Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Michellin X-ice tires  (Read 2719 times)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
Michellin X-ice tires
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:08:46 AM »
A little snow fell here overnight.  Enough to cover the streets an inch or so deep.  So I decided to finally see how the new winter tires actually do in snow before too many streets got plowed and salted.

Let me say first of all, though, that I have little memorable frame of reference.  It's been many years since the last time I drove a RWD car in snow.  Also, I haven't driven my Kappa on snow before - on ANY other tire. 

The long and short of it is that they performed "admirably,"  but I wasn't exactly stunned by their performance.  They won't transform a relatively lightweight, short wheelbase RWD turbo car into a competent winter driver.  I'm certain they did better than the stock GS-2's would have by a long shot, but I can't help but think there are better snow tires.  Maybe they're more capable in ice, as the moniker implies.

Still though, I'm satisfied with them.  I just won't buy them again next time I need winter tires...  and I'll drive my wife's VUE in conditions like this whenever possible from now on.  Even with only FWD, no traction control, ABS or stability control, it just feels more capable.  I kind of expected that too, though.

Next time it's Blizzaks.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Michellin X-ice tires
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
I ventured out in the snow with my GXP and I didn't have any issues with the Continentals.  Even with the slight incline and lack of plowing, I was able to accelerate up my road.  On the other hand, our G6 with FWD and traction control couldn't make it up the road.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:44:02 AM »
My Sumito's got me to work this morning, there was some wheelspin starting up going up the hill in front of my house at 1100 rpm but she soldiered on.  Just had to be carefull until I got to roads that had seen some traffic.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »
Didn't get a chance to try the VUE before they plowed and salted.  I was able to climb inclines in the GXP steeper than your road, Joe.  I had a little trouble on one on the way back home.  I think it was a bit icy, though.  I was able to snake my way up in 1st gear.  Doubtful I would have been able to do that on all seasons.  Not sure if the VUE would have gone up without some momentum.  It has Fortera triple treads on it, which are awesome tires for that car.  They're considered all-seasons, but they meet whatever criteria to qualify as winter tires as well and get the little mountain/snowflake logo.

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »
No snow ridin' for the coupe  :crazy:  , I'll be driving the AWD HEMI Jeep!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »
Hmmm.... I'm likin' the sound of the Continentals more and more.  Currently, I am driving in messy weather my old Altima with all seasons that my daughter gets next year when she starts driving (yikes!).  Starting to sound like winter tires/wheels are not worth the extra expense around here.  I still a tad bit worried about the dry grip I would give up with the Contis.  Maybe Joe can give me a demo next time I'm down there?
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
We took "Bessie" Pat's 1994 Ford Explorer 2WD out in the snow, she's our best bad weather vehicle, glad we keep her for just this.  Kitty litter, ice melt & shovel in the back....didn't have to use for ourselves.  All other vehicles stayed parked until the roads cleared.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
Allot depends on the tire width in the snow. The stock 245mm width is allot of tire for a 2900 lbs car. My C5 Corvette had Dunlap M3 245 width on all 4 corners but was about 200-300 lbs heavier. The Kappa spins them easily in slippery conditions but I have yet to see anything more than an inch of snow.

Norm
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline rich71

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »
my kappa is sleeping for the winter, but my main car has hancook studded snows all around and i like the performance of them. i am a huge advocate of studs for winter. in addition to better ice traction, it helps me maintain "feel" of the road when i am driving. but honestly for winter driving, i just drive quickly down my street first thing, slam the brakes on to get an idea of the traction i DONT have, then go from there......in the snow belt, lake effect area here i think it should be the law to have a separate set of snow tires....i can't tell you how many suvs i pass that are in ditches off the road because people think just because they have 4wd they can drive anywhere.....no traction is no traction, is no traction.....kinda pisses me off actually, but as long as i don't get stuck and i can drive around them.....
2007 Midnight Blue Redline
Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
Redline overlay on 3rd brake light
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »
Quebec  drivers face hefty fine if they don't drive on snow ...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/30/report-quebec-drivers-face-hefty-fine-if-they-dont-drive-on-sn/

Norm
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.