Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Air cooled PTE 5457 turbo kit  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
Air cooled PTE 5457 turbo kit
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:49:09 PM »
Recently I ordered the air cooled 5457 turbo kit from Dejon. The kit was a bit problematic.  the adapter for the turbo was welded 180 degrees wrong and had to re weld it correctly. The turbo is water cooled not air cooled as advertised, the instructions sent are completly wrong, the turbo had to be rotated, the waste gate also had to have the mounting bracket drilled differently, the  car fuse box bracket had to be cut and trimmed in 2 spots, they could not tell me what size waste gate they sent me , they could not tell what the a/r was on the turbo.  This is not a simple bolt on kit,luckly I have a wizzard installing the kit.  Currently in process of installing AEM turbo boost controller which is not part of kit. So basically I bought a kit that takes a expert to install. I am totally hosed for future mods to the turbo - changing to bigger/smaller waste gate or a/r etc without the chance of buying the same thing I already have installed.  Car will be dyno tuned next week
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
Re: Air cooled PTE 5457 turbo kit
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
Bro, I'm sorry about all the issues you've encountered.

i was wondering what made you decide to buy that turbo, and from that vendor?

he doesn't even know what A/R of the turbo that he sold you?

I never liked dejon's customer service..........

anyways, I hope that after all the issues you've encountered, you'll have a great running engine!!!  Good luck with the dyno session next week!

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:28:01 PM »
I feel kinda dumb asking this, but what is an air cooled turbo? Usually oil or water cooled, never heard of an air cooled  :idk:
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »
I feel kinda dumb asking this, but what is an air cooled turbo? Usually oil or water cooled, never heard of an air cooled  :idk:

They are for those old air cooled VW engines in the bugs and buses, they double the horse power bringing them up to 60hp.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »

never heard of air cooled turbos as well!

I've only heard air cooled intercoolers  :)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »
Ya no such thing as an air cooled turbo, its either oil cooled(dry bearing) or oil/water cooled(wet bearing). A/r says .63 on their website. Also the wastegate is probably 38mm, i think that's the biggest "door" you can fit internally in that housing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:09:36 PM by shabby »

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
That sounds pretty  :barf2: I also bought 2 things from Dejon, HP Tuners without any issues and intercooler including silicon couplers and tbolts. Silicone couplers and Tbolts were too big but what can I do being so far  :gaah:

There is another Solstice owner over BB with Dejon PTE5457 kit but he is not so active on forum, here is his site with info, pictures, dyno and a small video:
http://phixious.com/video.html

I consider his dyno plots one of the best kappa with upgraded turbo:

I hope your problems ended and you will have a great result, as far as I know PTE turbos are pretty strong.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
I think I would have had to send it back to Dejon.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
Yeah I would have sent it back. Why did you install an AEM boost controller. I didn't think it was necessary.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »
Normally I would have sent it back but I have my last Time Attack race for the season Oct 2nd. Placed third last race @Blackhawk Raceway and noted the car seemed to be getting slower. Found out the the problem when I took tthe Stock Turbo off-Nut for the waste gate loosened and the turbo was not getting max boost. I put a boost controller Gauge on the car for two reasons -Read boost, control boost not to go over 30lbs at which time you would probably need a second blow off valve. I got real depressed after install complete, the car was slower.I thought I was setting PSI of boost @ 29, realized the next day it was the % of turbo function,reset to 90%-made a short run threw 1st and 2nd, felt fast. Car is going to Werks Performance this tuesday for hp dyno tune before I give it a real test @ Autobahn raceway 2.1 miles track. Also installed a battery cut off switch under the hood near battery. All turbos I believe have oil lines.This one also has a water line like our stock turbo. Can someone tell me the steps for posting pictures, I have a bunch of mods that may be worth seeing.
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 06:10:03 AM »
bro, you can upload your photos thru www.photobucket.com.  Once finished, you can use the link underneath the photo......and copy and paste that link here.

hth

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS: