Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace  (Read 45994 times)

Offline dwdgraysol

• Tech
Re: DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »
Well, I received my cross brace for my 08 with a stage 2 supercharger. It took me about an hour and a half to install it this morning. The hardness part was installing the brace tower on the passenger side. There is not much room to get the brace in with the supercharger body. The air intake tube support also uses the shock bolt for mounting, so the tube bracket does get in the way. Had to loosen the hose clamps on both end so I could rotate it out of the way to get the cross tower brace in.
All in all it is a easy install and looks great. Can't way to put it thru a few turns to see how it handles. :thumbs:
2008 n/a sly auto,
DDM Works stage II SC.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Thanks dwdgraysol for your post and welcome to the Kappa Performace Forum!  Please report back after your test drive!
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
Well, I received my cross brace for my 08 with a stage 2 supercharger. It took me about an hour and a half to install it this morning. The hardness part was installing the brace tower on the passenger side. There is not much room to get the brace in with the supercharger body. The air intake tube support also uses the shock bolt for mounting, so the tube bracket does get in the way. Had to loosen the hose clamps on both end so I could rotate it out of the way to get the cross tower brace in.
All in all it is a easy install and looks great. Can't way to put it thru a few turns to see how it handles. :thumbs:

Yeap, the install is a little tight with the supercharger in there, let us know what you think after the test drive. On our test car we noticed a difference in turn in response and cowl shake over irregularities, the front end feels a lot tighter on ours now, let us know what you find with yours!

Thanks,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »

Uh, pardon the off topic on part of this post, but here goes and I wll receive heat for this but...snaponbob (Bob) has graciously sent me a PM that he would install the DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace if I was to have it shipped.  Now, I am already in his debt for installing my T-Bolt Clamps on Miss Red Eagle way back!  And I caught heck on that as well, and we just live accross town from each other, and way back we had a dual Dyno at the premier Dyno shop in the Kansas City area.   

Well, this post is getting way to long.  Thanks Bob for offering.  I am thinking...

Ron

You are absolutely NOT in debt to ME. It was my pleasure. Fortunately, the cross brace is a LOT easier than those clamps. Those were no fun on YOUR car and no fun on MY car. Bring the car over. It will take no time at all.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
Ta know, I forgot all about the cowl shake issue. With springs about triple the stock rate I get plenty of it. As a matter of fact, I have a cracked windshield from the flex as well. But, that said, the cowl shake is all but gone.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »

dwdgraysol 

:ttiwwp: 
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
Ta know, I forgot all about the cowl shake issue. With springs about triple the stock rate I get plenty of it. As a matter of fact, I have a cracked windshield from the flex as well. But, that said, the cowl shake is all but gone.

Now that remark Bob, should seal the deal for any who have yet to pull the trigger on the DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace.  Our 2007 GXP has the standard springs so the cowl shake issue is not even a factor.  I have driven Bob's 2007 Sky Redline and I was blown away with it.  Now, his remark that with the DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace "the cowl shake is all but gone" is a prime example of what you can expect if your purchase the DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace.  

What I am saying is, if you have any doubts, whatsoever, just do it!  Place your order and the smile will be as large as the one on Jack Nicholson's face in the movie 'Batman"!

Now, as soon as my Red DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace arrives and is installed, I will oblige and ask Bob to drive "Miss Red Eagle" again!  :thumbs: :2c:

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
Just go for, I let Joe do most of my installs :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
The hardness part was installing the brace tower on the passenger side. There is not much room to get the brace in with the supercharger body. The air intake tube support also uses the shock bolt for mounting, so the tube bracket does get in the way.

:agree: :agree: :agree: It took me about an hour to get mine installed last night. The passenger side is definitely a tight fit. Not much clearance in a few spots, but it does clear. When you stomp on the gas pedal, the engine doesn't rock and hit the cross brace. I was a bit worried, but it's all good. Handling has improved a bit after the install. More point and go without the sloppiness of loading and unloading through corners.

Pics:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:33:21 PM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2010, 09:34:03 PM »
Looking good, Joey! :thumbs:

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »
:agree: :agree: :agree: It took me about an hour to get mine installed last night. The passenger side is definitely a tight fit. Not much clearance in a few spots, but it does clear. When you stomp on the gas pedal, the engine doesn't rock and hit the cross brace. I was a bit worried, but it's all good. Handling has improved a bit after the install. More point and go without the sloppiness of loading and unloading through corners.

Pics:

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Good Job Joey!

What did you paint yours with? That is not how we sent it to you ;)

Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
Good Job Joey!

What did you paint yours with? That is not how we sent it to you ;)

Dave

Hehehe! You like that? I was really impressed with how my brake calipers turned out when I used the stuff this spring so I had already decided to paint the crossbrace with the same stuff. Dupli-color "Clear effects" paint gives that "starlight" sheen that you guys add to your powdercoating process. I applied 4 to 5 coats to the crossbrace and I think it turned out great! I'm thinking of using it or Shadow to paint the chrome charge tubes when I get Stage 3 from you guys. There are two other Duplicolor products I want to try and see how they work out: Shadow (chrome-blackout) and Nite Lites (a highly reflective coating). Are my stage 3 parts ready yet?  ;)
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
Joey, can you take a picture that shows the clearance between the bottom of the brace and the S/C?

Thanks,

GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2010, 10:33:49 AM »
Joey, can you take a picture that shows the clearance between the bottom of the brace and the S/C?

Thanks,

Sure. I'll snap some pics after work today.

Forgot to mention that the dimensions for cutting the wheel well liner are larger than they needed to be. I found that the 3" long cut on the rear sections were too long. The channel bulb rubber does not fit tight towards and on the rear section. I'll post a pic of that as well.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:41:30 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
Critter,
     Here's the pics you wanted plus the ones about the wheelwell liner cuts being too large towards the rear (I cut according to directions).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »
Your right when you say that there isn't a lot of room there. I assume that the fillers at the wheelhouse liners as pictured in the last few pics were not supplied by DDM?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »
Your right when you say that there isn't a lot of room there. I assume that the fillers at the wheelhouse liners as pictured in the last few pics were not supplied by DDM?

The channel rubber is supplied with the brace from DDM. Included in the crossbay brace kit: 2 x crossbrace towers, 1 x crossbrace beam, approx. 1 ft of channel rubber, and bolts/washers/nuts for brace assy.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
Forgot to mention that the dimensions for cutting the wheel well liner are larger than they needed to be. I found that the 3" long cut on the rear sections were too long. The channel bulb rubber does not fit tight towards and on the rear section. I'll post a pic of that as well.
I looked at your photos, but it only seems maybe 1/4" too long at the most (enough for error clearance).  Is that all you meant, or am I missing something?

Don't like the look of the rubber trim strips though.  I think I'll use a multitool saw and try and cut mine as neatly as possible and (hopefully) avoid the need for the strips.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2010, 10:09:28 AM »
I looked at your photos, but it only seems maybe 1/4" too long at the most (enough for error clearance).  Is that all you meant, or am I missing something?

Don't like the look of the rubber trim strips though.  I think I'll use a multitool saw and try and cut mine as neatly as possible and (hopefully) avoid the need for the strips.

Yeah, that's all I meant. It's only slightly too long. I'd rather have the channel rubber to seal the gap between the liner and the towers then to let it be open and possibly allow more road grime up into the engine bay.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »
Thanks Joey, number 2 is what I was concerned about.  With the brace I tested last year after going stage III I was hitting the brace there, hard enough to start cutting into the SC cover.

I don't have any rubber in my cuts, that is new with the new brace, but I have to tell you it doesn't sling that much grim into the engine bay.

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2010, 03:58:31 PM »
Thanks Joey, number 2 is what I was concerned about.  With the brace I tested last year after going stage III I was hitting the brace there, hard enough to start cutting into the SC cover.

I don't have any rubber in my cuts, that is new with the new brace, but I have to tell you it doesn't sling that much grim into the engine bay.

So how'd you resolve the problem? Modified the brace you have? I'd hate to think I can't upgrade to Stage 3 on 10/23 because I installed the brace. Obviously if this becomes a problem for me, the brace will have to go.  :devil:
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
So how'd you resolve the problem? Modified the brace you have? I'd hate to think I can't upgrade to Stage 3 on 10/23 because I installed the brace. Obviously if this becomes a problem for me, the brace will have to go.  :devil:

Joey,

He had one of the early prototype braces, not the same one that you have and that we are shipping now. The new braces fit Stage 1-3 Superchargers :)

Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »

Joey,

He had one of the early prototype braces, not the same one that you have and that we are shipping now. The new braces fit Stage 1-3 Superchargers :)

Dave

Thanks for the clarification and explanation Dave.

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline DRM

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
I installed my brace last night...I like it...my co-works think it looks great....Thanks DDMWorks.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:11:40 PM by DRM, Reason: smaller image »
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Deep/Ebony/Silver Stitching
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »
DRM, the DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace looks awesome!  Thanks for the picture!  Our red one has shipped and will be here friday, can't wait!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:58:32 AM by GXPinKC »

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust