Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Looking for Auto dimming Mirror w/ enhancements  (Read 41185 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Looking for Auto dimming Mirror w/ enhancements
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »
Since the solstice mirror doesn't have temp in it, you need to purchase a GENTEX Mirror temp probe and you need a graphic of the CM mirror harness.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
OK, so I'm wiring this up. What's the trick to pupping pins out of the scrap connector I got with the mirror to put in my good connector? Paperclip? Where?

Thanks

Yup and stick into #13

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
Yup and stick into #13

Paperclip doesn't seem to working too well. Gonna stop by the electronics store, and see if they have a tool for it.
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
You have to pry up the little TPA (terminal position assurance) lock first.  Then get at the tabs with a jewler's screwdriver to release the terminals.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
Ah, the TPA is a good tip. I was looking at that panel and wondering...

Still, no jewellers screwdriver I have will fit in that hole... A paperclip just barely fits, and I get the feeling it's not getting all the way in... Tried a safety pin... Nothing...

This seems like it should be straightforward, but it doesn't want to go.
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:20 AM »
Ah, the TPA is a good tip. I was looking at that panel and wondering...

Still, no jewellers screwdriver I have will fit in that hole... A paperclip just barely fits, and I get the feeling it's not getting all the way in... Tried a safety pin... Nothing...

This seems like it should be straightforward, but it doesn't want to go.
Get a bigger hammer that always works for Gentleman Jack.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »
Get a bigger hammer that always works for Gentleman Jack.

smash it apart, do what you need to do, and tape it back together.  million mile warranty.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 03:58:30 AM »
smash it apart, do what you need to do, and tape it back together.  million mile warranty.

GJ

Oh, I used a hammer. I only needed the leads with pins, not the connector itself. It was pissing me off, so it became 1000 pieces.
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »
Oh, I used a hammer. I only needed the leads with pins, not the connector itself. It was pissing me off, so it became 1000 pieces.

Use a safety pin or thumb tack.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »

Gentle Joe at it again....

:)

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 09:47:34 PM »

Did that. Didn't work. Hammer did.
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
BFH is always the answer.  :lol:

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
Never force it. Always use a bigger hammer.
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline Fireman Ed

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
OK, I got it done, the whole mess was a LOT easier than it seemed while reading all the posts on the boards about it.  I used the HHR mirror and all the info I needed was in here and the Solstice forum.  Special thanks to LiquidPT and 2kwk4u for the informative posts and pics.  It took more time to get some new pin ends for the plug than the rest of the whole install. 
Fireman Ed
'08 Magnetic (Carbon Flash) Solstice N/A

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 01:24:52 PM »
This is a great mod and one that I'm going to do very shortly as my HHR mirror is waiting across the border in the U.S. for me to pick up.

In the mean time I am having trouble getting parts. May have to stop into Autozone when I am in the U.S. on Monday. Can't seem to find much in pink and lime green wires as I would like to keep the harness colours correct if I can.

What gauge wire are we using for this? I would think that 18 gauge should be sufficient because all we are powering is the compass with the pink and switching off the auto-dimming with the lime green. A 5 amp fuse should do the trick on the switched 12 volts as well.

Were you able to find everything including the "pigtail fuse" pictured below at Autozone?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:20:52 PM by Sly Bob, Reason: Changed name of fuse tap to \"pigtail fuse\" »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »
Were you able to find everything including the fuse tap pictured below at Autozone?
Probably will not (at least not that I've seen).  But you will be able to get something like this:

I prefer these actually 'cos you can change the fuse if it blows, instead of having to replace the whole thing.  If you can solder, just break apart an old/blown fuse and pull out one of the 'legs'.  Then solder one wire from the above to the top of leg/tab and plug it in to the live side of the fuse location you select in the BCM.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »
That's a good point Tomato and yes I can solder. Yeah if the fuse blows your dead in the water. The only other solution would be to use an "add a circuit" but that only adds to the expense.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »
You won't blow a fuse on the mirror, don't worry about it.  You need a mini ATM fuse tap and if you have time, you can order them online.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »
You won't blow a fuse on the mirror, don't worry about it.  You need a mini ATM fuse tap and if you have time, you can order them online.
I'd agree that the chances of you blowing a fuse because of a fault/failure in the mirror are slim to approaching zero.  However the chances of blowing the fuse because you accidentally touch your live wire to ground, or your newly routed supply wire wears through rubbing on some metal part/edge or similar, maybe well be somewhat higher.
:cool:

Of course you might have more to worry about in that case, than just replacing the tap :lol:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
Yeah I think I'll go with the fuse JUST in case. Have to pick up the mirror on Monday so I'll make a stop at Autozone and see what I can grab there that they don't have here in Canada.

Then I can see what gauge wire they have on the mirror pigtail. 18 I would think as there can't be much current there.

I'd order on line but I'm not really going to save anything with shipping.

Thanks!

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 10:39:45 PM »
I think I'm gonna go with a GENK31, and wire in a relay so the map lights act as auto door lights as well.  Apparently, the GENK31 is identical to the GENK30 except for the wire harnesses they come with.  GENK31 has a simpler harness that only has the following functions: map lights, auto dim mirror, temp, and compass, while the GENK30, I think basically adds a relay to the GENK31 harness with the accompanying wiring which includes one more pin the harness/connector for the GENK30 with the auto door feature, and one less pin for the GENK31.  And there's about a $50 price difference between the two, essentially for the relay, a pin in the harness, and a little more wire.

My only concern is, where I can find that extra pin for the connector.  By any chance does anyone know an online source for the pins that would fit into the harness that comes with this standardized harness for many rear view mirrors?  I'm sure this is a pretty generic pin, but I think I remember reading that someone had a source for these pins. I'll need the extra pin for the harness on the GENK31 to get the auto-door feature to work.

Based on the paths previous aftermarket mirror pioneers have walked and were kind enough to post about, I think I can figure it out.  I'm just finding it hard to part with the ~$200 or so for a rear view mirror with all the functions I want (auto-dim, map lights that also act as auto door lights, temp, compass), when the original plan that got me thinking another rear view mirror was about $40 for a junk yard GM mirror that I can either get auto dim and no map lights, or even $80 to hack apart 2 mirrors and siamese parts together.  Especially when I'm considering getting WR door sills (~$200) because the cheap ass plastic on the stock ones shrinks when it gets cold, and causes the stainless strip to buckle outwards in the middles in cold Toronto winters, and a wind blocker of some sort for top down weather coming soon.

I'm a headhunter, and have a big fish interviewing next week.  If that deal goes through, it takes care of my summer.  So I think I may treat myself to the mirror if that works out.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:47:55 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 10:44:01 PM »
I think I'm gonna go with a GENK31, and wire in a relay so the map lights act as auto door lights as well.  Apparently, the GENK31 is identical to the GENK30 except for the wire harness they come with.  GENK31 has a simpler one that only functions the map lights, auto dim feature, temp, compass, while the GENK30, with its harness, I think basically adds a relay, and one pin to the harness/connector.  And there's about a $50 price difference between the two.

Based on the paths previous aftermarket mirror pioneers have walked and were kind enough to post about, I think I can figure it out.  I'm just finding it hard to part with the ~$200 or so for a rear view mirror with all the functions I want (auto-dim, map lights that also act as auto door lights, temp, compass), when the original plan that got me thinking another rear view mirror was about $40 for a junk yard GM mirror that I can either get auto dim and no map lights, or even $80 to hack apart 2 mirrors and siamese parts together.  Especially when I'm considering getting WR door sills (~$200) because the cheap ass plastic on the stock ones shrinks when it gets cold, and causes the stainless strip to buckle outwards in the middles in cold Toronto winters, and a wind blocker of some sort for top down weather coming soon.

I'm a headhunter, and have a big fish interviewing next week.  If that deal goes through, it takes care of my summer.  So I think I may treat myself to the mirror if that works out.

By any chance does anyone know an online source for the pins that would fit into the harness that comes with this standardized harness for many rear view mirrors?  I'm sure this is a pretty generic pin, but I think I remember reading that someone had a source for these pins. I'll need the extra pin for the harness on the GENK31 to get the auto-door feature to work.

I picked up my HHR mirror (no temp, but everything else) for $40 on ebay
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »
I picked up my HHR mirror (no temp, but everything else) for $40 on ebay

I tried that route.  If I were in the US, I'd definitely go that route.  But when I was looking, first of all, I could never find them.  And whenever I did, say with LKQ, they wouldn't ship to Canada.  One member on one board, can't remember, recomended a wrecker (Nordstrom I believe) that had one, but it was like $80-90.  And living in Toronto, it's not quite worth it for me to drive across the border just to pick up my mirror.

We'll see what route I end up with.  Personally, I like the aesthetics of the CIPA mirror more, but I can't get anyone to confirm that the lights will dim slowly, I believe they call it "theatre/cinema" style on the kappa . . . a feature I really like.  I suspect that it does have this slow dim feature because it's a carry over from the BCM signal that you tap to control the relay that goes to the map lights.  And just in case anyone else is thinking about going this route, go with a solid state relay as you will get chatter with a mechanical one.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 11:28:09 PM »
If the pins from the harness on our cars are the ones that you need, I can send you what you a couple gratis when I pick up my mirror from the states on Monday. I'll have a few extra.

Take a few moments to update your location in your profile as it makes it a lot easier to get help in instances like this when people can see at a glance where you are from.