Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: US-191 - Devil's Highway in Arizona  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
US-191 - Devil's Highway in Arizona
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »
US-191 is formerly known as US-666 and earned the name "Devil's Highway" for the obvious reason.  But also, many thought the road was cursed due to the high amount of fatalities.  I've driven through it twice and it truly shows off the Kappa's skill in twisties.

What I enjoy about this ~160 miles of road is that you get to see the versatility of Arizona.  If you start from the south, you begin in the desert that most everyone knows Arizona for.  As you head north, you head through Morenci, a historic strip mining town.  Be sure to pay attention to the road though; there are plenty of switchbacks through this stretch.  Past Morenci, you begin to climb in elevation and go through the Apache National Forest. 

The only beef I have with the road is that its a good 2-3 hours away from any sort of civilization.  However, if you're in the southwest, you definitely should hit it up.

Offline Chemist

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: US-191 - Devil's Highway in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:38:17 PM »
Had the pleasure of driving this last July. Well worth the trip!
I'd rather be driving! :D

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
US-191 is formerly known as US-666 and earned the name "Devil's Highway" for the obvious reason.  But also, many thought the road was cursed due to the high amount of fatalities.  I've driven through it twice and it truly shows off the Kappa's skill in twisties.

What I enjoy about this ~160 miles of road is that you get to see the versatility of Arizona.  If you start from the south, you begin in the desert that most everyone knows Arizona for.  As you head north, you head through Morenci, a historic strip mining town.  Be sure to pay attention to the road though; there are plenty of switchbacks through this stretch.  Past Morenci, you begin to climb in elevation and go through the Apache National Forest.  

The only beef I have with the road is that its a good 2-3 hours away from any sort of civilization.  However, if you're in the southwest, you definitely should hit it up.

I can tell you hundreds of stories about US 191.  I and Carol raised our family in Douglas, Arizona located in the Southeast corner of the state of Arizona.  I had flown down to Douglas from Kansas City to interview for the position of Director of Financial Aids, and Bilingual Counselor at Cochise Community College in Douglas, Arizona.  That was after completing my Master of Arts Degree in Education at the University of Missouri at Kansas City.  The Dean of Student Services interviewed me and said he would get back in touch.  Well, he didn't immediately, so when I got back to Kansas City, I accepted the postion of YMCA Camp Director of a year round camp that was open 52 weeks of the year on a 200 acre camp site.  I ran that camp with all 10 cabins and also supervised the cooks who provided the great meals.  I loved that job, and especially in the summer when the swimming pool was in operation.  Actually, Carol and I lived right on the premises, in a nice house, even had an office in the back.  That was a blast.  Well, not quite a year later on June 14th, right in the middle of the summer sessions, got a phone call from the Dean of Student Services and said the position was open, did I still want it.  I accepted and that started a new chapter in our lives.  

We adopted our first son while at the YMCA Camp Sant-O-Sage, and after getting to Arizona, my wife got pregnant and our second son was born at Tucson Medical Center.

So, anything you want to know about Arizona, just ask.  Cochise Community College in Douglas, Arizona is part of the Community Colleges situated all over the state.  So as part of the Community College system I would travel to different sites around the state for Financial Aid Meetings.  Also, I had an office at Fort Huachuca, the Stratcom Intelligence Center for the US Army located just 30 miles up the road in Sierra Vista as the college offered courses there as well.  So, I traveled there on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the day.  

I know Arizona very well, both our sons grew up there.  End of story.  Thanks Joe for the map.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:41:01 PM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:14:55 AM »
GXPinKC,

Really?  A year round camp that was open 52 weeks a year?  How did that work?  :kwh:

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:11:12 AM »

Take video of the run please!

I just think I might...only problem would be uploading it to a video site.  The file would be HUGE!!!

Offline Chemist

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »
GXPinKC,

Really?  A year round camp that was open 52 weeks a year?  How did that work?  :kwh:

GJ
Well, just to play Devil's Advocate, a business can be open year round, close for a week for Christmas and New Years and only be open for 52 weeks. For that matter, a business could be open for one week each month and be open year round, i.e. NOT be seasonably open.

I return you to your pre-hijacked state. :D

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »
GXPinKC,

GJ

Young Mens Christian Association is very strong in the Kansas City area.  Indian Guides booked year round.  The camp sold itself.  It was not a problem booking.  Just loads of fun doing it.

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:38:40 AM »
Well, just to play Devil's Advocate, a business can be open year round, close for a week for Christmas and New Years and only be open for 52 weeks. For that matter, a business could be open for one week each month and be open year round, i.e. NOT be seasonably open.

I return you to your pre-hijacked state. :D

Chemist,

Point taken.  I withdraw my previous chide. 

GJ

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 03:30:26 AM »
Way back in 1996 my then girlfriend, took a picture of me holding a crucifix next to a highway sign for route 666.  :devil: It was just south of Moab, Utah, if memory serves me correctly. Which it rarely does.  :huh: Anyway, that photo was taken right before her head started spinning,  :censor: so my guess is that the crucifix didn't help much....   :idk:

Offline Chemist

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 10:17:04 PM »
Chemist,

Point taken.  I withdraw my previous chide. 

GJ
Hey, I was just yankin' yer chain!   :poke:

--Chemist (my kids call me "Mr. Semantics" :lol: )

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
Way back in 1996 my then girlfriend, took a picture of me holding a crucifix next to a highway sign for route 666.  :devil: It was just south of Moab, Utah, if memory serves me correctly. Which it rarely does.  :huh: Anyway, that photo was taken right before her head started spinning,  :censor: so my guess is that the crucifix didn't help much....   :idk:
You hadn't just stopped for lunch and had split pee soup did you?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 06:21:45 AM »
You hadn't just stopped for lunch and had split pee soup did you?

Nawww, but she was a natural red head. Which I always thought explained allot of the bouncing bed episodes.  :devil: Looking back though...it was probably just just a bad :censor: mattress....   :o

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 01:57:23 PM »
Nawww, but she was a natural red head. Which I always thought explained allot of the bouncing bed episodes.  :devil: Looking back though...it was probably just just a bad :censor: mattress....   :o

Now, we know where your last handle came from, deepwater805!  Uh, deepwater805 what does being a natural red head have to do with bouncing bed episodes?  I think you nailed it though with your bad :censor: mattress...   :kwh:  all that being said, with your experience, I would certainly come out with a treatsie, uh, a book which I know would end up being a best seller, since of course you are such an authority on the subject.   :ttiwwpic2:  :drool:
 :rofl:  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:07:18 PM by GXPinKC »

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
Now, we know where your handle came from, deepwater805!  Uh, deepwater805 what does being a natural red head have to do with bouncing bed episodes?  I think you nailed it though with your bad :censor: mattress...   :kwh:  all that being said, with your experience, I would certainly come out with a treatsie, uh, a book which I know would end up being a best seller, since of course you are such an authority on the subject.   :ttiwwpic2:  :drool:
 :rofl: 
uh....
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one confused.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 09:24:07 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one confused.

:sorry: Ok, let me clarify: my reference about the bouncing bed was a loose connection to the scene from the Exorcist where the newly possessed Regan is on her bouncing bed screaming, "make it stop...!"  :devil: Sadly the tie in to my red headed ex-girlfriend was actually pretty close to the mark.... ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:29:08 PM by deepwater805 »

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 01:21:53 AM »
Deep I got that part, it went along with the pea soup.  My confusion was with the post that followed yours.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 02:09:07 AM »
Yeah, I'm with SA.

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 03:27:23 AM »
Deep I got that part, it went along with the pea soup.  My confusion was with the post that followed yours.

Oh...I see...um...nevermind... :huh:

Offline RobertAshby

• American Grunt
  • Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »
One of the very Best roads in America ! Preferred running is South to North.   They do not allow semi trucks on the road from Morenci to Alpine & has very good pavement. Nothing new is allowed to be built along this section (well over a 100 miles)  of pristine national forest.
The other great drives in AZ have to do with hwy 89 or 89A.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:00:47 PM by RobertAshby »
2007 Cool, 480hp V8 t-56, dual 3in ss exhaust, ac, Racelogic TC, LSD, Wilwoods, Probeam, Werks frame stiffener/backbone, BC coil over shocks,  Recaro Speed seats,  Werks roll bar

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Good pavement? No potholes? Oh to live somewhere where it's warm all the time and frost isn't an issue. Sounds like a fun road.    :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline RobertAshby

• American Grunt
  • Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »
It's really only open & warm enough for a couple of months during the summer to enjoy top down. There are a few bad spots but the main section has been repaved over the last few years. I think Morenci area is around >2000 ft while it is around 9000 ft on the upper end ! I am use to riding motorcycles there since the mid 70's so may be a bit rougher in the Sol, I'll know soon enough !
2007 Cool, 480hp V8 t-56, dual 3in ss exhaust, ac, Racelogic TC, LSD, Wilwoods, Probeam, Werks frame stiffener/backbone, BC coil over shocks,  Recaro Speed seats,  Werks roll bar