Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Re-wiring the Sky front blinkers to the headlamp parking lights  (Read 22416 times)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Re-wiring the Sky front blinkers to the headlamp parking lights
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 05:09:55 AM »
The LED idea is pretty neat but I wouldn't go that route because I don't want any hassle when I will be stopped by the police blaming I have a modification to lighting system of the car. Blinker in the place of parking light is better imho and nobody will ever notice the change because it will look pretty factory.

I won't try to modify it, I have other plans for the moment.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »
Bringing another back from the dead:

Just went out to my car to look things over real quick to see what the plugs and everything looks like. I cant find a comparison between a 7443, which is a dual filament and can be had in the amber for a turn signal, or a 194 or the crazy number for the bulb in the head lights. But if you can modify the headlight housing socket to accept the 7443 style socket (and if the bulb will fit and isnt huge) you really just have to run the three wires from the bulb in the fog light/turn signal housing up to the headlight.

Having no bulb in the remaining socket from the parking light that was in the headlight wont make a big difference in how the turn signal or other bulbs would react. The only thing Id be worried about with using a smaller bulb than the larger one would be the brightness during the day and if another motorist would see it clearly during the day. At night Im sure it would be more than sufficient as a signaling bulb.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
Thanks for checking this out. We don't live far apart, I'll drive to you if you wanna try this out on my car :)

I'd be worried about water getting in there if I hack thing up though.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »
Id have to look at the bulbs and sockets first at an auto parts store to see a size comparison. If theyre close, I see no problem it doing it. If I have time tommorrow Ill stop in and see if they have them to look at. And water woulndt be an issue. just have to modify the socket to fit and they have their own seals so nothing will get in.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
Checked today when I went and got some cleaning supplies. The 7443 bulb is MUCH bigger than a 194 style. The bulb will fit in the spot in the headlight, but the socket will be too big to fit. Probably more custom work than its worth to get it to work. You can, however, fit a 194 into the the w5wb spot. (Or paint a w5wb bulb amber) So, if you wire up the w5wb socket as you would when you do the side marker flash mod, it will flash and still be a parking light. The down side to this way is that it wont be dual filament so it will be an on/off style flash and not a dim/bright flash like a normal parking/turn signal.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
ophidia31, i understand you know a lot about electrical things.
so, is it doable? if yes how would one connect the w5w bulb with the turn signal wires (in a fully reversible mod)?

i noticed you said to paint a 5w5 bulb amber. there actually are 5w5 amber bulbs, i already use them in the parking lights on my GT

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=5w5+amber&_sacat=0&_odkw=5w5b+amber&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
Its defintily doable, but making this fully reversible with the limited room at that socket will be the hard part so Im looking into ways of doing that first. The hard part finding the right parts to make it work. If I had to make this so that its all or nothing, thats the easy part and can be done in an hour or so.

So far I do have an idea for making it reversable WITH a parking light/turn signal setup. It will be a crude make up for now just to have proof of concept so i can post a video of how itd look/work. Itd be no where near a finished product thatd Id feel good about giving out to someone else to use on their own vehicle.

But I forgot my damn digital caliper at work so I cant even get the measurements I want right now. Going to do that at work tommorrow and then stop by a couple autoparts stores tommorrow to hopefully find what I need.  So hopefully next week sometime Ill have quick video to show everyone, then Id just have to figure out how to make it fit right.  :huh:

I want this just as bad as the next guy since I think it looks sweet without that turning light/fog light there and just a black panel instead. I dont use the fogs anyway and took them off my last car too. lol

A better head on shot:  :drool:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:06:02 PM by ophidia31 »
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »
The cheap way out is to remove the blinkers altogether and maybe no one will notice, but I'm not sure if cops would give me a hard time with no parking lights.

Can't wait to hear when you make some progress!
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »
Here is just a crazy thought...

What if you put the Turn signal lights in the HIGH BEAM location?

You could effectively delete the fogs/ turn signals, and still have a "legal" turn signal. Con, you lose high beams.

Also I would think the giant spot for the high beam would allow any bulb to fit in there. This would require hacking up the harness a bit, but now I am thinking about doing it! I dont use my high beams much (if at all) and I don't use the fogs (mostly because I have the HID kit.

Now its bad... I am thinking if I want to try this or not! :huh: That photo of the head on shot w.o fogs looks killer!
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »
miller don't do it. high beam is always good to exist even if u don't use it often. u might need it on eday in the dark or even need to signal an idiot
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
Yeah, I think we should confirm if parking lights and turn signals are required by law, this will vary by state.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:41 AM »
I dont need lights to signal idiots. I use my BOV ;)

Yeah not sure if high beams are required by law in Ohio or not.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
I mean, you could possibly do a high/low bulb in the projector housing if itd fit, but youd get a cut off high beam that way and then put the larger signal bulb in the high beam spot. Thats alot more work though and more questionable than what we're trying to accomplish. I think that is a little more obvious that its not supposed to be like that though and probably qouldnt pass an inspection. Trying to do something 50 state "somewhat" legal here.  :lol:

I also like my high beams for the retards that drive with them on during the day that think since its during the day they arent as bright or dont even bother to shut them off at night when your comming at the so I can give them a little taste of their own medicine.  :mad:
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
Relocate the High beams down where the fogs were!

...wait a second....

I see what you are getting at Ophidia. However here in Ohio, I dont have to pass any inspections! I can do what I want (until I get caught)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Well, the vehicle I was supposed to work on didnt show so I had some time to check everything out. I think the final word is that it wont be possible without some modification to the headlight housing. Not only do you have to get a bulb passed the opening of the socket, but the reflective backing in the light itself. (if you pull the light youll see what i mean by this) So once you open up the reflective backing part of the light, its making the right notches in the housing to use the proper light socket (a 7440/7443 in this case since it seems the smallest in a dual filament I can find).
I mean, in a way I guess it is kind of semi-reversable because you would be able to use a 7440 single filament bulb instead of the stock w5w if you modify the housing for the 74xx style bulb. And since I just got my car, I want some time before I start cutting it up. lol
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
I think I'm just gunna yank them and see if I get in trouble :)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
How about this Sky guys......
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »
Instead of trying to rewire everything, how about something like this? Its just cardboard and duct tape right now just to see what itd kind of look like.  :lol: The end product will be made out of 1/8" or 1/16" abs. Dont know exactly how to mount to the grill portion, byt the light portion of the cover will just be doubld side tape. You can also kind of see that it will kind of curl up at the top and sides to wrap a little around the turn light so its not just straight edges. Add a little tint or something if you want to the turn light and call it a day. I like it alot better even with the duct tape.  :lol:

2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »
The problem is I need air to get in there for the brake ducts. But it's a good point. I wonder if it's all or nothing when you remove things from there.

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
the problem in this mod is the 5w5 lamp that can not support the turn light?
the turn light on the fender is a small lamp (not sure what kind), so i believe that by re wiring the turn light of the bumper lamp to the 5w5 maybe could do the job.
unfortunately i am not a skilled electrician to either support it or do it.
just saying an idea.
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
The problem is I need air to get in there for the brake ducts. But it's a good point. I wonder if it's all or nothing when you remove things from there.

Can always get aftermarket air ducts and cut through the covers. Then the covers can screw through the cover to attach them. Add a screen so small animals dont get sucked in and go to your brakes and there ya go. lol They would probably work alot better than the stock redline ducts since you can get them in a larger exit.

the problem in this mod is the 5w5 lamp that can not support the turn light?
the turn light on the fender is a small lamp (not sure what kind), so i believe that by re wiring the turn light of the bumper lamp to the 5w5 maybe could do the job.
unfortunately i am not a skilled electrician to either support it or do it.
just saying an idea.

That would work, but the US requires a forward facing parking light and also the turn signal. Just wiring the turn signal up there would just light it when signaling and then be off at night. We'd need a dual filament up there to do the double duty. The 7443 is the next one up for a dual filament bulb and would require modification to the headlight.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 03:04:17 AM »
That would work, but the US requires a forward facing parking light and also the turn signal. Just wiring the turn signal up there would just light it when signaling and then be off at night. We'd need a dual filament up there to do the double duty. The 7443 is the next one up for a dual filament bulb and would require modification to the headlight.

i get it now...hmmm in Greece it is different and our kappas are set different, our turn signal doesn't have to be on, only signaling. so this mod should be somewhat easier for us here
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 04:31:55 AM »
Same here Arabas ;) I think all Europe is same.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
Yeah, if all you guys need there are headlights and a signaling bulb at night, then you can just take the flashing portion of the turn/park bulb and wire it to the one in the headlight. Unfortunately we need to have a white/amber forward facing bulb when the parking lights are on or at night when the headlights are on. So technically we can get rid of the worthless light in the headlight, as long as it gets replaced with a dual filament to act like the park/turn light we took out of the bumper. Some state laws may be different, but thats the universal answer I found when driving in the US.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Yeah, if all you guys need there are headlights and a signaling bulb at night, then you can just take the flashing portion of the turn/park bulb and wire it to the one in the headlight.

ophidia, could you guide me with a couple of fotos to a fully reversible mod?
i may give it a try if it is as easy as it sounds...
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »
I though you were required to have parking lights in Europe?  They just don't stay on like ours do.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia