Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Hot water - Do or Don't?  (Read 6875 times)

Offline SeLFMaDE

• Tech
Hot water - Do or Don't?
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:57:43 PM »
Just found out I have a plumbing problem and will need to replace and reroute some pipes. One of the pipes by chance happens to be the one that goes out to the hose I use for washing my cars. It's currently a cold water line and can easily be switched to a hot water line. It's no secret that hot water cleans everything better, but are there any dangers of using hot water our cars and newer cars in general? Could the top shrink? Could the seals be damaged? Is the paint too thin or soft to handle it? Anybody who uses hot water, please share your experience.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
Re: Hot water - Do or Don't?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
You run the risk of cracking the windshield if you try to wash a car with hot water on a cold day...  or so I'm told.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:54:15 PM »
Washed my car to the gas stations and I know first program of their self washing posts is with hot water.

I washed it even this week twice, outside temp 42-50 F (6-10 C) without any problems.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
You run the risk of cracking the windshield if you try to wash a car with hot water on a cold day...  or so I'm told.

Not any worse than using cold water on a very hot day.  Yes it's possible to crack a windshield, but not likely.
Aggressive #000741

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »
Hot or cold...just don't wash it like this..
http://www.break.com/index/the-ultimate-car-wash.html

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
You could always put both hot AND cold water outside like I did. It's nice to take the chill off the water when washing. A tap from Moen like the this is nice.

Or do like I did and simply use a set of laundry taps on the outside wall.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »
Sly Bob ;   ITs not been out that long and is frost proof . When I was up there in August I could have done that for you. Even had my tools with me. I got one rite after they were in the supply  house . Put some silicone around it so the wall is water tight.Nice job
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the offer 1 LIL NDN , it really is a nice looking tap. The one in the picture I got from another site though. All I have is a modified set of laundry taps in the garage that work really well.

I have tools too.  :D  I am a licensed plumber and gas fitter in the province of Ontario.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline SeLFMaDE

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »
A tap from Moen like the this is nice.

That Moen tap is nice. Any info on where I can get one or what the model number is?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
SLY   All Bobs are Plumbers and I even have a Twin also a Plumber . We're  slow down here. My company here was All About Plumbing  and Bro's is R F K Plumbing .
 still working but want to retire and spend more time working on my Cars and House

68 and counting   :gaah:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline BLK GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Rollin'
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
A few years back the cold silcock froze on the front of my house even though it was frostproof. Since I had to fix it anyway I turned it into the garage instead of out the front of the house. I also ran a hot line with it, and bought a laundry faucet. It was kind of crappy and leaked, so I rigged up a set of ball valves, and put some heat trace cable on it. Having hot water out there is great for all sorts of things. I even used it to clean out the turkey fryer pot. I use it plenty on the cars with no problems at all.

And no, I am not a plumber. I am an Electrician
Mysterious Lightside GXP. Driving like there's no tomorrow.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »
BLK GXP    IT Shows  LOL   OH ya  The frost proof hydrants don't freeze UNLESS you leave the hose connected   A Lesson for all in the winter if you turn your water off to the outside faucet remove the hose and turn the faucet on ( only open faucet if the water is off inside house if its not frost proof)     

Will send my Bill Later. " Work is slow "   This is known as Professional 
   Tech Advice                                               

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:41:51 PM by 1 LIL NDN, Reason: spelling »
Mods

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »
And no, I am not a plumber. I am an Electrician

So your name isn't Bob then?  :fishing:

Nice setup for the taps. Here's mine in the garage. They are old laundry taps that I had given to me 20 years ago so I don't know how old they are but I haven't so much as had to change a washer. They were originally fed from the top and had a swivel spout where the center valve is now.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
Well they look like Gerber,  About 30 yr old were the better sets inverted all Brass works. ita easier to have a mixing valve  I have Gerbers in my bathroom 28 yr got a rebuils kit and still brand new Best faucet made I think

OH    My given Name is Robert but I think YOUNG  I go by Bobby
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:02:29 PM by 1 LIL NDN, Reason: missing words »
Mods

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
Yeah my given name is actually Robert as well.

This is what the taps that I have in my garage would have looked like when they were new. The site I got the picture from says they sell them for $45 US. By the time you modify them and add a backflow preventer it'd be cheaper to buy the Moen ones.

Offline ccanepa50

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 02:00:15 AM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned that washing the car with hot water can  mean  waxing more often (as the heat can break wax  down)......
BTW, i notice that in these faucet pix that a few installations have a valve on the outlet,  if you were to leave the outlet valve off or hose end off and the other 2 valves open you can  get hot and cold crossing over leading to interesting results (as  water flows the path of least resistance), things like hot water to the toilet, tepid hot water,  etc..... some faucets have check valves built in to prevent this potential.
(and yes, its my occupation)..........chuck

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
Yes you probably would wax more with HOT water but I just use the hot to warm up the cold. Using hot water wouldn't be comfortable, you would risk burning yourself and why waste hot water?

Your concern about a cross connection is valid. I turn off all 3 taps when I am done. I use the center one to turn the water off and on but when the job is done they all are off. I found this out shortly after installation because of the tepid hot water that I found when using the hot in the house.

Overall, it's been great and has served me well for that time as 20 years ago there weren't the options that there are today.

I would definitely go the Moen route if I were to do it today.

Plumbers sure have great tastes in cars...  :D

Offline Poorboy

• Expired Vendor
  • Master Tech
    • Poorboys World
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »
well here's my take on it and BTW those are some nice set ups  :drool: ....

no problem washing with hot water, but would you take a shower with only hot water? I don't think !! so unless you turn the temperature on the water heater way down ... you need one of the set ups above .. to give a moderately warm wash not hot ...you would have to wash over 200* F to remove wax ... warm or cold makes no difference ...
Professional Polishing and Detailing Products
www.poorboysworld.com website
www.poorboysworld.net  detailing forum
www.Ultrafinish.com/store  microfiber only store

life is short ...do it while you can!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »
well here's my take on it and BTW those are some nice set ups  :drool: ....

no problem washing with hot water, but would you take a shower with only hot water? I don't think !! so unless you turn the temperature on the water heater way down ... you need one of the set ups above .. to give a moderately warm wash not hot ...you would have to wash over 200* F to remove wax ... warm or cold makes no difference ...
Now THERE'S a man that knows what he's talking about! Thanks Poorboy for chiming in.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:28:26 PM by Sly Bob »