolerable levels.  The car is pretty neutral now, and tends toward oversteer when pushed really hard.  Which is how I want it.  BTW I think you can get a 255 on the stock front rim no problem. 

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 08:30:59 AM »
The thing I am trying to determine is if going wide as possible with the tires is the best for street and road courses. I know for AutoX more is better, but that's a lot different.

That's why in the other thread I'm trying to find out what Don runs on his T2 car, the specs aren't actually written down in the Solstice Performance book
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List

Ben L

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
The thing I am trying to determine is if going wide as possible with the tires is the best for street and road courses. I know for AutoX more is better, but that's a lot different.

That's why in the other thread I'm trying to find out what Don runs on his T2 car, the specs aren't actually written down in the Solstice Performance book

For performance applications, track work and autox, the bigger the contact patch the better, I'd say.  At some point, weight and increased rolling resistance of a wider front may be a factor, but not on our relatively high HP cars.  I know Eric K (local SCCA A Stock GXP hotshoe) runs 295 A6s at all corners, but switches to them at the event.

On the street, a wider front can cause problems, including tramming (i.e., "wandering" and tending to follow truck ruts, etc.) and increased tendency to hydroplane.  This is a huge problem on the Cobras.  I have driven on my 315 V710s in the FFR coupe to nearby events, a couple of times in the rain, and used to do it regularly on 275 Nitto NT-01s in the roadster, and it is always pretty terrifying. 

Larry Casey put a hitch on the coupe, and I just finished my tire trailer (yay!), so I will not be doing that again.

Because my GXP is primarily a street car, those were the reasons why I maintained the stock width in front.  If you are going to ask your rims/tires to do dual duty, the bottom line is that the vast majority of hours are going to be logged on the street.  Again, I think you can upsize the fronts a bit, but would be cautious about drastically increasing the rim width on a street car.  If you do, be aware of the downsides of a wide front tire in wet highway driving especially.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »
Yeah I am worried about having too wide on the street.

I just know once I put on a big turbo kit, I'll be sliding all over the place. So I wanna find a happy medium for street and track.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
You can put 255 on the 8" rims, but none of the sellers will sell you an 8" wheel with a 255 on it. I have 8.5" rims, and they would not go past 255 when I bought the wheels and rims.  They would sell me larger tires, but not mount them.  As SOB said "liability"
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia