Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: LNF Oil Catch Can(OCC) setup possible from DDM Works. Investigating  (Read 33953 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
So there has been a crap load of discussion on oil in the intake and smoke from the tail pile and an explanation is in order of how things work.   I just got off the phone from Dave from DDM and discovered that what I learned earlier and Some New Guy posted is correct about the PCV valve. 

Facts:
1. The PCV valve is between the valve cover and intake manifold on the drivers side. 
2. The PCV hose is the hose between the air box and the passenger side of the valve cover and had a check valve in line.
3. The hose from the front of the valve cover on the passenger side that goes down to the turbo is a breather

Function:
Air from the intake enters the valve cover from the passenger side and exits in two locations.  The PCV valve which then dumps into the intake manifold and through the breather into the turbo.

Causes of oil in turbo - resulting detonation:
1. Check valve in #2 above is malfunctioning.  Easily tested.
2. Aftermarket tunes increase the pressure on the intake manifold causes oil to blow into the breather line at the front of the intake resulting in oil pooling in the bottom of the turbo and getting into the bottom of the hose as it connect to the turbo inlet side.

Fix:
Install a OCC as pictured in IBD's photo below.  Only one is needed.  This would capture the oil blown into the turbo due to excess pressures from an aftermarket tune.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

By request of Arabas I called Dave @ DDM Works and he said he will investigate a OCC kit solution and will let us know in one or two days.....

p.s.  Sorry Chuckdoc, we ordered possibly a unnecessary part.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:04:16 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline Yogi

• Master Tech
Re: LNF Oil Catch Can(OCC) setup possible from DDM Works. Investigating
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »
Can you describe where the lines on the OCC are attached?
2008 Saturn Sky Red Line
2.0 Turbo LNF
5 Speed Manual
Snowflake Wheels
Monsoon Sound System
Leather Seats

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
thx for clearing that Joe and thx for communicating with DDM.
Hope they will be able to offer us a quality product at a good price!!

finally, regarding the facts (1,2 and 3), maybe it would become crystal clear to have these three points marked in a picture or two of our engine (coz english terms are all greek to me :))

again, thx Joe
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
I updated the photo above with call out descriptions

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »
This still doesn't help with the fact that the "check valve" is prone to failure...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:53 PM »
But I don't believe the check valve is the failure now.  Chuckdoc's tested fine.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
This still doesn't help with the fact that the "check valve" is prone to failure...

They aren't really prone to failure, not when being used for the conditions for which they were designed. On a stock engine but if a tune is installed the occ may well be the way to go.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
It is me or something is not 100% clear?  :idk:

Function:
Air from the intake enters the valve cover from the right side and exits in two locations.
Just double checking. You are referring the braided hose which has the check valve connected to the nipple right after airbox to the valve covers on the passenger side, right? (right/left side is very confusing all the time)

The PCV valve which then dumps into the intake manifold or through the breather into the turbo.
[...]
2. Aftermarket tunes increase the pressure on the intake manifold causes oil to blow into the breather line at the front of the intake resulting in oil pooling in the bottom of the turbo and getting into the bottom of the hose as it connect to the turbo inlet side.
Ok, so when is boost, blow by to the turbo, but when is vacuum (90% of our time) what stops fumes to go into the intake manifold on the other route?

Causes of oil in turbo - resulting detonation:
1. Check valve in #2 above is malfunctioning.  Easily tested.
[...]
Fix:
Install a OCC as pictured in IBD's photo below.  Only one is needed.  This would capture the oil blown into the turbo due to excess pressures from an aftermarket tune.
If the check valves fails, we don't have any indicator other than checking that line from time to time? Uranium reported failure within 2 weeks after installing a new one. There are other ways to monitor oil leaks into intake through that line? Other solution than just checking the line?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
But I don't believe the check valve is the failure now.  Chuckdoc's tested fine.

So, if Chuckdoc's check valve (which is not the PCV valve? is it right next to the PCV valve in the pic?) is OK, then what you are saying is that the only reason he is getting oil in the intake is the higher pressure generated by the GMPP tune?  He still has only the GMPP, no additional tunes, right? 

If that is the case, I worry about a catch-22 for those of us who stuck with GMPP for warranty reasons. If we don't do anything, we could have engine damage of one sort or another because GM did not adequately consider the effects of increased boost on the PCV system.  If we add this catch can, I can see dealers saying you modified both the emissions and the crankcase lubrication systems and voiding warranties. 

I assume ChuckDoc is not interested in raising this with GM in someway and seeing if they will honor the warranty associated with GMPP tune and redesign the PCV system?
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
It is me or something is not 100% clear?  :idk:
Just double checking. You are referring the braided hose which has the check valve connected to the nipple right after airbox to the valve covers on the passenger side, right? (right/left side is very confusing all the time)
I fixed the first post changing "right" to "passenger"

Ok, so when is boost, blow by to the turbo, but when is vacuum (90% of our time) what stops fumes to go into the intake manifold on the other route?
From the way Dave explained it to me ....  and in my own words to make it sound correct...  Since the check valve is installed in such a way that it is like a "Y" junction and since rushing air passes the "Y" it forces more air past the valve thereby pressurizing the crankcase which forces oil to block into the hose that exits the front of the valve cover. 
If the check valves fails, we don't have any indicator other than checking that line from time to time? Uranium reported failure within 2 weeks after installing a new one. There are other ways to monitor oil leaks into intake through that line? Other solution than just checking the line?.
The check valve is red on the inside, a quick disconnect and check with a flash light will see if it is oily

So, if Chuckdoc's check valve (which is not the PCV valve? is it right next to the PCV valve in the pic?)
No the actual PCV valve is on the drivers side.
is OK, then what you are saying is that the only reason he is getting oil in the intake is the higher pressure generated by the GMPP tune?  He still has only the GMPP, no additional tunes, right?
He has a GMPP+Westers
If that is the case, I worry about a catch-22 for those of us who stuck with GMPP for warranty reasons. If we don't do anything, we could have engine damage of one sort or another because GM did not adequately consider the effects of increased boost on the PCV system.  If we add this catch can, I can see dealers saying you modified both the emissions and the crankcase lubrication systems and voiding warranties. 

I assume ChuckDoc is not interested in raising this with GM in someway and seeing if they will honor the warranty associated with GMPP tune and redesign the PCV system?
Probably not since he has GMPP+Westers and I don't think GM will waste any more time redesigning anything on the Kappa unless it is safety related.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
From the way Dave explained it to me ....  and in my own words to make it sound correct...  Since the check valve is installed in such a way that it is like a "Y" junction and since rushing air passes the "Y" it forces more air past the valve thereby pressurizing the crankcase which forces oil to block into the hose that exits the front of the valve cover.
I think you got me wrong.
Back to the basics:
Y system, one intake, 2 exists.

1. The PCV valve is between the valve cover and intake manifold on the drivers side.
2. The PCV hose is the hose between the air box and the passenger side of the valve cover and had a check valve in line.
3. The hose from the front of the valve cover on the passenger side that goes down to the turbo is a breather

Function:
Air from the intake enters the valve cover from the passenger side and exits in two locations.  The PCV valve which then dumps into the intake manifold and through the breather into the turbo.
I'm not asking why oil gets back into the hose #2, I'm asking what stops the fumes/residues to go into the intake manifold through #1.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
i believe that Kelu is right.
we may have to consider a dual catch can after all.
if the check valve fails (pcv hose), then we will get oil in the intake from there.
the OCC used on the valve cover breather, will have done its job, but the check valve will not have. and i believe it is not a solution to unplug it and check it every week.

if i may, i will post two links (one is for a Toyota) and the other from a Subaru forum.
i post them in order to see what others say for this case and to read general rules that apply to every car.
if it not OK to post these, pls delete them

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h63.pdf

http://www.815subarus.com/forum/index.php?topic=1030.0
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »
Arabas, great links.  Thanks

I thought this quote best describes our problems.  Perhaps a dual is required but I'd prefer to hear from the expert on the Kappa.  Dave

A quick explanation to add to Mcovins'.  A catch can, as stated above helps reduce atomized oil in the crankcase from entering the intake tract of the engine.  All engines even stock/ NA engines are affected by Ring Blowby.  This is a condition where combustion gases/fluids escape past the rings, and make their way into the crankcase.  The PCV system is in place to make sure that the crankcase does not become pressurized by these blowby gasses.  But as a side affect PCV valves will take some of the oil that has been atomized by the rods and crank whipping around and deposit it into your intake tract.

There are two reasons why oil in your intake tract is undesirable:
1. It lowers the effective octane rating of the intake charge making you more prone to detonation. 
2. It coats your intercooler lowering it's efficiency which raises intake charge temps; again making you more prone to detonation.

The amount of blowby an engine suffers from (assuming rings are in good shape) is roughly proportional to cylinder pressure.  A high cylinder pressure (such as those found in turbocharged cars) will naturally yield more blowby.  As you can see, this can quickly turn into a vicious circle of "more boost=more blowby"

This scenario is not a problem on the stock car because A. they are running relatively low boost and B. they are not running near as close to the detonation threshold as finely tuned hi boost enignes (such as Mclovins').  To assure safe knock free operation in cases such as Mclovins' you need as much effective Octane rating in your charge as you can get and low manifold air temps.  It is hard to do this with an oil contaminated charge lowering your octane rating and an intercooler not operating at peak efficiency because it's inner surface area is coated in oil.
Hope this helps, Martin

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 06:02:46 PM »
These pcv valve/catch can threads are getting a bit out of hand, you guys are blowing this way out of proportion and over complicating such a simple part/solution.
This was the first mod i did on my car over 3 and half years ago http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/gxp-needs-catch-can-new-intercooler-pipes-26786/

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »
Shabby,

Where's the final photo of it installed?

Offline shabby

• Master Tech

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
I assume you have had your intake off since then and there was no oil?

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 06:44:48 PM »
Bone dry.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
Thanks, that answers our friends question from overseas that we only need one catch can.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »
And that helps those of us with check valve issues...how?
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »
And that helps those of us with check valve issues...how?
You'd start by replacing the broken check valve or use a generic ball/spring pcv valve that can be had for cheap with a new hose.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »
Been there, done that, that one failed too. Next?
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
Try my second suggestion.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
PCV is the check valve, not to be confused with the PVC valve on the other side of the engine
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »
glad my pic was helpful, there is alot of awsome info in these occ threads..
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection