Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How to: Make a custom gauge install more difficult  (Read 13590 times)

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: How to: Make a custom gauge install more difficult
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
You guys just freakin' amaze me with some of the things that you do. I really like the Black Cat gauges and what you have done. Keep up the good info.  :thumbs:

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
Very nice!  Looks great and I see you cut down the plastic under the "160".  The DIC does look much more red than the original - at least in the photos.
Heh. I had to break out the 'big guns' - my Canon DSLR - to get the lower-noise dark piccies :cool:

Yep, I trimmed away some plastic so the 1 would fully light in 160.  I shot this with my Nikon D50 (DSLR).  Maybe I'll try my polarizing filter and/or play with different ISO/f-stop/shutter speed combos.  Photography isn't my strong suit :(

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »
I would really like it to be red to match my needles, and tie in with the rest of the dash.  I did hack the window out of my factory overlay, and I might wind up going with that if the orange gets on my nerves or isn't bright enough. 

I think Rubylith only comes in red, but I'll bet there's something similar out there in other colors.  I have some tinted 3-ring binder sheets in various shades that I could cut up and try.  I bought them for the blue, in an attempt to try and change the color of the HVAC knobs.  I didn't like the results, though, and went back to red.
Hey, sorry to resurrect this hoary old thread.  My anti reflective film method is not working so well (it bubbles-up in the heat). 

2kwk, do you have any of that rubylith film left that you could "donate to the cause"?  If so, I'd love to pick up a piece from you at the Mod Meet if possible and try your cut-out method.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
Scott, Just make sure you have enough for mine as well :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
I have plenty.  Will bring it to the meet

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
i would appreciate some help on the following. i want to change the lighting from yellow to white (red needles stay) on my gauges. do i have to tear apart the whole thing and pull out the needles, or is it just a procedure of
1. take the upper part off
2. unscrew the two screws and get the gauges out
3. change the led lamps
4. put everything back
???
what i m not comfortable ith, is tear apart the gauges, the needles, change the leds and put back the needles, gauges etc...
i can change the leds if it is a simple procedure but i can certainly use some step by step help here.

thx
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 11:05:25 PM »
Unfortunately, Arabas, to get to the lighting in the gauge pod requires disassembling the gauge pod (as in removing the needles, etc)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 05:28:59 AM »
Thx 2kwk4u for your quick reply! i took off the top of the dash (the part above the gauges) yesterday and realised that with the help of your pics.
unfortunately i don't trust my skills to do that myself, so if you ever visit this part of this world, you will have to do some charity work ;)
btw, the result you achieved is GREAT!
 :thumbs:
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »
Arabas, I'll make you a deal.  You buy me a ticket to Greece and I'll do the work for free.  Throw in a ticket for my wife, and I'll rotate your tires, too!  :lol:

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
2kwk4u if we arrange it this way, then we have to rename this topic in "how to make a greek custom gauge install more more more more and insanely difficult" !!
 :lol:
thx for all the tips !
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »
UPDATE:  I did the 2kwk "cut up your gauge-face DIC window" mod and used the rubylith filter he so kindly gave me at MMM7.  Unfortunately it didn't really work for me.  I found the matt surface was too matt and that and the darkness of the red filter (probably in conjunction with my presbyopia!) made it too difficult to see anything in the DIC with the roof down in daylight.

So, on through a series of trials, I've finally got it to a place where I'm happy!  Basically, I tried different versions of Roscolux theater lighting gels to try to match the white effect of the factory gauge filter.  First I tried #32 'Medium Salmon Pink' which looks the EXACT same color/tint as the factory window.  But when I glued it in, it actually showed as a slightly purple color display.  Didn't like that.  So then I tried #3308 'Tough Minusgreen', but despite the name it had virtually no effect and still showed green.  Then I bought a filter sample pack and found the best match for what I wanted was (believe it or not) #34 'Flesh Pink'!  I sandwiched this behind a strip of matt anti-glare screen protector (from some I got for my son's PSP) and it works!  Brighter than the factory display filter and is as close to white as I could find (just a very slight green tinge left).  You can buy these gels from a theater lighting supply shop (around $7) if there's one near you.  Or from B&H Photo online, around $11 shipped.  The filter samples are also available from B&H and each sample is just big enough for a single use.  So you could get one of these if you want to try different colors ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45189-REG/Rosco_950SBLUX0103.html ).

Final result in bright sunshine (from behind):

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

(The little black shelf above the display was an earlier attempt to shade the DIC from glare, but didn't really work, so ignore it :) )
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)