Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Ten Tips For New Autocrossers  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Ten Tips For New Autocrossers
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »
Hello, Kappa nuts.  I posted these tips on the Capital Area Cobra Club site, and CDC cross-posted and made them a "sticky" on its site.  Also, the weekend after I wrote them, I placed second overall at a CDC event, so they might just work.  Anyway, I thought they might be of interest to newbie Kappa autocrossers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the 2010 season draws to a close, I realize I have been cone dodging for five years now.   I am not in the top tier of drivers, due to an unfortunate learning disability involving the neural pathways linking the right brain to the right foot, and an overall talent deficit.  But I don’t want your pity.  I am making slow and steady progress.    As a fresh new crop of budding sproutling CACC autocrossers take the field, I thought I’d collect and pass on a few observations and tips I have gathered in my autocross adventure.  Consider the source.  These are not rules for how to beat Wade, Larry and Fred.  They are tips for how to make progress and have fun doing it.

1.  Showing up is Half the Battle – If you don’t come, strap in, and get out there, you won’t get seat time and you won’t get better.  Period.  Don’t stay home.

2.   Don’t be Mr. Know it All. --  In every club, there are always instructors, and tons of grizzled veterans willing to offer advice.  Take advantage of the opportunities.  No matter how experienced a car guy you are, being a proficient autocrosser is a highly specialized art form.  Pay attention to what people are trying to tell you.  You will get a lot of perspectives (some good, some bad, and some just totally off the wall).  You will have to figure out for yourself what works for you, but the key is to absorb, not repel, learned knowledge.

3.  Play by the Rules – Autocross, like golf or any sport worth doing, has a certain etiquette.  Working the course is part of the deal.  Do it like you mean it.  Crisp and efficient cone-shagging and calling makes the event go smoother and gets you back in the cockpit quicker.  Don’t shirk work, and when you are out there, be alert and quick.  Nothing will endear you to your fellow drivers faster.  Corollary – don’t whine (publicly at least) about a bad call or a nitpicky tech guy.  Petulance and yelling is a downer for everyone.  Whatever it is, be a sport, shake it off and fix it.

4.   Bring the Right Tools for the Job --  Face it.  If you want to get good times, you are going to have to invest in tires, even in “street tire” classes.  You don’t have to join the constant, ever escalating arms race that goes on at the top of the field, but you can’t expect to mow anybody down by bringing a knife to a gunfight, either.   But be wary – most of the time, its not the equipment that is holding you back.  It’s the meaty bits behind the wheel.  Do not be the guy who blames his sway bars, shock settings, alignment, powertrain, everything but himself.  Most of the time, its you, bub.

5.   Find the Path --  Focus first on learning the course.  The course walk is not the freakin’ social hour.   Pay very close attention when walking.   Do not try to remember every cone, gate and turn.  Dice the course into a few sections, and look for key index cones marking transitions that you think you can pick up quickly at speed.  Use your first run for recon purposes to “burn in” to your muscle memory and your thick skull a clean  on course run.  Drive that first one  like a legally blind grandma if you have to.  You can go for speed and more perfect lines on the next runs.  Nothing causes frustration and despair faster than finishing a heat with no time at all.

6.    Keep on Pushin’ Baby – When I first started, I thought I should sacrifice time for clean runs.  So I’d try not to hit cones at all costs, and the price was slower times.  Bad tradeoff.  You will find yourself digging a rut, and its very hard to reinvent your whole driving style.  From the beginning, push the car and yourself to go faster, brake harder, get on the gas earlier and stay in it longer.   Watch how hard the really fast guys like Larry and Wade push and how close they come to the cones.  That minimizes the distance covered, and the time it takes to cover it.  Cones will die.  C’est la guerre.

7.  Look Ahead – Yes, it really works.  There.  I just saved you thousands of dollars in autocross and performance driving schools tuition.  I have done lots, and the central teaching of all of them is that the car is going to go exactly where you look. Do not pick your way through the course gate by gate.  As you enter one segment, already be looking ahead to the next one, it could be several gates ahead.  Even at autocross speeds, the next gate or two is history even before you get there.

8.  Be Silky Smooth --  Hanging the ass end way out and drifting looks cool, but all that friction is doing nothing for your times.  Smooth is fast.  Strive for nice smooth transitions.  Fred Kelley is a master of this.  His runs have an uncanny slowed down quality to them, until you hear the time.   Bastard.  Jim Harris, too.

9.    I Like to Watch --  Speaking of the fast guys, watch closely the runs of the super fast guys who drive like you wish you could.  Appraise their runs with a technician’s eye, not just a spectator.  If they are dumb enough to let you ride along, do it.  Notice when they turn in, accelerate and brake.  Pay attention to where their heads and eyes are looking as they go around.  Notice their car position as they approach and cross the key elements of the course.  Do not compliment them.  Their heads are too big already.  

10.  Don’t Give up the Ship – Above all, do not get frustrated and quit because you are not on the top shelf from git.  Also, some autcross clubs are cliquey, sort of like high school.  You may think people are laughing at you.  You could be right.  So what?  F**k them.  Unlike you, they have no other life, and are only big when they are making others small.  This shit is not easy, especially in a high horsepower , short wheelbase, light Frankenstein English roadster mated to a massive V8.  Plus, remember that they are just jealous because you have a cool car and they don’t.  Your best revenge will be to improve.  Plus, you will almost always have your CACC brothers to hang with, and several of our drivers command everyone’s respect.  So never mind the bollocks, and keep at it.  The way you must look at this is that the satisfaction is in the journey.  With more seat time, more of the mysteries will be revealed, and you will improve.  

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
Re: Ten Tips For New Autocrossers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
Thanks, Ben L! Great list!

#10 applies to regular life as well! :lol:

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »
Something I'd like to add...don't just watch, but ask the good guys to ride along with them.  During my TO runs, I'll ride along with a pro between my runs to just see if I'm taking the correct line and applying throttle/braking in the right spots. 

It's all relative though...I can't expect to go as fast in my automatic RL on kuhmo V710s than a 911 GT3 on Hoosiers and the new ProSolo National Champ in STX in his 328i, or Brian Peters in whatever the heck he drives :lol: But...you get to see how to drive fast up close and personal, and that is invaluable.

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
No need to add, V'guard.  Already covered in Tip No. 9 --

Speaking of the fast guys, watch closely the runs of the super fast guys who drive like you wish you could. If they are dumb enough to let you ride along, do it.  Notice when they turn in, accelerate and brake.  Pay attention to where their heads and eyes are looking as they go around.  Notice their car position as they approach and cross the key elements of the course.  Do not compliment them.  Their heads are too big already. 

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »
Great tips Ben, now if I could only remember them on the course.  CRS really sucks.  How's the pony?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:53:54 AM »
The only thing I can think to add would be that some autocrossing tecniques apply to daily driving as well, like looking ahead. I read somewhere that 90% of all drivers don't look more than 30 feet in front of their car. See everything! Look as far ahead as you can. What does the next corner look like? What is that pickup 5 cars ahead of you doing? It's already too late to worry about where your car is, figure out where it should be a few seconds from now. If you "See everything, focus on nothing" you will have far more information to use to make decisions driving, or autocrossing.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:55:24 AM »
Thanks, Ben!
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
Thanks to you guys.  U's point is well taken.  Autocross is sometimes billed as promoting street safe driving. Rightly so.

Its interesting that the first two days at Bondurant were "boot camp," where all students, accident avoidance driving, anti-terrorist evasive driving, and road racing alike, drilled in C6 'Vettes to learn the fundamental truths that:  (1)  the car will turn a whole lot faster than it will brake to a stop; and (2) look ahead and decide where you want to be, because the car is going exactly where you look. 

In the classroom, we were shown a slide of a desert highway with nothing around for miles in any direction but a single roadside pole, and multiple tire skids marks ending up -- guess where?  Smack into the pole.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
Thanks Ben L, sticked here also.

Spike

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:40:33 PM »
All good things to know

Offline QuickBlack

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
For all the new Autocrossers your post is very helpful. You describe comprehensively in 10 tips how to become an expert of autocrosser. The best tip which I like is that you say don't understand yourself as Mr. Know everything. Yeah, Definitely it happen sometimes that you feel overconfident due to which you get unexpected negative results. Be humble instead of feeling profound and be gentle with other Autocrosser even who are new. Thank you so much for great tips and I hope these are very useful for entry level crosser.

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
Crap! The SCCA B Street has been bombed by HP & AWD!  Focus RS!  Subaru and so on!

What will I do !  No longer competitive in BS!

Clear Skies,

Scanner
Scanner

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
Is the Kappa platform still somewhat competitive?

I'd like to get the Camaro to an autocross sometime, but I'm pretty sure I'm way past the decibel limit some groups have. That being said, I've largely converted to drag racing, not because the Camaro is poor handling but more because I find it to be cheaper.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »
Drag Racing being cheap? hmmm... I would say easier
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »
Cheaper as in costs per race for a normal or lightly modified street car.

Autocross:
Gas to get there - Closest venue was an hour away, many were 25.+.
Tire wear - Never got more than a year out of a set of street tires when I autocrossed. Was replacing tires at about 25% of their expected life.
Entry Fee - Some places were $30, most I think were in the $20's.

Drag racing:
Gas to get there - MDIR is 40 minutes away
Tire Wear - Even with burnouts, I'm still getting ~60% of expected tire life on the rear tires.
Entry Fee - $20

All that being said, drag racing being more convenient probably better describes the situation. It's much easier to just throw my helmet into the car and head to the dragstrip for an evening vs. planning out a longish trip to go autocross.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins