Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Coupe hard top squeak/popping noise fixed  (Read 2647 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Coupe hard top squeak/popping noise fixed
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:05:08 PM »
Since there isn't a Solstice plant with GM engineer around to look at the issues and fix things, I decided to fix the problem my self rather than take it to a dealer who has never seen a coupe and try to demonstrate the problem to and have them scratch their heads on how to fix.

As all of us that own coupes know the front of the hard top has two latches and guide pins.  The right latch area vibrates and squeaks and also leaks when it rains.  I had water come out behind the visor.

The issue is the guide plate needs to be shimmed/lowered so that when the top is installed, it has firm pressure on the latch and possibly fix the leak issue.

The fix:

Remove the top and set aside
Remove both visors
Remove the center A Pillar plastic trim
Remove the right A Pillar plastic trim, disconnect the speaker harness.

-The guide plate is now visable and is attached with two 10mm bolts.  
-WAIT: DO NOT REMOVE THEM.
-You must mark around the edge of the plate with a marker/scribe/tape to keep the alignement.  I used a gray permenant marker around the edge.  The plate has elongated holes.
-Remove the two bolts and plate.  With the bolts in the plate, place a 1/16th shim (aluminum sheet or some panel washers of the same thickness.) over the bolts.  Reinstall the plate.  
-Test fit the hard top. If everything looks good, reinstall the trim/visors.

This effectively lowers the plate by 1/16 and the top will have more clamping pressure.  I may have fixed the leak with this also.  I just have to wait for the next rain.  A brief car wash didn't provide any leak.  

I originally tried to just insert a washer as a shim in between the plate and A pillar at the edge of the plate without removing it, but it caused the hard top to sit about a 1/4" lower.  Once I shimmed both bolts, the plate only lowered the thickness of the washers.  See my cave man cartoon.

Dee commented the squeak was gone.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:40:45 AM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Coupe hard top squeak fixed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
Mr. Fixit strikes again, water hose will check for the leak.  Good job Joe
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Coupe hard top squeak fixed
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
I don't have a squeak, but I do get the popping/creaking noise. I'll try this, thanks joe.
Mr. Fixit strikes again, water hose will check for the leak.  Good job Joe
Water hose doesn't work for this leak, its a seeper, it takes a long soaking rain to get the leak because it seeps in slowly. I still can't figure out exactly how it gets wet inside the windshield frame (center A pillar)

Joe, if it leaks again pull the center A pillar plastic trim & check in the small oblong hole near where the passenger visor mounts & see if yours gets wet inside the A pillar. Just curious if this happens to anyone else.