Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: white paint spots - how to remove?  (Read 7841 times)

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
white paint spots - how to remove?
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »
All,

My rear left quarter panel has some tiny white spots that I'm guessing are white paint droplets.  I've tried rubbing them out with just a microfiber towel and even a fingernail, but that doesn't do it.  On my "Cool" Sol, they don't show up that bad, but my better half's Chili Red MINI has them too, also on her left rear quarter panel, and they of course look much wore on that color.

Suggestions to remove these and cause minimum damage to the clearcoat?  Or has that ship sailed?

SG
Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: white paint spots - how to remove?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:15:46 AM »
I'm interested in a solution as well, I've got white paint specs all over my car's front bumper, side mirrors, and rear quarter panels. My usual polishing compound didn't do a thing. Really makes my black car look like crap...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:24:43 AM »
Try a claybar. Use either some soapy water or some quick detailing spray as lubricant and push down hard with the claybar using a back and forth motion.

If that doesn't work, you may try something like Poorboy's World SSR3 with a Porter Cable buffer.  Joe may be able to help you with this if you don't have one...

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »
Try a claybar. 

Did that already, no joy.....

If that doesn't work, you may try something like Poorboy's World SSR3 with a Porter Cable buffer.  Joe may be able to help you with this if you don't have one...
Def, I'll  I'll look into this one.....

any other ideas out there?

SG
Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »
Are you possitive they aren't chips?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
I would say clay bar since I took specks of yellow road paint off my truck that had been on for a few months.  Took a bit of rubbing with the clay bar but it did come off.  Your not going to do any damage as long as your use some soap and water mix and turn the clay bar often when  you can see it getting dirty.  Also not all clay bars are created equal and I would use a high quality clay bar and not the ones from most auto parts stores.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 04:54:44 PM »
Clay bar didn't do squat, the paint is bonded on there too well.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
Are you wheels wells splattered with paint? Wondering if you caught a freshly painted line on the hwy.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
Nope, my theory is it came off somebody else's car. Somebody could have come from a recently painted side road onto a main drag near me and the paint flying off his tires ended up on my cars. That's the best I can figure.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 06:26:58 PM »
The paint spatters on my truck were from a freashly painted yellow line and they were small spatters.  I wasnt sure how to take them off and I was just going to buff them out when I detailed my truck.  Months later I used a light polish compound and it didnt touch it so I tried the clay bar and it worked like a charm considering the paint had been on there for 2 months.  
Im just suprised that your FRESH paint spatters wont come off with a clay bar when mine were on for 2 months and they came right off.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 07:08:35 PM »
1. Clay bars are worthless, if a fingernail won't get it off neither will a clay b
2. I've really no idea how long the paint has been on my car. From March to September the car was washed a grand total of zero times, work has been crazy and all I can honestly say is there wasn't paint on it in March.
3. I'm not in the habit of repeating myself, and when I speak on matter on which I have authority, I expect to be believed. Clay bar, fingernail, mild polish didn't work, next step will have to be a tougher polish.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 07:35:49 PM »
If the paint spots are not from a catalyzed paint source, then using an acetone based finish reducer (like lacquer thinner) should soften them and remove them. Be careful not to rub too hard or the heat generated could ignite the vapors. You should be able to find a pint can at a local auto parts or home supply store. The lacquer thinner will not damage your car's paint, however it will remove any waxes or sealers you have in the area you're rubbing out. If the paint spots are catalyzed, you'll need a mild abrasive (1500 wet or finer) to remove them and then the clearcoat will have to be polished back using a buffing wheel and polising agents.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »
1. Clay bars are worthless, if a fingernail won't get it off neither will a clay b
2. I've really no idea how long the paint has been on my car. From March to September the car was washed a grand total of zero times, work has been crazy and all I can honestly say is there wasn't paint on it in March.
3. I'm not in the habit of repeating myself, and when I speak on matter on which I have authority, I expect to be believed. Clay bar, fingernail, mild polish didn't work, next step will have to be a tougher polish.
As for statement #3, maybe its just me, but you sound like an ass.  He's just trying help you after you adked for advice.  Its not like he told you to try brake fluid, aircraft remover, or a belt sander with 60 grit...

Maybe if you had washed it and waxed it sometime in the last 6 months you wouldn't be in this situation.   

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
Sorry Mike, but things like washing the car end up pretty low on the priority list when you're working 50-60 hours a week. For example, I only got to stop by the Mod meet on Friday for a few hours, I ended up working all day Saturday.

Yeah, I guess I overreacted, but when it comes to people telling me that claying should fix things when it's already been tried I get peeved. Seems like every single time I have a finish problem the response is "Clay bar!" While they serve their purpose, a clay bar won't fix everything.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline duramax

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »
Go to adams forums and sign up. Ask there you will get an answer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:05:05 AM by DeepBlueGXP, Reason: removed URL as non vendor »
2008 NA Sky Midnight Blue Black Top Black Leather Chrome Wheels Monsoon single disc Vector ECM WR Electric Blue V1 Sequential Turn Signals Pulsing Third Brake Light RL Exhaust Smoke Side Markers That Flash With Turn Signals. GMPP CAI and Splash Guards GM All Weather Mats Butt Plugs 35% Tint GMPP Saddle Bag JPM Center Console Bun Warmers

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »
Nope, my theory is it came off somebody else's car. Somebody could have come from a recently painted side road onto a main drag near me and the paint flying off his tires ended up on my cars. That's the best I can figure.

The other Car could have been going so fast the painton that car Liquified and got on yours.  Now I have used WD/40 and got paint off my PT spray on rag and rub Gently. All paints are not the same .pick a small spot to check first
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
 :huh:
Sorry for tring to help out.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
I guess I kinda owe you an apology, but that's a subject I'm already about half cocked about.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 11:28:18 PM »
Well thanks for the ideas, I'll let y'all know what pans out.....

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 03:59:29 AM »
sunnygator, on a previous car i owned (old crappy car) i had white paint spots ALL over the car.
my dad had visited a shipyard and he parked the car near the ship, that was painted at that time. wind changed direction and white colour was flying on the car...if it wasn t an old car, i would have had a heart attack.
i tried everything, and i mean everything...but nothing worked out. so what i did was rub it with acetone WHICH OF COURSE RUINED THE CAR COLOUR but removed the spots... never painted the car after. now car is turned to a can or something.

SO, what i suggest, is to seek professional help. IMHO, the parts with white paint spots need to be repainted to the original colour. maybe it s time to refresh the colour of your car.

Sorry about this accident...
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Kagem

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 05:45:21 AM »
That is what will happen with pure acetone, Arabas has a point. You can try some nail polish that has acetone inside but is not that strong to ruin the colour of the car, you can experiment on some parts underneath that are not visible unless you bent under the car....

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »
When I had paint spots on the front of my car I went to my favorite body shop. (I think it was from those stupid lines in the road.) I have no idea what they used but it wiped right off.  I'll check with them today.

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 07:57:52 AM »
Maybe I should have qualified myself before I offered my suggestions...I'm a veteran of many years of the autobody repair business. If you read my earlier post carefully you'll notice I did not say "pure acetone," the suggestion was for an acetone based sovent such as lacquer thinner or equivalent. That will not damage a properly cured catalyzed OEM clear coat. If the finish was a 20 year old enamel or lacquer coating - well then, the acetone based products would indeed do a lot of damage. That is not the case here. I stand by my original posting.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 08:04:05 AM »
Maybe I should have qualified myself before I offered my suggestions...I'm a veteran of many years of the autobody repair business. If you read my earlier post carefully you'll notice I did not say "pure acetone," the suggestion was for an acetone based sovent such as lacquer thinner or equivalent. That will not damage a properly cured catalyzed OEM clear coat. If the finish was a 20 year old enamel or lacquer coating - well then, the acetone based products would indeed do a lot of damage. That is not the case here. I stand by my original posting.
Rogue, i wasn t "fighting" your post, i was just sharing my experience with an 1983 Audi 80 i had, in order to state that professional help would be needed. i was saying that with acetone you can remove the spots, but i found out that you will remove the body colour too. what you are saying is a different product, friendly to the body paint and i understand that.
sorry if my post wasn't clear enough
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »
Arabas - The Audi probably had a thermal set lacquer, aka TPA or thermal polyacrylic (or possibly enamel) finish, both typical of the late 70's and early 80's. If so, then the acetone probably did indeed lift a lot of the finish right off the car! I didn't mean to dispute your post, rather, clarify that the OEM kappa finish was not likely to suffer that kind of damage. Thanks for your repost.
Go N.A.K.3.D..