Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Mod: Simple 'No-roof-wear-from-trunk-liner' fix  (Read 21009 times)

Offline Celt03

• Apprentice/Gofer
Re: Mod: Simple 'No-roof-wear-from-trunk-liner' fix
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
:yay:  A new weekend "SKY" project !!    :yay:

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
Just did Critterman and Chuckdoc's car.  Took about 5 mins all together. 

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
Great Job Joe.  Mine was wearing through the trunk liner but no wear on the top.  Now, no worries.
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Mine was barely touching on one side, but we went ahead and did both
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »
Does this apply even if you don't have a liner?

SG
Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:32 AM »
Unless you took out your trunk liner, then it will apply...  Those who have installed the sound deadening in the trunk should really concider this mod. 

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Did this today. Didn't think I had a problem as I didn't see any wear on the top. I was in the trunk today and noticed wear on the trunk liner on the passenger side. A slight white spot on the top can be seen wear it touches the top.

Went to the local auto parts store and found the same fasteners that TomatoSoup got. Came home and installed them but I found that there was a bolt under the liner that was holding the liner out as well. If I shortened the bolt a bit I could get the liner back more.

Here's the bolt before I cut it.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Took the nut off the bolt and threw an old sheet in the trunk and over the paint to keep everything clean. I then pushed the bolt through the sheet and reinstalled the nut. This would hold the sheet back while I cut the bolt. Got the die grinder out and proceeded to take about a 1/4" off the bolt.

After I took the sheet back out, the bolt now looks like this. A little shorter and no longer in the way.

With the hole drilled and the plastic plug installed I can now put a finger between the top and the trunk liner when the top is completely down. I don't know that I really had to cut the bolt but there won't be any issues going forward.

You can see the wear mark on the passengers side that I circled in red as well as the fastener that I installed.

Thanks TomatoSoup for the heads-up. I didn't think this was a mod that I was ever going to have to do.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:25:08 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
How did you get in the trunk to put your finger there? And how did you get out?
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
How did you get in the trunk to put your finger there? And how did you get out?
  :lol:   I checked for clearance with the top fully stowed and before the trunk lid was closed.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline FieroVin

• Tech
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
Did this today. Didn't think I had a problem as I didn't see any wear on the top. I was in the trunk today and noticed wear on the trunk liner on the passenger side. A slight white spot on the top can be seen wear it touches the top.

Went to the local auto parts store and found the same fasteners that TomatoSoup got. Came home and installed them but I found that there was a bolt under the liner that was holding the liner out as well. If I shortened the bolt a bit I could get the liner back more.

Here's the bolt before I cut it.

(Attachment Link)
Took the nut off the bolt and threw an old sheet in the trunk and over the paint to keep everything clean. I then pushed the bolt through the sheet and reinstalled the nut. This would hold the sheet back while I cut the bolt. Got the die grinder out and proceeded to take about a 1/4" off the bolt.

(Attachment Link)
After I took the sheet back out, the bolt now looks like this. A little shorter and no longer in the way.

(Attachment Link)
With the hole drilled and the plastic plug installed I can now put a finger between the top and the trunk liner when the top is completely down. I don't know that I really had to cut the bolt but there won't be any issues going forward.

You can see the wear mark on the passengers side that I circled in red as well as the fastener that I installed.

(Attachment Link)
Thanks TomatoSoup for the heads-up. I didn't think this was a mod that I was ever going to have to do.

I know this is an old topic, but I just found it today, I used a push in clip on the drivers side, but instead of cutting the bolt back on the passenger side, I used it to "bolt down" the trunk liner, then just covered the bolt with a vacuum cap.

Thanks to all for the great info and pics I was getting worried about the top wear.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »
What material is the tub made off ? Tupperware?

The inner tub is made of fiberglass reinforced plastic (probably nylon).
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)