Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: dead Battery  (Read 10568 times)

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
Re: dead Battery
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
3yrs. 57k and still cranking strong.

Mike

5 years - over 66K and still good to go

<crosses fingers as to not jinx myself>

Offline old goat

• Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »

I wonder if the short battery life has to do with its location.  Batteries hate heat and ours is located near the turbo and the cat (for those that have them).

You have a good point, the NA's do not have the same problems, as Smartin mentioned, seems to plague the turbo's.

No problem with Sears, there employee's are not the sharpest and I pretty much only buy tools there, just becuase I can't afford Snap-On, I have some Snap-On stuff and to be honest have had a much easier time gtting my broken Craftsman stuff swapped out, but then again that is the Snap On man not the company. Sears is now owned by K-Mart, not sure how that happened most K-Marts are still dumps.

Now back to the battery, lots of good batteries, I needed one with a lot of juice due to my stereo, that's why I picked the Odyssey, then found out the Sears Platinum was the same but $100 less, I would by a Hello Kitty battery if it worked and saved me $100.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
Admit it LG you would buy the Hello Kitty battery even if it cost you $100 more. :poke:

I have the same problem with some Snap On screw drivers, no one around to exchange them and it cost less to buy new ones from Sears then to send them back to Snap On.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
5 years...original battery here.  Something I learned from my boats...check and fill batteries often.  Nothing hurts them more than loss of liquid caused by heat induced evaporation, or the same caused by "trickle" chargers.
Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car. Cust. Rests and Pockets
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace
Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51:25 AM »
5 years...original battery here.  Something I learned from my boats...check and fill batteries often.  Nothing hurts them more than loss of liquid caused by heat induced evaporation, or the same caused by "trickle" chargers.

Oh oh.  I thought the stocker was a sealed battery?

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 08:34:02 AM »
It is.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
I have ~45K and 2 1/2 years and still cranks strong. It has never failed to start on the first key turn. I think I may have an alternator problem though...
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »
Oh oh.  I thought the stocker was a sealed battery?

GJ

My stocker is an ACDelco 9486 "maintenance free" battery.  But, it has removable tops on the cells and can be "maintained".
Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car. Cust. Rests and Pockets
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace
Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to start checking it or get a New one from Walmart 36 month 980 CCA .Been using their batteries since 1989 ,If it failed to start withjn the warranty time it got replaced.Started with my 47 Pontiac been through 7 batteries in 18 yr. only had to pay for the last one when I sold the Car 2  1/2 yr ago and only pd 1/2 the cost .Was 76.00 and pd 35.00.So if the warranty won't cover new ,Walmart here I come :thumbs: :yay:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23:04 AM »
Pardon the slightly off topic 1 LIL NDN, but by now Walmart should have offered you some free stock in the company with all the free business you have given them!  :lol: :rofl: :thumbs:
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 08:22:17 PM »
Pardon the slightly off topic 1 LIL NDN, but by now Walmart should have offered you some free stock in the company with all the free business you have given them!  :lol: :rofl: :thumbs:
Ron they were all FREE replacements still under warranty .They do stand behind their Store policy. In almost 19 years i've only shelled out 35.00 . Why would they give me Stock after costing them $$$ .???
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »
Ron they were all FREE replacements still under warranty .They do stand behind their Store policy. In almost 19 years i've only shelled out 35.00 . Why would they give me Stock after costing them $$$ .???

I've heard the CostCo batteries are backed by great warranties, and have relatively mediocre at best durability, but people just keep having them changed over and over.  Not that big of a problem, but on the kappa where it's a bit of a pain, is it worth it?

Anyone with personal experience with the CostCo batteries?  I have 3 friends, and they typically get 2 years, and as soon as it gets to near freezing, they leave em stranded.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
Just remember if any one is topping off their "maintenance free" battery to use distilled water instead of tap water.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
I don't remember what the average battery life is. I think it was around 30 months or so. If it lasts longer then you definately got your monies worth! When I worked at AutoZone we changed out a lot of batteries from cars only 2-3 model years old.

I bought a used battery (Duralast) while I worked their and 3 years later it is still running strong in my Tahoe. From what I saw of the Duralst batteries they are high quality. Rarely had to replace one within 4-5 years of purchase date. Can't say the same thing about the Optimas we sold. Lots of problems with those and I am not sure if AutoZone even carries them anymore.