Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tip: Fix for unsightly gaps in the interior trim at the top of the windshield  (Read 4907 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Do you have the ugly gap between the top of the A-pillar trim and the cross-bar trim along the top of the windshield?  If so, this tip is for you!  This (before) photo shows what I'm talking about.  See the gap in the trim at the top left above the visor and also the hole/gap below and to the left of the roof locating pin support:

I'd always thought these gaps were just bad design or manufacturing and something you just had to accept.  But then, when I had my A-pillars off, I realized that the clip holes were elongated and would allow quite a bit of vertical movement.  One of those eureka moments! 

First the caveat:  I take no responsibility for you ripping your car apart or breaking anything.  Do this at your own risk!

OK, warning over. First just drop the top and wind down both side windows.  Then stand outside the car by the driver-side A-pillar (windshield pillar) and reach around to grab the interior trim... easiest place may be to stick your fingers into the dimple where the tweeter is mounted (but don't damage it!).  Then pull/jerk and slide the trim upward, as if you were trying to pull the base of the trim out vertically from where it meets the main dash trim.  Keep jerk/sliding it up until the gap at the top is fully closed.  Rinse, repeat for the passenger side.

There.  You're done.  Takes 30secs!

If this works (or doesn't) for you, please leave a comment.  This will bump the thread in the 'new posts' list and let more people see it.  Thanks.

(Will cross-post on the BB)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
I don't have this but I plan to remove my A-pillar to stick some goodies in it. I might use this but I'm so unsure if I understood correctly because there are too many uncommon words for me. Tomato can you do a small video how to do it, looks like only some pushing and I don't want to get it wrong :)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Tomato can you do a small video how to do it, looks like only some pushing and I don't want to get it wrong :)
Well, not a video (there's no movement to show really) but maybe this photo will help...  grab the trim as shown and pull on it to slide the trim up the frame in the direction of the yellow arrow until the gap is closed as shown in the orange circle:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Thank you sir, that did helped even for people like me which are ....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:38:43 PM by Kelu »
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Great tip, thanks for posting.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
this worked for me!

Thx!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Triuser

• Tech
Huh, gotta try this.  I've noticed that gap and been annoyed by it, now hopefully I've got a fix.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Even my gap was smaller I tried this method to see it is working and to test for when I will have a real big gap there.

IT IS WORKING NICE AND SIMPLE, thank you TS for sharing this.

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Ok..I'm going to try it right now..thanks!  :urock:
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Ok.that didn't work for me. It is really stuck and I'm not kidding. I'll wait until it's colder..right now, we're in a heatwave and everything, I think, has expanded everywhere!  :violin:

Sunday now..my gaps aren't as big as yours, so I'll just leave it I guess. No point of ripping my arms off trying to move that sucker.  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:38:19 AM by EarthNTX »

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
I didnt have to put that much effort into it. Just some short sharp jerks. I'm surprised yours is that difficult to move.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Not everyone is a gorilla like you TS
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
 Mark I'm gonna try it after work on Tuesday evening. I though it was from DDM installed the Gauge pillar pod now i know it is a factory Boo-Boo.Will let you know on Tuesday night.

Thanks for the tip
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
I didnt have to put that much effort into it. Just some short sharp jerks. I'm surprised yours is that difficult to move.

That thing won't budge. That's ok. The gap isn't that big and I may forget it's there ;)