Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Dave fixed problem with previous tune  (Read 7276 times)

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
Re: Dave fixed problem with previous tune
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »
This is weird...maybe something to have Lyndon look into?
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 09:17:40 PM »
Lyndon should have his file saved but would have been interesting to save the file on the ECM to compare or look to see if anything was corrupt.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »
I've been running the same tune for over a year with no drop off at all...something electrical must have happened...maybe a short which corrupted some tables in the tune?
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 11:14:07 PM »
But how do you explain the other ECM with the GMPP tune only making 217 WHP.
Lyndons Dyno is very conservative because is one of those Eddy current type.
So if he was pushing 280+ on Lyndons then on a Mustang it would be higher.
2 ECM's with different tunes and both showing the same WHP, something had to had happened to both ECM's.
I would dig a little deeper, because I think your DDM tune is also going to go bye bye.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
DickW,
Didn't you also have your TCM and or a spare TCM programed by Lyndon? Maybe that is in some way connected? :idk:   :huh:
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline frictionfighter

• Master Tech
  • Squirrel!
    • Friction Fighters
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »
Apologies for the interjection, but I would be careful naming threads like this.  A simple google search returns this thread which appears to be negative towards one vendor.

An ECU losing a tune is not unheard of...have you contacted Lyndon regarding this?
Furthermore, these cars seem to be electrically...finicky...

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »
Anything electraical could cause a corruption in the tuning of the car.  I have electrical glitches all over the place...I had my TCM tuned also, but they are separate units and should not interfere with each other.  

I can't count the amount of times where something electrical flashes, blinks, dims, resets, etc., and then the next day it is all back to normal.  I would contact the first vendor and see what he says...he is the tuner and I am sure he has probably had some experience with this in the past.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »
Apologies for the interjection, but I would be careful naming threads like this.  A simple google search returns this thread which appears to be negative towards one vendor.

An ECU losing a tune is not unheard of...have you contacted Lyndon regarding this?
Furthermore, these cars seem to be electrically...finicky...

I was not faulting Lyndon. I know something caused it to lose the tune. I just don't know what.
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline 2.0 tspeed

• Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »
You guys crack me up
1. Both ecus dyno about the same.
2. Your gmpp ecu was acting fine. Then you just wanted a better tune and got lydons ecu.
3. We now have 2 ecus. So you mean to tell
Me if you had electrical problems after you took
Out the lydon ecu the  same electrical problem happens when you put in the gmpp ecu then you switch back to the lydon ecu reflashed over it and electrical problem dosnt happen lolz.
And you get the hp you wanted
Can anybody tell how the same electrical problem
Has not taken out his ddm tune yet. If it wiped
Out his gmpp tune after he stuck it right in right after his lydon tune then wouldnt you think it would erase the ddm tune come on guys am
I the only one who thinks this is fishy

Formally Slowsol with a 07 solstice gxp e85 331whp 400wtq trifecta tune
2013 verano turbo

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »
We were just as surprised by Dick's initial dyno's as everyone else here on the boards is. The numbers that he was getting did not seem right for the mods that he had on the car, but we ran several dyno runs on the car and the best we could get was 222 at the wheels. I believe something happened with the tune in the car also as some of you suggested and told Dick that on Saturday. The tune that we downloaded out of the ECM did not look like anything that I have seen before, and knowing Westers tuning abilities, think that somehow the tune got switched back to a stock like tune.

Our dyno is also an eddy brake dyno, and not a pure inertial dyno, just FYI.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
You guys crack me up
1. Both ecus dyno about the same.
2. Your gmpp ecu was acting fine. Then you just wanted a better tune and got lydons ecu.
3. We now have 2 ecus. So you mean to tell
Me if you had electrical problems after you took
Out the lydon ecu the  same electrical problem happens when you put in the gmpp ecu then you switch back to the lydon ecu reflashed over it and electrical problem dosnt happen lolz.
And you get the hp you wanted
Can anybody tell how the same electrical problem
Has not taken out his ddm tune yet. If it wiped
Out his gmpp tune after he stuck it right in right after his lydon tune then wouldnt you think it would erase the ddm tune come on guys am
I the only one who thinks this is fishy

I do not think an electrical problem caused the issue, as the tune is not written into volatile memory and is very stable, but do think that possibly the tuned ECM was accidently flashed by the dealer back to a stock tune when Dick went in for service. We really are not sure what happened and there is no way to know for sure what happened.

When we pulled the tune out of the ECM, we noticed a couple things immediately that sent up a red flag for us that it was most likely a stock tune. It did not look like a Wester's tune, the air load tables were much lower than what we see usually, the timing tables were low, the cam tables looked to be stock also. Just bumping the air load tables up got us to the 250 range, then we did some more runs and added some timing back in and got to the 260 range, added the cam profiles we run and picked up a bit more to end up just over 270. Still a bit lower than what we are getting on other cars we have ran on the dyno here, but a big improvement over what he showed up with, and his being an automatic lowers the numbers also compared to an automatic.

There is nothing fishy about the car dynoing were it did when it came in, with the air loads it was running, lower timing, and stock cam profiles it seemed about right power wise.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline 2.0 tspeed

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
Dave what I'm saying is op stated he had another ecu with the gmpp tune and said he stuck it in right after so how is the gmpp ecu corrupt as well when it wasn't  in the car whe. He took it to the dealer do you understand what I'm
Saying. :-/ I'm not accusing but the op
Just left out tons of info

2013 verano turbo

Offline 2.0 tspeed

• Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
Slowsol, Boosting 25 psi and making no power you cant run 25 psi on stock tune.
That is what happened. Dave can confirm this.
 I have two ECMs. One had the Westers tune and the other had the stock GMPP tune. We swapped them around and there was no difference on the WHP. both around 217.
 SA no we didnot save a copy.
see Dave how
Did the other ecu get corrupt 2 when it wasn't in the car

2013 verano turbo

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
see Dave how
Did the other ecu get corrupt 2 when it wasn't in the car

There were 2 ECM's that he brought, the "tuned" one was in the car when it arrived and we put it on the dyno. The stock ECM was in the trunk when he arrived. We ran the "tuned" ECM first on the dyno and came up with the 217-220hp numbers. Then we thought that we would try the other ECM in the car, just incase it was mismarked for some reason. So we put the "tuned" ECM back in the car and I asked Dick if I could take a look at the tune and see what was in there, he said that was fine, so I read the tune out of the "tuned" ECM. Once I opened the "tuned" ECM file I saw what I mentioned above about the load tables, timing, cams, etc. and mentioned to Dick that it looked very stockish. So then I made a simple change to the air load table, gained power, made another change, gained power, and so on until we ended up where we did. The stock ECM was never flashed or read, just put in the car to make sure the ECM's were not labeled incorrectly.

The night before this happened we had hit well over 300hp at the wheels with another LNF and later after Dick's car Joey's supercharged car broke 300whp also, so nothing wrong with the dyno.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline 2.0 tspeed

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »
Ok ok Dave I get what your saying. The op stated the other ecu had the gmpp tune on it and it dyno the same as the corrupt lydon ecu gmpp tune dosnt dyno at 213 so it looks like you guys never dynoed the stock ecu with the gmpp tune on it you just put it in so it wouldn't  get mismatched. Thanks for clarifying the op just didn't give enough info :-/ sorry for the hassle

2013 verano turbo

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
Anytime I took the car to the dealer I put the stock ECM in the car. I did this twice.
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
Thanks Dick and Dave for all the information. This is strange indeed! Hope you are able to find some resolution to the ECM issue at hand. Interesting thread to follow...
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 04:10:02 PM »
i strongly believe that by human error, the tuned ecm had been flashed back to stock (dealer or someone else).
only this makes sense, or that we have the first ecm catching a "cold" or something..
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 04:21:11 PM »
If it had been flashed back to stock why was I getting 25 lbs boost?

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »
DickW i am not an expert, i would say gmpp (23 psi??) + conditions that made the turbo raise a pressure of +2psi??
does this make any sense? altitude, humidity ?
i dont take boost as a measure of power.

other thought: someone with access to your car and HPT messing with your tune and didn t tell you so you won tget mad at him/her??
sorry, but it really sounds weird...

glad Dave supported you and you have your power back!!!!!
i also belive Lyndon should know about it. Lyndon and Dave@DDM together can maybe work together and check what happened. or maybe they could combine powers and give us a 350whp tune !!  :yay:
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »
ARabas, with GMPP tune I max out at 19 PSI.
I did call Lyndon and he doesn't know what happened.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
Just a thought.
Could one of the pins on the ECM be slightly bent, corroded or broke?  Could this expain the situation as the tune may have not fully loaded.  Also weird things happen if there is a voltage dip or spike when loading or reading a tune.  That's the reason why you need to load and read with everything off and a good laptop and vehicle battery.
Had an issue where my laptop battery was not fully charged but  still had 1hr of use left and the voltage must have spiked or dipped because after the load my car would not start and my lock on the gauge cluster was illuminated.  I Put my backup battery in and relaoded and it was fine so the battery on both vehicle and laptop need to be fully charged.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:08:04 PM by tazz »