Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Front brace types comparison, cross-bay, ladder, DDM, Werks, LatinVenom  (Read 10777 times)

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
There are a few different front suspension braces available. I will try to collect as much reference information in the first post as possible for historical reasons. If you think there is something that should be added here, send it to me and I'll put it up.

DDM Cross-Bay brace: http://ddmworks.com/sky/suspension/cross_bay_brace.html
Werks: http://www.performanceautowerks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=334_165_216&products_id=1697
LatinVenom: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=5206.0

In the diagram below (thanks TomatoSoup!), the red indicates the DDM brace, the blue for LV's brace, the Werks brace is further towards the front of the car than LV's according to this post http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f102/front-frame-braces-63378/#post961854

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Discuss away!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:40:04 PM by Kenny »
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
Re: Front brace types comparison, cross-bay, ladder, DDM, Werks, LatinVenom
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 01:04:29 PM »
I wanted to keep my opinions in a separate post. So here we go:

Traditionally a tower brace is used with a MacPherson strut type suspension since the top of the strut is used for locating the wheel instead of a second wishbone. Our car which is double-wishbone, has the wishbones for locating the wheel and determining where it moves and the shock is solely for damping, there is little, to no, lateral force on it, just up and down. Also notice, that the top of our shock is mounted pretty much directly to the frame! So I don't think shock movement is that big of a concern. That's a really solid spot!

So after this you may think that the DDM part is completely pointless, it's not doing what a traditional tower brace does, because our car doesn't NEED a tower brace!

That being said, the DDM brace creates an O shape where there is a U shape on the chassis. I think that this probably helps the chassis frame rails from moving up and down, or twisting. It just happens that they used the shock tower points for mounting since there is no other place to do this. I think this may be why they don't call the product a tower brace, it's performing a different function than other products called that.

On Werks and LV's brace, or "ladder" style braces. To me these seem less likely to prevent twisting of the chassis given they just go straight across. They would be more effective at keeping the frame rails from moving towards or away from each other on a horizontal plane. But between the under engine brace and the front bumper, I think it could be redundant.

That being said, I trust Werks and LV when they say that there is a positive effect in handling.

Both of those things being said, if you are competitive, these parts may make you have faster lap times, but the weight of them may cancel that out. But if you are not competitive, and they make your driving feel better, get all of them and enjoy!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:15:29 PM by Kenny »
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:19:18 PM »
The DDM unit is very light. I would assume that the other two braces are light as well. If one is a solid tube versus a hollow tube, the hollow will be stiffer, but I can't imagine that they are solid. An extra 5-7 pounds will not degrade times as much as the chassis stiffness will help improve times. In my case, the DDM is the only class legal solution, and that should be a concern for anyone that is racing in a class structure - SCCA or NASA.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »
OK, So I'll move my enquiry here as to whether having both DDM's and LV's would pass the point of diminishing returns...

Kenny, you said that the Werks brace is in the same location as LV's, but my understanding was that it was further forward than that (based on this: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f102/front-frame-braces-63378/#post961854 ).  I think that LV's is fulfilling much the same role as DDM's and that's why I'm wondering if both are worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I think LV's design is simple, elegant, easier to install (no d*mn PS can relo) and above all, cheaper!  But I already have the DDM one and have been through the install pain :)

I think either one would be good.  But both? I'm guessing not really required, unless LV's brace would help with lateral expansion flex between the rails over and above DDM's.  But even then, how much would that be noticeable?

All (intelligent) responses welcome.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »
Kenny: some explanations about struts and double-wishbone? Maybe pictures? :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:40:43 PM »

This is not the thread to teach people about the different types of suspensions. Sorry.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
Kenny, you said that the Werks brace is in the same location as LV's, but my understanding was that it was further forward than that (based on this: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f102/front-frame-braces-63378/#post961854 ).

Updated the main post with this info. Thanks.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
Let me start by saying the Werks brace is not really forward it appears that way but it is not.
The problem with their brace is the design, it tries to accomplish the U but it makes it harder to install. It needs to be install by a professional because of the design.
Our cars DO NOT HAVE A SHOCK TOWER. If you look at Kenny's drawing you will see, as he points out the shock is mounted directly to the frame.
My Kappa Front Chassis Brace uses a hallow tube design 1" in size. It also uses the chassis rail with a side ways T to capture or close the U.
My Kappa Front Chassis Brace is a SOLID PIECE with no moving parts, that lucks the front chassis rails.
The thing that I find troublesome to the DDM design, is their use of BOLTS to secure the upper part of their brace. You will need to check them periodically to see if they have loosen any.
I understand in the case of the SCCA you MUST use theirs.
The best way to check and see if there are differences or advantages is to have Tomatosoup test the differences.
All he needs to do is remove the upper part of the DDM brace and install mine.

Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »
The best way to check and see if there are differences or advantages is to have Tomatosoup test the differences.
Gee thanks, LV! :lol:

I was hoping to not have to do that :) 
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:07:29 PM »
By the way if you find it that both braces are redundant, then have one of the folks in the new waiting list get it from you.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
Gee thanks, LV! :lol:

I was hoping to not have to do that :) 

Oh come on TomatoSoup, take one for the team!   :D
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
Let me start by saying the Werks brace is not really forward it appears that way but it is not.
The problem with their brace is the design, it tries to accomplish the U but it makes it harder to install. It needs to be install by a professional because of the design.
Our cars DO NOT HAVE A SHOCK TOWER. If you look at Kenny's drawing you will see, as he points out the shock is mounted directly to the frame.
My Kappa Front Chassis Brace uses a hallow tube design 1" in size. It also uses the chassis rail with a side ways T to capture or close the U.
My Kappa Front Chassis Brace is a SOLID PIECE with no moving parts, that lucks the front chassis rails.
The thing that I find troublesome to the DDM design, is their use of BOLTS to secure the upper part of their brace. You will need to check them periodically to see if they have loosen any.
I understand in the case of the SCCA you MUST use theirs.

That is why we ship the braces with crimp top lock nuts :)

LV - I was modeling up what I think you are doing for your brace in CAD and was wondering if you are only using the single bolt on each side for attachment? Also are you attempting to make an interference fit to the frame rails on each side? Thanks, just want to run some simulations on it :)

Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »

This might help: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
That is why we ship the braces with crimp top lock nuts :)

LV - I was modeling up what I think you are doing for your brace in CAD and was wondering if you are only using the single bolt on each side for attachment? Also are you attempting to make an interference fit to the frame rails on each side? Thanks, just want to run some simulations on it :)

Dave

Dave,

It also uses the chassis rail with a side ways T to capture or close the U.
Maybe I did not make myself clear.
There are a total of 4 bolts that are part of the Kappa chassis rails.
I posted a picture of the Kappa frame and circled the area where the 2 bolts are located on each side.
I had mine in the car for about 3 months with no issues.
The prototype on my car can not compare to the final production model.
The fabricator making it, uses a CNC plasma cutter to make the parts.
Dave,
I really do not want to compete with you guys, it also goes the same for Werks.
However neither one of your products fit my criteria, yours requires for the OEM engine cover to be replace, a NO in my book.
Werks had the correct idea, but I think he over designed to be able to price it where he did.
I honestly do not know why he did it that way, it looks to much like the front sway bar.
Also if you do some simulation with CAD you would need a little more info than just how it is secure to the rails.
You would need the pipe size which I have already disclose as been 1" or the same size as the front sway bar.
Then you would need the geometry of the sideways T and it thickness. Let's just say it is a lot thicker than the one use by WERKS.
One last thing you would also need to know where the pipe connects to the side ways T.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:59:38 PM by LatinVenom »
Solstice GXP 2007.

Offline old goat

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 07:40:33 AM »
My grandpa used to say there is more than one way to skin a cat. I like options, I like options a lot.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »
My grandpa used to say there is more than one way to skin a cat. I like options, I like options a lot.

I as well old goat.  Pick and choose!  That is the American way, and it is good to share input that helps clarify the issues of this thread.  Then those who are undecided can make an appropriate decision.

Thanks Kenny for beginning this thread.  Very informative indeed!  :thumbs: :2c:
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
Is there a standard test in the industry to test the results of theses chassis stiffeners?  There are hundreds of them on the market for thousands of different cars / trucks.  Surely someone has come up with a way to test the effectiveness other than the simple "butt" test?  Some of us like quantitative data to evaluate...
Make the right choices now

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »
In our case you could have one of our best AutoX driver test them on the same circuit.
Solstice GXP 2007.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »
Come on TS there is only a few bolts to remove from the top of the brace
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
Is there a standard test in the industry to test the results of theses chassis stiffeners?  There are hundreds of them on the market for thousands of different cars / trucks.  Surely someone has come up with a way to test the effectiveness other than the simple "butt" test?  Some of us like quantitative data to evaluate...

If you saw the Hot Rod Magazine V8 Solstice project, GM used CAD programs and whatever software they use to design cars to find the weak spots and strengthen them. I am not sure if any old CAD program is able to do things like this, or if the software that can do it are priced out of the range of most parts makers. But that would be the most realistic way to have an industry wide test afaik.

DDM has done a test for the Backbone where they measure flex based on how much the 4 corners move when you jack up the car.  Not sure if that test would apply much here.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
Hey does anyone know if GM added any strength to the front of the chassis when doing the Hot Rod Solstice project? That would be a good indicator if it was necessary.

I know they put a plate style support in the passenger footwell, where the fusebox is.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »
The Hot Rod used a 7 liter Corvette V8 and it was rated at 585 bhp  I believe the install also included a T56 six speed transmission from a Chevy SSR as well as a Cadillac CTS-V rear axle.  Yes, there is quite a write up on pages 106, 107, and 108 in "The Pontiac Solstice Book"  written by Gary Witzenburg.
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »
Dave uses a CAD program to design his products, I believe he can run some tests on the design
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
Dave uses a CAD program to design his products, I believe he can run some tests on the design

Yeah, but I'm wondering if he apply forces to different parts of the car in the software to see if how much the braces reduce flex.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »
In order for Dave to do an FEA (finite elemental analysis) he is going to have to have a pretty complete CAD model of the car.  Which I doubt anyone outside of GM has taken the time to draw. Your talking hundreds if not thousands of hours of time to draw.
2007 Aggressive GXP