Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Engine coolant temp fluctuating  (Read 3678 times)

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Engine coolant temp fluctuating
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
In the last few days my Coolant temp has been spiking to as high as 223. It will spike up to that then go up and down between 200  and the high teens/low 220s. I took it the dealer and he test drove it and said the highest it got was 208.
 I suspect a flaky thermostat, but they won't do anything till it becomes consistent.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:28:05 PM by DickW »
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
Re: Engine coolant temp
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »
I have watched mine do the same thing.  Probably the recently reported problem with the cooling system and air pockets, not the thermostats.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Ben L

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
There is a foil insulated coolant line near the firewall that Joe once yanked on, to cure a momentary high temp reading on my car.  Perhaps he or someone else can chime in and advise as to its location and what goes through it.

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:27:27 PM »
I have never added coolant or even had the cap off.
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline ThunderSky

• Upgraded Member
  • Tech
Re: Engine coolant temp fluctuating
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:59:29 PM »
Mine did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Took it to the dealer, could not replicate so.....same thing. Dealer would not do anything.

It was better the following week or so but I now have the car in storage till spring. 
We'll see what happens then...
ThunderSky
Graphite RedLine,
Red / Black Leather,
Manual Tranny, Windrestrictor,
Monsoon with XM , Spoiler,
8000K HIDs on Low Beams and Fogs
Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Painted calipers,
Magnaflow 3" Quad Tip Exhaust, CAI

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »
Lil Goat sent me an email about GM will be adding two check valves to the coolant system for GXPs late December to prevent the system from sucking in air when you remove the cap.   

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »
This happened to me also...dealer replaced my thermostat and the it came back.  It happens every now and then still.  Although, my coolant seems to drop an inch or two after I fill it and drive about 100 miles.  Nothing leaks under the car.  I am guessing it is a slow leak as I drive and pressure is in the system, but not sure.  Any ideas?
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 02:39:26 PM »
This happened to me also...dealer replaced my thermostat and the it came back.  It happens every now and then still.  Although, my coolant seems to drop an inch or two after I fill it and drive about 100 miles.  Nothing leaks under the car.  I am guessing it is a slow leak as I drive and pressure is in the system, but not sure.  Any ideas?
One of the classic symptoms of a failing cylinder head gasket is loss of coolant.  

Haven't seen anything about failed gaskets on the forums, so don't know if it's likely, but techs can test for this using a sniffer in the oil filler tube.

Just a theory. :(
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »
*raises hand*

I've been loosing slight amount of coolant ever since buying the car. It's those lousy clips on all the small coolant lines. The three on the T-fitting by the reservoir, and there's another on the radiator I just noticed has some red goo around it. I've been changing them out with band clamps, they're not the best, sure, but they work.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »
I"ve topped off mine 4 times since I bought it and today I had another coolant light.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »
The only time I have added coolant was when we took the radiator out to do the stage III upgrade
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »
An air bubble can cause that problem. The void fills with high temp steam and spikes the gauge as it passes by the senser. The most typical cause is a slow leak somewhere in the system. However, some cars (kappas?) suffer from this when the fill point is not the highest point in the system. If that's the case, the coolant needs to be filled under pressure in order to fully evacuate the air. Maybe that applies here, maybe not...I'm not familiar enough with the design to say specifically. Does the factory manual detail the fill procedure?
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »
Rogue, that sounds reasonable. How do you check for an air bubble? How do you get it out?

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »
Hopefully I am not about to curse my car, but since late October 2006 and 24K miles the coolant level has not budged. So, an observation on the above comments --- there are two common comments; 1) 'yup, just started doing that', and 2) 'been doing that since I bought it'. #1 = this observation - the weather has changed to cold. #2 = look for some seepage at clamps.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing