Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Apple iPad - Review from a person who had no Apple experience  (Read 8908 times)

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
We bought an iPad a few weeks ago and I thought I'd do a review for people thinking of getting one.  We got the 32 GB wifi+3G.  Keep in mind that I have never had an apple product before in my life.  I have actually never even touched an apple product before in my life (not even an iPhone).  I've been on DOS and Windoz my whole life, so this was a real eye opener for me.

First, we have 2 apple stores in the nearby city.  Went to store #1 before the iPads were released to see what was up with apple stuff. We were treated like royalty in that place.  I asked and received correct answers (as it turns out) for well over an hour.  I told the guy up front I was not buying today, just learning.  He helped me well beyond what you would expect in any store by today's standards.  I have heard many good things about the apple face-to-face service, and it was bang on.  That's 1 giant plus for Apple.

Next we booked ourselves into an iPad workshop, at store #2 as it turns out, for scheduling reasons.  We were treated exactly the same as at store #1, so that first impression was not a fluke.  They gave us each an iPad to use and went through everything "apple" such as how the apps work, settings etc.  Well worth the hour.  Almost ready to buy now.

Then a few weeks ago I called Store #1, they did not have the exact product in stock that I wanted and they told me to go to Store #2, which we did.  Bought it, and they took the time to show us how iTunes would sink things up with my home laptop (PC).  She spent about 1/2 hour with us, after the sale, to make sure we would be fine with our first apple product ever.

Have been using it and enjoying it every day since then.  When you use an iPad for what it was designed for (surfing, apps, book reading etc) it is a thing of beauty!!!  I love this little thing!  Purchased the North America GPS app and it works very well.  With the top down, you just need to up the brightness to max or close to max and you can read the screen in the bright sun.  That is a very good app with 1 minor drawback.....It will get you very close to your destination and the maps for my part of Canada are accurate  BUT  it falls short on final destinations.  It's been off by as much as 1/2 block, and one time even had the business on the other side of the street.  All in all, I like that app for GPS though.  I built my own iPad holder for the car, cost me 1 used coat hanger and some hockey tape.  Holds the iPad securely, and I can still work the stock radio buttons, and climate control knobs and there is no danger of anyone stealing it, cuz it's so ugly looking.

Now comes the parts I don't understand the "what were they thinking about" parts.

#1) I buy an iPad that must sync up to another computer in order to get music, movies, pictures etc onto it??  I have a networked house, with a Network Attached Storage drive that contains all these sorts of files.  I cannot just navigate on the iPad to the music on the NAS drive (which is controlled by iTunes on another PC).  I have to sync up via iTunes with that computer to see my music.  Stupid.

#2) I can't store anything on this freekin thing!  I would like to move a few pictures from the NAS drive to use as screen saver, back ground etc, should be simple but nooooooo.  First I have to go to my Windoz PC, start up the apple product iTunes, and add the pictures to it there.  Then I have to sync up my iPad to be able to see them.  Stupid.

#3)  In order to sync up the iPad, I need to "plug it in"...WTF???  It's blue tooth and wifi capable, it's already on my network for internet access, but it's too stupid to see my PCs, printers, NAS drive etc and communicate with them?  A Cord?  Really?  Is it 1992 again?  Stupid.

#4)  There is no app that will work the same as Excel, 123, Word etc no matter what people tell you.  Pages/Numbers might be able to weakly display some documents, but you cannot edit and save or edit and export them to Excel/Word  I spent $10 on what was supposed to be the best app, better than Pages/Numbers.  When it opens a file, 50% of the formatting and 30% of the formulas don't work.  It's totally useless and if that's the best app for this purpose, the iPad will NEVER replace a real PC for work.

#4b)  In order to get that Excel file to a point where the iPad could open it, I had to e-mail it to myself because the thing is too stupid to recognize the mass storage device and go there to get it.  Stupid again.

#5)  The e-mail app is also from 1992 it seems.  I cannot create folders for storing e-mails, I cannot extract attachments and store them on the iPad, there appears to be no Filtering method in it either.  I am used to using Thunderbird mail and this rudimentary standard e-mail program that comes with the iPad is like throwing rocks at a sniper.  Stupid.
      *IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A BETTER EMAIL APP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

#6)  I had to buy the 3G version for $130 bucks more than the standard wifi model in order to have a GPS capable iPad.  Here's how it works.  You can buy an app that has built in maps like the North American one I bought.  That means your iPad can still tell you where to turn etc without being connected to any network, as long as it knows where you are right now.  Apple, in their wisdom, didn't include the GPS Receiver in the non-3G units.  A $1.48 savings on manufacturing I'm sure.  So what you say?  Just go get a blue tooth GPS receiver for $40 and the iPad will be able to know where it is by talking to the receiver using blue tooth.  NOT.  None of the manufacturers thought their units would be able to talk to the iPad, and Apple said they did not know.  Apple also does not sell one either.  So what was I supposed to do, save the $90 difference and hope it worked?  No, I coughed up for a 3G unit with a free sim card that I will never use.  Stupid.

So you can see (if you're still reading!) that I quite like this little piece of technology if you use it for what it's best at, but I have to say, I am not going to be drinking that Apple cool-aide anytime in the near future.  There are just too many proprietary rules, and weird things for me and that syncing up thing is moronic.  It uses a Cord for God's sakes....sheeees.
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Apple iPad - Review from a person who had no Apple experience
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:54:18 PM »
Well, most of your syncing complaints don't exist if the computer is a Mac. Photos, calendars, contacts, all sync effortlessly with no special attention required. That being said, many of your complaints are valid. Apple not having some form of wireless sync has puzzled me evert since the click wheel iPods were introduced.

As for word/excel, being a lifelong Mac user, I detest them and all of M$ office. The Mac versions are crippled versions of the real thing, but since I rarely use either anymore it's not big deal for me.

As for e-mail, I still use the default email app, works just fine for me. But then I've always liked simple e-mail setups...at work were I receive far more e-mails than home, I still have only one folder for incoming mail and search that when needed. I guess it just boils down to what you're used to having and the way you're used to doing business.

All that being said, I have no plans to purchase an iPad, I've got an iPhone and a Macbook Pro, and don't foresee myself needing any device to bridge the gap between the two.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
Good write up with the pros and cons.  About the GPS, don't know if you know this b tuere is a built in ofset on commercial GPS's.  No one will say exactly what it is, but it is I there.  Military GPS's are the only one's that are accurate.  If I plug my address into anyone of the 5 GPS, they all put me 6 houses down the street.  If I do a locate now on them, the address I get is a block away.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
but you cannot edit and save or edit and export them to Excel/Word  .... the iPad will NEVER replace a real PC for work.

The first comment is wrong to some degree.. I have done it myself, at least for word docs in Pages.  

I've opened ".doc" and ".docx" files that were emailed to me as attachments.  They opened fine on the iPad.  Edited them.  Then go back to the "documents" page on the iPad.  Select the "share" icon (a folder with an arrow in it) and then selected via "email."  You can then select ".doc" again, and the mail app opens with an edited ".doc" file, and you can mail it away with the changes/edits you made in Pages on the iPad.   There is also an "Export" choice which will also allow you to save as a ".doc" but you have to hook up to iTunes (via usb cable) to get that ".doc" to your PC, so I think emailing is better.  

However, there are real compatibility issues between Word and Pages.  Another word doc lost all formatting when opened in pages, so it is far from great at this point IMHO.

As for the second part I agree...this is not a laptop replacement if you create content.

And I agree, they need to make the iPad able to access other drives, etc., via WiFi at least.  Even syncing via WiFi.  But access to non-iTunes movies, etc.?  Not too likely in my opinion, given Apple's prior history in this area.   But it would be nice!

sunnygator
Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »
#5)  The e-mail app is also from 1992 it seems.  I cannot create folders for storing e-mails, I cannot extract attachments and store them on the iPad, there appears to be no Filtering method in it either.  I am used to using Thunderbird mail and this rudimentary standard e-mail program that comes with the iPad is like throwing rocks at a sniper.  Stupid.

I like the mail app, but I understand your issue.  The mail app on a Mac (which is my regular email) allows me to set up both local and IMAP folders, and I have quite a few.  However, on the iPad you can't create new folders, but you can use all the IMAP folders you created on the Mac.  If you're using a mobileme account, you can go to your mobileme account, and you can create folders there, and they will then appear on your iPad.  There are also filters and rules there too.

I assume that if you use another IMAP server, you could do the same in some fashion.  But the iPad does not allow you to create either local or IMAP folders, it only allows you to access IMAP folders created elsewhere.

sunnygator
Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:07:48 PM »
Critter....That's true, but the GPS units in a car (we have one that is 3 years old in our 300C) always seem to be accurate enough to determine which side of the street you are on.  So it must be accurate within 10 meters or something. The NA GPS actually thought the address was on the other side of the street...ie 520 whatever street was next to 521 whatever street....but all in all I'm happy with that app and it seems to know where I am within a few feet most times...ie pulled up to a stop sign, it shows me right at the intersection.

SG - The excel and word documents that I use are high in formatted content and formulas.  I know I could mail the updated document to myself (seriously, that doesn't seem stupid to you?) but when I open it on the other end, all the formatting and formulas that the iPad app did not translate, are GONE.  So technically yes I know you can do it, but if you do it, you will not get the results you want unless it's a totally simple doc or spreadsheet.
The mail is odd most of all because I do not use other IMAP servers like hotmatil or gmail.  I knew that going in, but I assumed (now who's stupid!) that any mail program would allow you to create folders and store documents in it...I should have asked that before hand.  Do you know if there is an app that will function somewhat like Thunderbird or even gag, Outlook?  I really miss my Junk Filters and auto filing scripts etc.  And the ability to click on an attachment and choose "save".....I know I'm old and perhaps stuck in my ways, but that just seems like a necessary function to me....and a cord to boot !!! LOL

Still, I would recommend buying an iPad if you want it for surfing, playing games, running apps, reading books or newspapers etc...it is a very nice piece of technology for sure.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:14:57 PM »
About the GPS, don't know if you know this b tuere is a built in ofset on commercial GPS's.  No one will say exactly what it is, but it is I there.  Military GPS's are the only one's that are accurate. 
From Garmin's site:
"GarminĀ® GPS receivers are accurate to within 15 meters on average."

[...]

"Newer Garmin GPS receivers with WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) capability can improve accuracy to less than three meters on average. No additional equipment or fees are required to take advantage of WAAS. Users can also get better accuracy with Differential GPS (DGPS), which corrects GPS signals to within an average of three to five meters. The U.S. Coast Guard operates the most common DGPS correction service. This system consists of a network of towers that receive GPS signals and transmit a corrected signal by beacon transmitters. In order to get the corrected signal, users must have a differential beacon receiver and beacon antenna in addition to their GPS."
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
Back in the 90's Clinton had the selective accuracy part of civilian GPS units removed...before they were accurate to within 30 feet, after this they became accurate to under ten feet. I've personally observed some of our GPS units to be accurate to within three feet.

I'm talking about civilian GPS units here, not military ones.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:29:48 PM »
Apple is over rated.  IMHO.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »
Perhaps I'm not as humble as I used to be!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »
I started an iPad thread for discovering interesting apps,  if you find some gems, please post there, it went way off topic because I hijacked it. But the original purpose was apps
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:58:12 PM »

The mail is odd most of all because I do not use other IMAP servers like hotmatil or gmail. 

So what kind of mail server are you using-at the host end?

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »
So what kind of mail server are you using-at the host end?

My mail server is the SMTP or POP mail account.  Basically, my e-mail sits on my ISPs server until I upload it to my mail application.  On the Intel machines, that's Thunderbird.  On the iPad it's the Mail app.  I have one of the Intel machines set up as the "owner" of the e-mail on the ISP server so that the mail is controlled by that one PC for deleting etc.  All my folders and filters are part of the mail application, although I think the ISP also does some basic filtering first.  Now that my mail comes into Mail on the iPad, there is no Junk filtering done at all, which means I'm seeing way more e-mail than I like, and it's all living in the in box until I delete it because there are no folders to file it in.

Soup - What does Jailbreak actually mean?  I've heard the term from time to time, but because it was an Apple thing, I never paid attention to it before?

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »

Soup - What does Jailbreak actually mean?  I've heard the term from time to time, but because it was an Apple thing, I never paid attention to it before?

KWhale,

Jailbreak?  What do you mean you don't know what it is?  How do you think I got back in to the free world?  You don't think they let me out do you?

You know what I was in for right?

scroll down

keep scrolling.. here it comes...

HIJACKING!    AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
Holy Crap!!! They can send us to jail for that?!?!?!?   :o

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
Uh good thing nobody knows my real name and that I have a fake location listed. (I am actually in France but no one will ever guess that will they Moby?)
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 11:20:55 AM »
Soup - What does Jailbreak actually mean?  I've heard the term from time to time, but because it was an Apple thing, I never paid attention to it before?
Basically it's a hack that allows you to do things with your iPad that Apple wouldn't allow you to do.  Like load non-Applestore apps for instance (like the Wifi sync app I mentioned).

Note: I don't have any Apple products, and so have not done this, YMMV, all responsibility is yours etc, etc.

For more info... and you knew I was going to do this... didn't you?... huh?...  Let me Google that for you

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »
Uh good thing nobody knows my real name and that I have a fake location listed. (I am actually in France but no one will ever guess that will they Moby?)

LOL yeah France.....that's my story too!!

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »
Soup ---OUCH on the lazy Google link!  I know I would have to do some reading but I thought I'd ask first because you "seemed" knowledgable   :poke:  about this whole Jailbreak thingy.  Thanks for helping just the same and when I have a few hours to spend on it, I'll follow those lazy Google links :huh:

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
Soup ---OUCH on the lazy Google link! 
Just happy to be of service :lol:

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 06:15:27 PM »
This is meant to be able to create and edit MS office type documents. Might do it better than Pages or Numbers, maybe there are others.

http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_connect_suite_iphone/

Also you can properly sync all kinds of files to the iPad, but yes, it has to be done through iTunes. I can see how this is annoying, but there is no internal filesystem that is exposed to the user, and that is very intentional.

IT'S NOT A COMPUTER, that's the point!

Wired sync... yes it sucks. But if you have 50GB of music and video and try to sync it wirelessly, even on 802.11N it's going to take a while. Apple is trying to keep it simple, and most people don't have to sync too often.

The GPS app having a problem knowing where a location is happens to be the fault of the application, not the iPad. There's tons of GPS apps out there, maybe you should contact the creator of the app you purchased, or try another one.

You can't blame the iPad because it doesn't have perfect Excel and Word document compatibility. Microsoft can't even get compatibility right between the Windows and Mac version of PRODUCTS IT CREATES ITSELF. How is any third party to be able to make this work if MS can't?

Unfortunately, Apple does have some major restrictions on the device. And they are for some really bad reasons. There are no true alternative email clients, Apple doesn't allow them. I am really upset that this is the case, but I understand why Apple is doing this.

1. Because they are going to own a massive share of the mobile device market and want to have complete control over it.
2. Because they want to keep the user experience really simple, since the average user doesn't care about all the things you don't like about the device.

Steve Jobs has said that since the platform is so new, that they have to take it slow before opening up things to make them behave more like a computer. Remember, it took computers a LONG time before they had multitasking.

So I would suggest that you return your iPad and get an Android tablet. That platform will be much more flexible for a more advanced user such as yourself.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
Kenny I think you missed my main point.....I love using the iPad for what it's designed to do.  As a review though, I wanted to present both sides because I think a LOT of people think this device could replace their main or work computer.....and we both agree that it won't.

I also am pretty happy with the GPS app, it just has some difficulties towards the end of the journey.....but it cost $30, so for that little amount of dough, I can put up with that.

As far as apple cornering the market piggybacking on thousands of customers....not a fan.  For blocking me access to things like file system etc "for my own good" that's crap and that's the sort of thing that will taint me against a manufacturer eventually.

And that dang cord....I do have 18Gb of music and another 6Gb of photos and about 40 movies.  I could care less if the first sync (cordless) took all day because after that the device could sync up on a scheduled basis, or during recharge, or when ever I decide.  It's just a quirk that should never have made it to production.  You would think someone would have stood up in 1 meeting and said "Hey, how about syncing up using the built in Wify?".

Again, all and all, great device for some things, will not replace you full function computer, and needs a much better mail app.

And don't get started on the cord.  :lol:

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
Anyone who thinks it can replace the computer is silly because Apple is not marketing it that way.

I'm sure Apple is interested in doing wireless sync. I mean they've been doing wired sync since the original iPod almost 10 years ago. Apple has thought of it, trust me. They have their reasons, I'm not sure what they are, but it's not cuz no one thought of it.

My guess is because networking can be really complicated, and because Apple cannot control the networking experience for their users. Say you get some crappy wireless access point/router from your cable company and the guy who sets it up at your house screws up something and you have problems syncing.

On the GPS thing, I'm sorry I misread your original post. I thought you were blaming the iPad instead of the app. I re-read and caught that. My bad.

The real problem with the mail is that Apple is not allowing 3rd party email apps. It's really annoying that Apple is blocking competition with it's own apps by saying that it "duplicates functionality" and confuses the users. This is BS and I hope Apple opens up or gets punished for it. Apple is blocking apps for no apparent reason, and the rulebook on what is allowed and not allowed is not clear.

Unfortunately, they still are doing it better than anyone else, if Android gets better I might make the switch. I'd love to run Android on the Apple hardware.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
because I think a LOT of people think this device could replace their main or work computer.....and we both agree that it won't.

Agreed by me too.  But there is a lot of potential left to be unlocked....and I'm looking forward to that.

sg