Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Installing a turbo on my LE5  (Read 13451 times)

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
Installing a turbo on my LE5
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »
**Updated with a more clarity for the project at hand.**

This is just a simple bolt-on gt2871r turbo (53/71 compressor wheel and 86a/r turbine) install for a LE5.  Most hardware sourced from BoostedSol's old turbo setup.

Using an adapted Saab turbo manifold ported to match the 28's turbine inlet.

For this particular build I picked up a cheapo GXP IC and made some Home-Depot mounts.   Need to get this part finished first and the rest should just bolt-in.  Once everything is in place I'll be welding up a set of proper IC pipes and probably find an aftermarket IC even further down the road but this is all on my DD and the girl said the project couldn't interfere with our snowboarding trips.

img1: before
img2: initial attempt
img3: whoa too low.. it's definitely not this low anymore.
img4: "custom" angled bracket. trimmed up the excess after final fit.

Werks supplied the oil and coolant lines/fittings and the oil return bung.  

Next I need to see if the injectors I have lying around will fit.

More pics to come.

**Update 1/29**
-Lots of neglected maintenance
-Figured out the lines for the turbo

**Update  4/25**
-Car has been road-worthy for three weeks now but there is still a lot left to do. (attached new pics)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:20:52 AM by idkfa »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Installing a turbo on my LE5
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
Split this into it's own thread. 

Did you buy a kit from Hahn?

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
Thanks, now that it's here it may be motivating enough to actually finish this off (it's only been a few years).

I bought BoostedSol's kit from John when it blew up a few years ago hoping for a simple swap but there was just a lot of extra complexity for which I wasn't prepared.  Splicing in the piggyback fuel controller and secondary billet fuel rail would have been doable but the Cobalt laminova (air to water) intercooler required the AC line to be removed/unhooked and moved and while it would super cool (pun, ugh) to run, it adds another point of failure and more weight so I just decided to simplify everything.

I just picked up a GXP IC with the stock piping for $50 and a GXP fascia for $50 from the forums and had Werks build the oil and coolant lines.  I'm sure there's a GM Map sensor lying around somewhere and i'll need to pick up a set of injectors before tuning but if I'm not forgetting anything, that should be enough to get started. I'll probably just wrap the manifold and throw a beanie on the turbo for now but getting them coated would be ideal.

Maybe this thread can turn into a how-to for anyone wanting to piece together a turbo LE5 while I bungle through the learning process.

I'm not sure if the IC is mounted as properly as possible, there's another thread on here with some pics of a GXP IC swap that I used as a template but it still seems to sit pretty low.  That's why i took a torch to the angle brackets and bent them back a bit but the evaporation tubes still sit below the fascia.  I also still need to make some sort of sheet-metal belly pan as temps have risen just from putting this in front of the radiator and removing all the plastic air guides. 

It's been sitting since as the Star Specs don't like the snow :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:24:04 PM by idkfa »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
Wow, brave soul you are.  Keep up the work and keep the photos coming. Interested parties want to see :)
Make the right choices now

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
Brave indeed, glad I bought the turbo to begin with.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
Hopefully in the end he will have more power than a tuned GXP.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
BoostedSol was shooting for a streetable 400whp with all his hardware decisions and had it tuned to something like 330 or so on 'high boost' before selling the car for a e90 335i (and adding a couple more turbos to that) and came with some (oddly-heavy) forged Carrillo rods and (3) of the Werks lower-compression pistons (one got eaten in the rocker failure).  

The laminova heat exchanger would be pretty damn cool and BTF suggested hooking it up to the AC compressor to get an even colder charge but my plan for the initial setup is just bolting everything on and running it around 8psi. I want to get this spooling as quick as possible rather than shooting for max power first and then can plan out something down the road. From what I've read we start to see valve float first before we run into and of the internals' rpm/power limitations.

Getting the IC mounted properly was really the only 'fabrication' I needed to do on my own so now i just need to figure out where all the lines need to go.
Looks like the popular oil supply is a hex-head oil-galley towards the front of the block on the passenger side and coolant is right behind the turbo near the firewall.  

Is there an issue with getting enough oil pressure up-wards from that location?

edit: attached a shot of the AC line I couldn't get the Cobalt intake around.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:53:38 PM by idkfa, Reason: attached shot of air-water exchanger »

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 02:19:09 PM »
BoostedSol was shooting for a streetable 400whp with all his hardware decisions and had it tuned to something like 330 or so on 'high boost' before selling the car for a e90 335i (and adding a couple more turbos to that) and came with some (oddly-heavy) forged Carrillo rods and (3) of the Werks lower-compression pistons (one got eaten in the rocker failure).  

The laminova heat exchanger would be pretty damn cool and BTF suggested hooking it up to the AC compressor to get an even colder charge but my plan for the initial setup is just bolting everything on and running it around 8psi. I want to get this spooling as quick as possible rather than shooting for max power first and then can plan out something down the road. From what I've read we start to see valve float first before we run into and of the internals' rpm/power limitations.

Getting the IC mounted properly was really the only 'fabrication' I needed to do on my own so now i just need to figure out where all the lines need to go.
Looks like the popular oil supply is a hex-head oil-galley towards the front of the block on the passenger side and coolant is right behind the turbo near the firewall.  

Is there an issue with getting enough oil pressure up-wards from that location?

edit: attached a shot of the AC line I couldn't get the Cobalt intake around.

Those 3 oil plugs on each side of the block supply the main bearings, so they are a very good source for the oil for the turbo and is where we have always used on our setups.

What are you planning for an oil drain?

Are you looking at running the air/water intercooler and the air/air? :huh:

Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
Those 3 oil plugs on each side of the block supply the main bearings, so they are a very good source for the oil for the turbo and is where we have always used on our setups.

What are you planning for an oil drain?

Are you looking at running the air/water intercooler and the air/air? :huh:

Dave

Great, that was my impression but I don't like to guess :)

I did have Werks throw in their oil drain plug when they built my coolant lines.

The only thing left I think I need to worry about is if these injectors will work (granted, I haven't pulled the fuel rail to check but have been trying to find more info online).  They are made by Siemens/mototron but i can't find this specific part number:  Siemens KA Mototron s107 (also had 4193b0088 printed on them).

Sorry for the confusion I should have left that last picture out.. I'll just be running the air to air for now.  Perhaps down the road I'll find a cheap shortblock, add some Sleves, the forged internals and include the air to water.  It'd be nice but just not practical down-time on the DD for now.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:42:31 PM by idkfa »

Offline Yamatr3

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:52:59 PM »
Glad to see you starting!! Good Luck.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Ha, thanks man.  I never wanted to start a 'build' thread because it's ridiculous how long it's taken to get this installed. What, three years?  DeepBlueGXP pushed me right out of my comfort zone :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:03:18 PM by idkfa »

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
Hey idkfa, best of luck with your project!!
unfortunately i can't be much of help, but i think your IC is too low (as you already said).
can it be placed a bit higher so that almost all of it is in front of the two big openings?
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »
Ha, thanks man.  I never wanted to start a 'build' thread because I was ashamed at how long it's taken.  DeepBlueGXP pushed me right out of my comfort zone :)

Your post on the other thread would have withered away and you wouldn't be getting the necessary attention for such a exciting project.  No matter how long it takes, your stepping in areas that others may follow so it's better to have a place to call it out.  Think of yourself as a pioneer. 

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »
Pioneer?  Aren't they the ones that got attacked by the Indians?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »
Your post on the other thread would have withered away and you wouldn't be getting the necessary attention for such a exciting project.  No matter how long it takes, your stepping in areas that others may follow so it's better to have a place to call it out.  Think of yourself as a pioneer.  

Oh i definitely agree, thanks!  If I was more organized this would be a better guide. Maybe I'll keep the first post updated.

Hey idkfa, best of luck with your project!!
unfortunately i can't be much of help, but i think your IC is too low (as you already said).
can it be placed a bit higher so that almost all of it is in front of the two big openings?

Yeah, that's the thing.  There are two slanted supports that run up to the bumper mount that push the IC down the further back I mount it..  I can move the IC forward a little more to clear them but I was worried about running into the fascia.  I'll definitely have to take another look at that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:04:54 PM by idkfa »

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
You can also check to see if there a different between sol & the sol GXP front bumper beam & bumper supports. That it mite help raise you IC.

Good Luck.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »
Yeah, I really hope that's not the case.  Either way, I could probably push it a little forward and it'll sit flush with the bumper beam.  It was a little too dark to take a decent pic after the final adjustment but tomorrow it should be finally be un-buried from the snow.

Thanks!  I really can't wait to have a little more power. 

Anyone remember what Compression's final numbers were from his gt2876r build?

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Hahn has turbo kits for 2.4L One of note is the Bullrun Solstice. If you have problems I'm sure they could help, or at least try to sell you parts :)
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »
Yeah, they do more to sell kits than anything else.  I even tried to source their power steering relocation a couple years ago and they said it was only available in the kit.  Werks has been extremely hospitable to my weird requests and I'm sure DDM will be getting some scratch for some more odds and ends (like their relocation kit).

Anyone *not* relocate their ps reservoir?

I'll be heading over tonight to test the injectors and vac fittings and maybe start wrapping the manifold.  Hoping to be ready for install this weekend!

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
I returned my PS to the stock location trying to get rid of the sub 30F cold start whine. My whole exhaust side of the turbo is wrapped.

I also have bigger lines going to and from the reservoir.

Just remember that bigger is mostly better unless you plan on redoing the system again, like IC and the like. I would not use anything from the GXP/RL as most members replace everything anyways.

Spend $600 on HPTuners and fixed fueling and spark the right way, not with piggyback stuff type band-aids.

07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
That's a good point, the wrapping would really keep temps down as well as keeping heat *in*.  I have PS whine on my NA just after a few ax runs (but have started to use Redline fluid so we'll see how that works.

I do plan on changing up the IC eventually.  I have th air to water lying around and am always on the hunt for a good deal on more efficient gear but couldn't pass up $50 for the piping and IC to get everything up and running.  Cutting out the crimps in the stock pipes is probably first, though, as it's a pretty simple fix.

Thanks!

Offline zzzybil

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:58 AM »
 :drive:     GOOD LUCK !!!  i'm thinkin back to when i was a pioneer - goal to survive    :worms: in uncharted territory......... :nuts:........ back in 2006 was nuttin nice.....

daily driver   :huh:........ thats your major obstacle as i see it - if thats true....... i'm thinkin you need a beater or dibbs on one........ aww well for as long as you've had to think it out ... :lol:
 just sayin cuz mine sat weeks on end - it was a slow progression
mostly trying to learn as i went & while i saved  $ to keep up with stuff i needed or thought i needed - redid  and got it together.....
 fighting with the tuning - was my biggest  nut to crack-> i think i survived because i could park it at times till i got help / answers .......... that should be a breeze now days

:urock:..........have fun !

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
ZZ welcome how is that pioneer woman and car doing now?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 01:24:09 AM »
:drive:     GOOD LUCK !!!  i'm thinkin back to when i was a pioneer - goal to survive    :worms: in uncharted territory......... :nuts:........ back in 2006 was nuttin nice.....

daily driver   :huh:........ thats your major obstacle as i see it - if thats true....... i'm thinkin you need a beater or dibbs on one........ aww well for as long as you've had to think it out ... :lol:
 just sayin cuz mine sat weeks on end - it was a slow progression
mostly trying to learn as i went & while i saved  $ to keep up with stuff i needed or thought i needed - redid  and got it together.....
 fighting with the tuning - was my biggest  nut to crack-> i think i survived because i could park it at times till i got help / answers .......... that should be a breeze now days

:urock:..........have fun !

Yeah, it's definitely tough, especially when it gets buried in a blizzard on Star Specs.  I'm just grateful the girl's dad moved into a condo down the street with a massive garage.

Got a start friday, dropped the oil/coolant/ps fluid, manifold/cat and a thermostat bolt.  Greased the sway bar bushings and replaced the thermostat; gotta find a replacement bolt though, hopefully it just falls loose tomorrow.  Just got my Saab manifold back from ceramic coating, the PS relocation kit from DDM, a new torque wrench with lb-in settings so I think i'm ready to go.

I have the turbo pretty much plumbed between what came on it and the box of oil and coolant hardware and hoses from Werks.

Their setup:
-6 AN fittings (which I just learned the AN/16 convention which would make these 3/8s and made a lot more sense as I figured this all out).
3/8" heater/coolant lines fitted with 90° hard-line bends to a coupler for the fittings
3/8 mip to barbed fitting.

What puzzled me were the hard bends on the coolant hoses.  Our Heater Core hoses are 1" but no Ts or any other hardware was included so I'm only going to use one.  The turbo already came with a 3/8" inlet hose with a banjo bolt so I'm taking that directly into one of the heater core hoses.

And then coolant-out is going to use one of the included 3/8" hose.  I don't know why all the hardware is included but it's a shame not to use it.  The result is a 3/8" barbed fitting.  I might cut part of the stock heater line and increase this from 3/8" to the full 1" and then back into the engine block but I'll have to see what Lowes has in the plumbing section.

Little octopus:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:29:13 AM by idkfa »

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »
I did similar by T'ing into the two heater lines on my Hahn turbo.  I used two coolant flush kits from Prestone or something like that in each line.  Each line either provides coolant to or away from the turbo. 

My turbo is wrapped and throws allot of heat into the rubber coolant lines connecting to the turbo.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.