Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 4-3-10 CDC Autocross at Bowie Stadium  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
4-3-10 CDC Autocross at Bowie Stadium
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:56 AM »
Missed the KP crew at the CDC event yesterday at Bowie Baysox Stadium.  Could not have asked for a nicer day.  Among the great cars there were two Kappas:  a yellow GXP driven by a young lady, and a Red Sky.  The course was simple and short, and flowed pretty well except for two right angle turns on the back side.  The gal in the yellow GXP really drove well.

FTD was Wade Chamberlain in his FFR Cobra roadster: 31.6.  Larry Casey in his Cobra was second with a 33 flat. Here's a vid of my best run in the Daytona coupe, at 34.4, good for seventh overall out of a +50 car field. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwj-pzYrW-s&feature=player_embedded

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:32:29 AM by Ben L »

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: 4-3-10 CDC Autocross at Bowie Stadium
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »
Ah, I was buying a helmet for autocross yesterday.  I'll be back at it soon (I was going to say crushing cones soon, but only Critter can do that so well!!   :poke: )

How'd the car run?  Have had it back to Summit Point yet?
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:38:19 PM »
As soon as my vision clears back up, I'll be out there.  I plan to make more events this year.  I had LASIK a few weeks ago, and have run into some pretty serious complications.  I'd probably trash the course every run through if I were to go anytime soon :)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »
Wish I had been able to make it. Still, it was nice enjoying a day at home.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060'
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »
Sweet run Ben.  1.2 lateral Gs

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
As soon as my vision clears back up, I'll be out there.  I plan to make more events this year.  I had LASIK a few weeks ago, and have run into some pretty serious complications.  I'd probably trash the course every run through if I were to go anytime soon :)

Wow.  I hope you are OK.  I'm chicken of that stuff.  still just use the prescription wraparound Oakleys.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:34:34 PM by Ben L »

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 11:14:50 PM »
Sweet run Ben.  1.2 lateral Gs

Thanks.  Nearly 1.3.  That's  turning faster than the coupe would drop from a height like a brick.  It was amazing that you could build up that much momentum on a thirty something second course.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »
I'm coming along.  I can tell it's not as serious anymore because not as many doctors parade through on my daily visits to check out the freak show.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:41 AM »
Yikes, hope you're doing better soon.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060'
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »
Pinched nerve in my neck may keep me out of the saddle all season, don't think it would be very smart to add 15 pounds to my head and sling it around for a while.  Some one else will have to take up cone crushing this summer.  Will have to watch your video when I get home from the therapist.  Sounds like it was a really quick course.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that!  Damn, the KP autox injured reserve list is getting too full!  Get well soon you guys.   Its always good to see the Kappas out there getting tossed around.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 01:36:10 AM »
Pinched nerve in my neck may keep me out of the saddle all season, don't think it would be very smart to add 15 pounds to my head and sling it around for a while.  Some one else will have to take up cone crushing this summer.  Will have to watch your video when I get home from the therapist.  Sounds like it was a really quick course.

Critter,

can I practice cone crushing in your car?

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:03 AM »
Ah, I was buying a helmet for autocross yesterday.  I'll be back at it soon (I was going to say crushing cones soon, but only Critter can do that so well!!   :poke: )

How'd the car run?  Have had it back to Summit Point yet?

It still had a weird breakup above 4500 rpm.  That's a big problem, because the usable racing power band is between 4-7.5k rpm, which is where the car totally kicks ass.  I've been chasing this issue since the first race after the top end rebuild last month. 

I went over to Larry Casey's Sunday (the day after this race) and he cleaned up the wiring, and it still had the issue.  It turned out that the MSD Digital 6 box we were running is super sensitive to EMI thrown off by the Spal fan and the new electric power steering motor.  Those emissions were screwing up the low voltage wave and affecting the magnetic pickups of the distributor.  Larry had a spare MSD AL 6 box handy.  When we slapped that in, the heavens parted and the angels sung.  She now winds all the way to 7500 redline and pulls like a monster.

Back at Summit Point for an SCCA PDX and Time Trial May 1 and 2.  SCCA Level 2 school this Sunday.  Gonna get lots of practice seat time and eat up what's left of my V710s, so I can order fresh tires for the meat of the racing season.  So glad its fixed.  The head work, new pistons and rods and higher compression ratio are VERY noticeable.  The new electro-hydraulic power steering is a revelation.  Stay tuned.  I will keep you guys apprised of my exploits.

I do hope to see some of you out autoxing this season, though.  We're lucky to have so many clubs and opportunities in this area . . .

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:49:19 AM by Ben L »