Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Lighted Sills  (Read 10872 times)

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Lighted Sills
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »
As far as I know I may be the first to have my lighted sills installed.  Thank you 2kwk4u,   Scott, you did a great job.  It is too darn cold out to take pictures but as soon as it gets warmer I will post some.  Scot also installed heated seats for time bandit.  

Also had fun watching Critterman change is hoses.  

Chuck
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
Re: Lighted Sills
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
My pleasure.  Now bundle up and go take some pics! :lol:

Offline Va_Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »
I have the information on the new way to install these to where they come on individually. When you open the drivers door the drivers side comes on and when you open the passengers door the passenger side comes on, instead of both coming on at the same time if say only the drivers door is open.
08 Redline Midnight Blue
Black/Black,
Three Pedals (Do They Make'm Any Other Way?),
Spoiler, Chrome, Monsoon,
Opel GT Antenna, V2 Windrestrictor,
JPM Embroidered Visor Covers and Console,
GM Stage 2

DDM - Backbone, Pro-Beam, Fuel Filter, Powder Coated Valve Cover,
Coil Cover, Charge Pipes, Intercooler, Big Wheel Turbo

High Country Solstice Sky Club

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
Uh, with the passenger closed and drivers open, how would you know that the passenger door sill was on?  You probably think the light actually goes off when you close the fridge door.  LOL

My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline crappa

• Tech
  • What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up? In Denial
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 01:54:22 PM »
I have the information on the new way to install these to where they come on individually. When you open the drivers door the drivers side comes on and when you open the passengers door the passenger side comes on, instead of both coming on at the same time if say only the drivers door is open.

Please share
Paul

Offline Va_Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Ok here it is you still use the blue wire with the white stripe, which is the mirror voltage, and hook it to the terminal lug with the red wires for the sill lights. Pay on attention to the blue wire tap on the wire in the photo.

The change begins here.

The other terminal lug for the transformers has 2 brown wires in it. The terminal lug for these wires needs to be removed and these 2 wires separated and a terminal lug installed on each of the brown transformer wires.

Next you will need to find the C1 connector on the BCM. Location shown in the image below.

Next you need to find the tan wire with the white stripe in the C1 connector for the BCM (this is the blue connector above the large BCM connector where the blue and white wire used to power the sills is located, see picture below for connector location), this is the ground wire for the right hand door switch open/closed switch, and install a spade scotch lock tap to this wire and hook up the the brown wire for the right hand side sill transformer.

Next you will nee to find the gray wire with the black stripe in the C1 connector for the BCM (this is the blue connector above the large BCM connector where the blue and white wire used to power the sills is located, see picture below for connector location), this is the ground wire for the left hand door open/closed switch, and install a spade scotch lock tap to this wire and hook up the the brown wire for the left hand side sill transformer.

That's it. This hook up was done on MarlboroMike's Sky and works perfectly.
08 Redline Midnight Blue
Black/Black,
GM Stage 2

Offline crappa

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
Thanks Va_Sky
Paul

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
Is the wiring diagram of the BCM posted in a sticky thread somewhere? That is useful info that i'll have to use later. Thanks!
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
I would agree with those that say that having the sills going on individually or together really is immaterial as the door is closed and you can't tell the difference any way.

The benefit of hooking up via this method though is that it will extend the life of the EL panels that light up the illuminated door sills. These panels have a limited life much like an incandescent bulb. Anything you can do to extend the life is going to save you money going forward.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
Actually you might be able to see the ligth with the door closed.  I have led's inserted into the plastic door panel.  They are in the bottom of the panel.  You can see the light of the closed door inside of the car.

Only way to find out is to have some one test it.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:56 PM »
Chuck, still no pictures yet?

:ttiwwp:

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »
Is the wiring diagram of the BCM posted in a sticky thread somewhere? That is useful info that i'll have to use later. Thanks!
Helios, since you are an LSM, go look at the LSM forum section.  A wonderful benefit can be found there. (Look under the "community" forums section: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=forum#3 )
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
I appreciate the nice pictures.
This will make my install very easy.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:34:02 AM »
Helios, since you are an LSM, go look at the LSM forum section.  A wonderful benefit can be found there. (Look under the "community" forums section: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=forum#3 )

Thanks! I didnt notice it in our section. I need to get my glasses checked. LOL!
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 03:46:57 AM »
Word of wisdom the C1 connector has two tan wires with a white stripe.  If things don't work right the first time, try the other wire.  Installed via the VA_Sky method and it works perfectly.

I think it took me more time to go to Radio shack and look for the correct tap in connector, than to do the install.  Denatured alcohol works perfectly for cleaning off the factory door sill.
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar

Offline crappa

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
Got the right/left door open wiring completed today for door sills. Tied in my undercarriage courtesy lights to work with the r/l door open signals w/ignition on, else they work w/interior lighting.
I like it, thanks again Va_Sky
Paul

Offline Va_Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
Got the right/left door open wiring completed today for door sills. Tied in my undercarriage courtesy lights to work with the r/l door open signals w/ignition on, else they work w/interior lighting.
I like it, thanks again Va_Sky

You are welcome...
08 Redline Midnight Blue
Black/Black,
GM Stage 2

Offline Va_Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
Word of wisdom the C1 connector has two tan wires with a white stripe.  If things don't work right the first time, try the other wire.  Installed via the VA_Sky method and it works perfectly.

I think it took me more time to go to Radio shack and look for the correct tap in connector, than to do the install.  Denatured alcohol works perfectly for cleaning off the factory door sill.

Actually it's the MarlboroMike method... As soon as he found out how to do it he forwarded it to me...
08 Redline Midnight Blue
Black/Black,
GM Stage 2

Offline crappa

• Tech
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 01:35:30 AM »
Thanks to you too MarlboroMike
Paul

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
Thanks for the write up, just received mine this week.  I didn't realize the installation instructions meant that both sides would light up regardless of the door opened.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 03:31:13 PM »
Just been preparing for when I get my door sills and checked the wiring diagram.  As Morfious says, there are two Tan/White wires from connector C1, the other is the High Beam relay signal.

If you want to take the shell off connector C1 to verify first, the Tan/White wire you want (passenger door sw. ground) is on pin 19 of the connector, and is just 3 slots away from the Gray/Black wire (driver door sw. ground) on pin 22.

The Tan/White wire you DON'T want is on pin 44.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
Aggh!  WARNING!  (Danger, Danger Will Robinson!)

I started prep for this, wiring up puddle lights under my doors and leaving pigtails for the sills when they arrive.  Fortunately I opened-up the C1 connector, so I could solder-splice into the wire inside the shell (maintain factory-look).  Turns out my "Driver's Door Ajar" wire color is Pink/White -- NOT Tan/White as mentioned above in the how-to and as stated in the 2006 wiring diagram!  The Passenger wire was Grey/Black as stated though.  THUS, be very careful when doing this mod as your wiring colors could easily be different.  For reference, my car is an Aug 2008 build, GXP.

Safest way is to open the connector and check the pins/wiring yourself.  The connector shell comes off easy... first, release the beige clamp arm -- use a flat screwdriver to unclick the tab on the right of the clamp where it rests on top of the blue shell, then pull/swing the arm all the way over to the left.  Then the shell top is held on by a couple of clip-tabs on the left (opposite the wire entry), so push thin screwdrivers in to release them and pull off the shell.

You'll want the second row of pins up from the bottom (or 3rd down from the top) and check the wires into the second pin from the left on that row for the Passenger side and then the fifth pin from left for the Driver side.

Offline roadstar30

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
So how did you run the wires to the door seems like it's a real pain on the passenger side which is the side I started on!?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »
What's giving you problems roadster30? The BCM and fuse panel are on that side so running the wires should be simple.

Welcome to the forum by the way.   :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline roadstar30

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »
It s getting the wires thru the factory rubber I am guessing there must be a easy way! That I am not understanding maybe there's a better way to get the wire Thru the factory channels maybe it's me!
I have the wire hooks figured out just need to get the wires there(lol)
Is there a special tool I should be using ?
Thanks