Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Looking for Auto dimming Mirror w/ enhancements  (Read 41181 times)

Offline GXPsy Rose

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Looking for Auto dimming Mirror w/ enhancements
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
When I purchased GXPsy Rose's big sister Saphira, she came with an auto dimming, onStar, microphone/ phone, compass/temp but no reading lights aka GENTEX GENK26A model.

I want an rearview mirror similiar to Saphira's but also with the reading lights.  Has anyone found one?  or has someone rigged up another way to do internal lights to in their sol so they can still use the auto dimming, onStar, microphone/phone, compass/temp.

I've done internet searches perhaps someone spotted one that I missed

Thanks in advance
GXPsy Rose
2008 BRAZEN GXP w/GMPP tune
Ordered: June 1st 2007 & Delivered: July 20th, 2007

I LOVE MY CAR
NASSOA:  Founding Member #52

Go N.A.K.3.D..
"Life's too short not to drive a fun car"

Offline whitefang

• Founding Member
  • Tech
Re: Looking for Auto dimming Mirror w/ enhancements
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
When I purchased GXPsy Rose's big sister Saphira, she came with an auto dimming, onStar, microphone/ phone, compass/temp but no reading lights aka GENTEX GENK26A model.

I want an rearview mirror similiar to Saphira's but also with the reading lights.  Has anyone found one?  or has someone rigged up another way to do internal lights to in their sol so they can still use the auto dimming, onStar, microphone/phone, compass/temp.

I've done internet searches perhaps someone spotted one that I missed

Thanks in advance

I know my dealer will swap out the mirror that came on my Sol and put in any of the other mirrors he and his sub-contractor use on GM cars he handles. At this time, I would suggest that you might want to contact your dealer.
HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU, UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN!

Home of:The 2009 North American Solstice Sky Meet, June 18-21.
Omni Interlocken Resort - 2009 North American Solstice Sky Meet
NASSM Online

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
GenX30 or 31 check with Joe, he has done both
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »
Critterman, unfortunately those don't have the OnStar buttons. 

You can get the GENK-30/31 and relocate your OnStar controls, or you can get a GM one like the one in your new truck and add interior lights to your windshield header.  Either way will require a little custom work, but not too much.

I went a little overboard with my '06 because I was too cheap to buy a GENTEX mirror.  Heres' a crusty old thread from "another" forum about that:  http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/2kwk4us-rearview-mirror-mod-9357/

I'll probably do something similar for my GXP, but now I'll have OnStar to contend with, too.  It'll be sometime in the summer/fall before I can get around to it, though...

lil goat

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »
I have been told the mirror from the HHR SS has Auto-dimming, map lights On Star, and temp and compass, I have not verified this, I know how to make the auto-dimming work, mine has auto-dimming OnStar and map lights, no temp or compass from an '07 Monte Carlo SS. You don't need the mic and speaker they are built into the car, mic is driver side A pillar the 3 little slots up near the top, and the OnStar uses the stereo speakers in our cars. Good luck
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:30:55 PM by lil goat »

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:27 AM »
I have been told the mirror from the HHR SS has Auto-dimming, map lights On Star, and temp and compass, I have not verified this...

Man, I hope you're right!  That means all I'd have to add is the jacks for my V1.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:36:31 AM »
you just made my day, lil!  Look closely at the picture below and you can see the sensor for auto dimming, the display area for compass and/or temp (hopefully both) AND little switches for maplights!! 

lil goat

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
Glad I could help, some one else discovered it and wrote me asking how to wire it, I actually don't remember who and deleted the PM. Not sure how hard it will be to hook up the temp sensor, easy I would think. The autodimming is 1 wire from 13 to 14 or 14 to 13 I don't remember, they are side by side, you are just jumping 12V wire is about 1/2 " long at most.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »
I did a little more digging the other day when I posted that.  It seems the HHR SS mirror has a compass function, but no temp.  If we could figure out how to hack our BCMs to get a temp readout on the DIC, I wouldn't care if my mirror had that function or not. 

I'm not worried about wiring, I have that handled.  Used to work as a car audio/alarm installer.  When I put an auto-dimming mirror in my first Sol, I figured out that one of the wires was for it to automatically bypass the dimmer circuit when you put the car in reverse.  I don't know if the GENTEX mirrors have that feature, but the factory GM ones (or at least the ones out of '03 VUES) do.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »
With the backup camera installed with my AVIC, I don't need that feature.  I don't know why GM skimped on the mirror.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »
Update -- Joe and I have HHR mirrors now that we're playing with, individually, this weekend.  While the characters "°F" and "°C" are in the display, they don't even light up with the rest of the display when you power it up (via pin 13 - which powers the auto-dim function and the compass).

I tried every possible combo of two wires from a temp sensor to the remaining 7 terminals in the mirror harness with no luck on getting temp to display.  Since HHR displays temp in the DIC, I'm beginning to think the circuits internal to the mirror just aren't there.  Also, there's a pin conflict on pin 6 between GENTEX mirrors with map lights (pin 6 supplies +12V to the lamps/LEDs) and GENTEX mirrors with temp display (pins 6 and 7 are for the sensor circuit).

I'm off to try and figure out what it'll take to get temp to readout in the DIC.  I don't have much hope that I'll come up with a solution, but I gotta try...

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »
Scott ; I think you need the sensor that gives you the temp. read out and the compass . My PT and Jeep G/C  both have these sensors But not in the Mirror they are located in the overhead console .
 On my GXP I have the stock mirror and cut the wires to the on-star ( I don't like anybody keeping tabs on my location still hooked up just disabled the Mirror )Now I want the dimming mirror w/all the other feathers.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
Scott ; I think you need the sensor that gives you the temp. read out and the compass . My PT and Jeep G/C  both have these sensors But not in the Mirror they are located in the overhead console .

Actually, on the PT the temp sensor is in the grille, since it's OUTSIDE temp, not cabin temp. I assume the same is true for the Jeep.

On my GXP I have the stock mirror and cut the wires to the on-star ( I don't like anybody keeping tabs on my location still hooked up just disabled the Mirror )Now I want the dimming mirror w/all the other feathers.

So what you're saying is that the antenna and all the electronics are still in place and hooked up. So, all you've done is disable the ability for the driver to initiate an OnStar call... Nothing to do with "keeping tabs on my location". That stuff is all still hooked up and working...
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
I bought an ambient temp sensor just like the one on my VUE, and just like the one I used when I installed an autodimming/compass/temp mirror in my '06.  The problem is, I think, that the HHR mirror was never intended to display the temp, even though the VFD has the characters in it.

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
Anybody get the HHR mirror hooked up with a minimum of effort? I tried looking up what the stock pinouts are, but can't find them anywhere, not even the service manual... Everybody is talking about their modified pinouts (without mentioning wire colors, I might add)... I compared the connectors, and this is what I found:

Sol harness:
1 - grey
2 - <empty>
3 - <empty>
4 - <empty>
5 - <empty>
6 - blue/white
7 - <empty>
8 - black
9 - <empty>
10 - <empty>
11 - green/white
12 - green/black
13 - <empty>
14 - yellow/black
15 - brown/white (I think)
16 - <empty>

HHR harness (came attached to the mirror)

1 - grey
2 - <empty>
3 - <empty>
4 - <empty>
5 - <empty>
6 - blue/white
7 - <empty>
8 - black
9 - light green
10 - <empty>
11 - green/white
12 - green/black
13 - pink
14 - yellow/black
15 - brown/white (I think)
16 - <empty>

So, both 9 and 13 are missing in the Sol harness. Do I just need to tie 13 and 14 (pink and yellow/black) together, as I've seen suggested elsewhere? I'm not confident in this seeing what others have marked these pins as... What does 9 give me? Reverse turn off?

Thanks
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »
The HHR mirror doesn't support temp and only needed one wire added and tapped into it from the accessories power.  It's on 2Kwk4u's other mirror thread.  I can't remember which wire off hand.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 10:44:38 PM »
Pin 13 needs ignition +12V.  Tying it 10 14 won't work well as 14 is for the OnStar LEDs.  Those are in turn tied into the dimmer circuit.  As such, they will get variable voltage depending on the instrument panel lighting dimmer switch.

Pin 9 gives you reverse turn off.  If you want that function, your best bet is to tap the wire that turns on the reverse lights.  You can dig it out of the harness under the door sill trim on the passenger's side.  It's a mint green colored wire (there are two... in my '08 one appeared to have a less glossy shielding.  That was the one.) [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:51:16 PM by 2kwk4u »

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
I would send a PM to Reedred...he works for Audiovox, and I think they have a mirror that has what you are looking for.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »
Pin 13 needs ignition +12V.  Tying it 10 14 won't work well as 14 is for the OnStar LEDs.  Those are in turn tied into the dimmer circuit.  As such, they will get variable voltage depending on the instrument panel lighting dimmer switch.

Wait, what? OK, so I shouldn't tie 13 to 14 cuz it's variable. Which is 12V? The only other # I see above there is 10, and that's empty.

Just looked at your other thread, and pin 10 says "+12V for map lights (originally blue/white wire in pin 6 on solstice mirror)". So, I should tie 13 to 6, then, right? That corresponds to me recalling that Joe said +12V was the blue wire elsewhere...

Thanks
Matt
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 12:23:29 AM »
No you need switched (accessory) power 12V for the dimming function, or your dimmer circuit will always be active and put a drain on your battery.  The 12V that's already in the mirror is always-on.  Best solution is to run a (new) 12V accessory supply up to the mirror.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 06:02:17 AM »
Wait, what? OK, so I shouldn't tie 13 to 14 cuz it's variable. Which is 12V? The only other # I see above there is 10, and that's empty.

Just looked at your other thread, and pin 10 says "+12V for map lights (originally blue/white wire in pin 6 on solstice mirror)". So, I should tie 13 to 6, then, right? That corresponds to me recalling that Joe said +12V was the blue wire elsewhere...

Thanks
Matt

Matt,

The mirror I have in my car now didn't originally have map lights in it.  I modified it by adding the map lights.  Pins 2 and 10 on that mirror go to a connector on the circuit board that was originally intended for an OnStar mic. 

The blue/white wire on pin 6 in your car and in an HHR is a CONSTANT +12V power supply for the map lights.  If you tie the pink wire from pin 13 into that one, your auto dimming and compass will be powered at all times.  It will work, but it's not the best solution.  It would be a constant load on your battery.  I'm not sure how long it would have to sit, but eventually it would drain the battery low enough that your car wouldn't start (probably after a few days' time)...  You need to run a new wire up from somewhere that's tied to a SWITCHED +12V (ignition/accessory).

hope this helps,
Scott

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »
With every mirror accepting the prime lighting spot in just about every car behind I went with 25% window tint. Now no more glare from the side mirrors too. Especially if your car is lowered the pickup trucks and every CUV with HID are no problem. Also I can text message in privacy.  :)

Norm
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
OK, so I'm wiring this up. What's the trick to pupping pins out of the scrap connector I got with the mirror to put in my good connector? Paperclip? Where?

Thanks
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline Fireman Ed

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »
OK, so I have read and been totally confused by the threads about this, I have an 08 GMC Sierra.  It's mirror has auto dimming, on star, map lights, temp/compass.  Can I unplug my Solstice mirror, swap them out, and be done with a little wire jumping in the sol?  Will the on star and map lights still work in the truck without any trouble? 

Also does the mirror have the compass circut in it, or do I have to get that and a temp sensor aftermarket and run a bunch of wires?  All so confusing for someone who hasn't torn into anything on the car yet.
Fireman Ed
'08 Magnetic (Carbon Flash) Solstice N/A