Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: I'm in Canada going to Westers.  (Read 14978 times)

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
I'm in Canada going to Westers.
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »
I am in Moose Jaw, Canada. I will get to Brooks  tomorrow. Then see Lyndon Tuesday. In the next few days I should get the answers on tuning an Automatic and tunig the TCM. I will post on what I find out.
I have driven 1700 miles in the last 2 days. Averaged 27.5 MPG.
Got searched by both U S and Canada at the border. The U S Border gaurds asked a lot of questions about my car. I think that is why they wanted to searh it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:54:52 PM by DickW »
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
Re: I'm in Canada going to Westers.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »
Bosch says: My butt hurts just thinking about that drive. Rock on!
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:34 AM »
Nice work DickW!  Keeping my fingers crossed that the TCM / Tuning goes flawlessly!  Hoping to see some video of the Solstice on the dyno.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline SaskInfernoMan

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:06:35 AM »
Moose Jaw?? Wow, you're only 45 mins down the road from me!! Whatcha drivin, maybe I saw you passing through Regina. Interesting note, the 'Jaw is my hometown.

Have safe travels!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »
1700 in two days, or 850 miles a day, or 14.66666666666666667 hours a day averaving 60 mph.   I'm tired just thinking about it.  Don't over do it Dick.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
I am in Moose Jaw, Canada. I will get to Brooks  tomorrow. Then see Lyndon Tuesday. In the next few days I should get the answers on tuning an Automatic and tuning the TCM. I will post on what I find out.
I have driven 1700 miles in the last 2 days. Averaged 27.5 MPG.
Got searched by both U S and Canada at the border. The U S Border guards asked a lot of questions about my car. I think that is why they wanted to search it.

DickW what an amazing trip you have had and after 1700 miles you must be bushed!  Take care, can't wait to here what you find out from Lyndon Wester.  You got the best in the Universe working on your 2008 automatic GXP.    

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:10:38 AM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »
Moose Jaw?? Wow, you're only 45 mins down the road from me!! Whatcha drivin, maybe I saw you passing through Regina. Interesting note, the 'Jaw is my hometown.

Have safe travels!

According to his sig: 08 Cool Gxp. That'd be silver... with NC plates, I'm assuming.
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »
Sweet! You really MUST be whipped! I know that I'm not alone here anxiously awaiting to hear what he comes up with.

After the tune, get some rest!  :urock:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
Ok, DickW, it's Tuesday!  Expect a full report today concerning your appointment with Lyndon Wester.  Also, I will be listening here in Kansas for your shrieks of joy, and also for increased heart rate.  :yay: :lol:  Oh, almost forgot, be careful driving home.  Temptations with the foot sometimes get you in trouble.  Oh, did you catch any fish up there in Canada?  See ya down the road.

Ron

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:37:02 AM »
If he reached Westers he will not update until he will leave from there. He will be like this :o while is at Westers.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Yogi

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »
WOW!!  1700 miles in 2 days!!   :urock:

Can't wait to see your results!  Best of luck with the tuning!   :thumbs:
2008 Saturn Sky Red Line
2.0 Turbo LNF
5 Speed Manual
Snowflake Wheels
Monsoon Sound System
Leather Seats

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
I am SOOOOO eager to see what he comes up with for TCM tuning.  Factory settings are the biggest piece of c**p ever!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 05:25:25 PM »
Welcome to Alberta (hopefully by now).  We're only 5 hours north if you take any side trips!!  Meanwhile enjoy you time in Tilley.....I spent a week there one day.
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
Lyndon did my tune on thr dyno today. Gained about 40 on toque and 6 psi on boost. he also tuned my TCM. It shifts smoothly atall speeds. Very happy with it.To  get your TCM tuned you have to send your TCM to him. He said Joe could not do it. I will bring the dyno sheets to the Mod Meet. :yay: :yay:
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Can you give us more details on the process to tune the TCM? What hardware and software did he use?

Are the shifts faster? Does the torque converter lock up quicker? Could we hookup paddle shifters? Rev Matching?

Need... More... Info...

2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:05 PM »
Lyndon did my tune on thr dyno today. Gained about 40 on toque and 6 psi on boost. he also tuned my TCM. It shifts smoothly atall speeds. Very happy with it.To  get your TCM tuned you have to send your TCM to him. He said Joe could not do it. I will bring the dyno sheets to the Mod Meet. :yay: :yay:

Awesome Dick!  Certainly well worth the drive and look at all the fun you have had.  Looking forward to your report when you get to the Mod Meet at Joe's.  With your newly tuned 2008 GXP you will find a whole new world open up.  I remember telling you after I got my tune, that Miss Red Eagle took on a whole new personality.  Well Dick, you are in for a treat when you drive the 1700 miles home!  Drive safe, enjoy the sights.  See ya on the flip side.

Ron

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »
He tuned it on the dyno. I know he used HP tuner but I don't know what to call the software. He was reading it on 32 inch monitor that was showing a lot of parameters inckuding air flow, speed and a bunch of stuff I did  not recognize. He did say if I got rid of the cat he could get a little more ouy  of it. It seems to sgift quicker and smoother. I don't know about the torque converter or paddle shift. You would have to ask him about that.  You can drive it at the Meet and see what you think.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 12:46:34 AM »
DickW,

You are a PIONEER!  All of us with Automatics owe you a great debt!  I should have my Tuned TCM Thursday!  I can't wait to put it in and see how it goes!  Thanks for bringing mine up with you and getting things squared away!  Can't wait to see you and test your car so I have something to compare mine to!

Drive safe, take your time and enjoy the ride.  Good talking with you earlier today.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »
.....I spent a week there one day.
That Canadian exchange rate is a killer isn't it?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »
The exchange rate is even swap. Prices are higher in Canada. A Wendys JR bacon cheeseburger is $2.19. In tthe states it is $1.00.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 09:18:18 AM »
Dick - I think you missed SA's :kwh:  he was refering to the statement week=day :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
Yeah since I was replying to a quote from Moby I figured the sarcasm was implied.  My bad.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
The exchange rate is even swap. Prices are higher in Canada. A Wendys JR bacon cheeseburger is $2.19. In tthe states it is $1.00.

The difference pays for the health care required to treat the clogged arteries that those devilishly good tasting widow making burgers cause.. Baconator..64 grams of fat..1000 calories...pretty tasty though

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »
Lyndon did my tune on thr dyno today. [...] he also tuned my TCM. It shifts smoothly atall speeds. Very happy with it.To  get your TCM tuned you have to send your TCM to him.
Darn!  I thought by TCM you meant 'Traction Control Module'.  Is there anyone/any way to reprogram and fix this so that it eases off power gently/gracefully and back on again quickly - i.e. balances power with wheelspin?  Current stupid thing just cuts all power for about 2 seconds.  :banghead:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
The burgers are more expensive in Canada because we don't allow the restaurants to get away with the old "may contain meat" fine print.  Our burgers have good ole Alberta Beef in em.

Glad to see Lyndon was able to get you all set up DW, and hopefully you have a safe drive home.  Be sure to check you fuel mileage on the way home too....when I had mine done last year I took it directly to the mountains for several days and was beating on it pretty good....I actually got better mileage after the tune, and of course more power and while driving it like a mad man.

You timed your trip well....our weather was smoking warm last weekend....well OK not smoking, but it was 70!  The weekend before, you would have been stuck in Tilley due to the dump of snow.  And there are not too many worse places to be stuck in either.  That town is so small it's main street is a one way.  The Welcome to Tilley sign says Thanks For Visiting Tilley on the other side!
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap