Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: AutoX - Frederick MD - 11 Sept  (Read 17525 times)

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: AutoX - Frederick MD - 11 Sept
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:27 AM »
Some folks are worried about insurance co.s trolling autox boards.  I have heard its happened, but I do not know of any specific incidents personally.

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »
Thanks, Ben. That makes sense (cents).

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
I wimped out and only ran in the morning. A close call that echoed my crash last August + not having eaten anything meant I didn't feel up to running. Really enjoyed Larry's course once I learned it. A very smooth, flowing course were you could build up some surprising speed. I nearly learned that the hard way when I nearly spun off the lot. Felt like 4-wheel drift leading into oversteer, Ben rode along, maybe he'll add something. Anyway, this time I got the rear end of the car back under control and everything was fine. (Although once I finished things settled in...)

The big success of the day was all the information I gathered...as some of you know I'm considering getting rid of my car, both because parts are really starting to become scarce, and because I want something more track worthy. Well I talked to some people, and I'm working through my options. I've got a couple ideas I'm tinkering with.

:devil:

Wondered what happened to U in the pm.  Sorry you got rattled.  Frankly, as I said after that run, you caught it and controlled the car, and finished the run, so I figured it was one of those "any landing you can walk away from" deals.  Also, there was no curb, so even if the slide had continued, at most we would have gone off-road dirt rallying momentarily, earning some applause and hoots from the peanut gallery.  So, again, I didn't see it as a big deal, and had no idea it got inside your head so much.  After all, it was no worse than my 270 spin entering the stop box during the morning session.  One of the tips I did not put down in my list is not overthinking or reflecting too much.  I tend to do that.  

This really illustrates one of the points of autoxing (and Larry's good course design):  even if you push beyond the limits, autoxing is a safe place to see what will happen -- you and your car will usually not be seriously hurt.

If I knew you needed sustenance we could have stopped someplace after the gas station.  What, the incinerated hot dogs and brats did not appeal?

Anyway, I hope none of this discourages U from coming out and doing it again.   I hear you about thinking about your next car, but I actually thought your Sky was handling pretty well, and that you were doing fine in it.  Grip improved in the afternoon, and I am sure you could have turned a time at least in the 50s, and maybe even down into the 49s.

I think what is needed is just the right balance between figuring out what went wrong (but not overthinking), and then just emptying your mind and relying on your instincts and racing spirit once at the starting line.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »
Oh I will be out again, well when I can get off work anyway. Still shooting to be at the Cumberland Pumpkin Carve next month.

As for dipping out early, was just a case of not feeling mentally up to it, even though I knew that it wasn't that big a deal, (Which Treeman proved by driving off the lot and onto the embankment) it was all I could think about. I didn't want things to turn into the whole "All you could think about was the cone, and that's why you hit it" applied to a spin. Add to that not having eaten, and I had enough things against me to just think I was better off calling it a day.

As for the food, they were out when I wandered over. :banghead: I'll make a point of coming more prepared in the food department in the future...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
I forgot about Treeman's off-road excursion.  That was hilarious.  What was also good was that he just dipped right back down into the stop box and lined up for his next run.  As if no one noticed.

All good.  See you in Cumberland.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2010, 11:40:40 AM »
You mean I didn't get extra points for driving on the grass??  Shucks!!  After all, its is more challenging!!! 

I did not get food either - I wanted to do my run and then eat but by then the food was gone.  I had brought a few munchies so that was my lunch. 
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »
Treeman hasn't mentioned that little bit of information.  Phil I will warn you that if Larry tells you, that you can take the kink at Cumberland wide open, don't believe him, and that I know for a fact, but there is a lot of pavement to go round and round on without worring about hitting anything.  So the only think hurt is your pride.  Right Ben?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »
I spun plenty of times at the PCA A/X school. I just spun too close to the edge, in a manner too similar to my wreck last year.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
Treeman hasn't mentioned that little bit of information.

Man, he wants ALL the dirty laundry!!   :)
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
Treeman hasn't mentioned that little bit of information.  Phil I will warn you that if Larry tells you, that you can take the kink at Cumberland wide open, don't believe him, and that I know for a fact, but there is a lot of pavement to go round and round on without worring about hitting anything.  So the only think hurt is your pride.  Right Ben?

Absolutely. Its like losing your virginity.  Spinning out in the kink at Cumberland is a rite of passage.  The more rotations, the louder the applause and cheers from the sidelines.  And if you are gonna spin at 60 mph+ to see what it feels like, the tarmac at Cumberland is the place to do it.  Just don't hit any of the runway lights.  They're up to $300 this year.

And to give Larry his due, the only thing that is more likely to cause a wipeout in the kink than trying to go through it flat out is lifting, and he's right about that!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2010, 05:28:33 PM »
My spin in the kink at Cumberland was from lifting.  Not sure I could have done it flat out, either, but shouldn't have lifted just before turn-in, either...  lesson learned.  But it WAS fun!

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »
Brake before the kink and roll on that gas through it to shift weight to the rear as you turn in.  Or whatever works for you.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »
I lifted slightly when I ran there, enough to dump the boost but not off the gas. Car felt like it could take it flat out but by then I was out of tries. Not lifting at all on my first run next time.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins