Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Installing a turbo on my LE5  (Read 13515 times)

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
Re: Installing a turbo on my LE5
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »
Do you know why their plan was for the hard line on the coolant hose? I just picked up 1x1x1/2 Ts from lowes and might just cut off those bends.

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »
Metal keeps it form from the heater core to the engine bay and the water pump out to clear the engine especially the belt.  Soft lines are used to accommodate the engine movement.  These cars have very soft mounts as I can grab the turbo the rock the engine back and forth.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 01:42:56 AM »
Yeah, there were barbed fittings on the turbo originally but I found the -6 AN fittings that fit so swapped the outlet over. That's definitely a good idea around that heat.

Everything's slowly coming together. Got the manifold mounted but I'm thinking I might just pull the coolant outlet and swap in the other fitting.  Need to order one more -4 oil inlet fitting as I seem to only have one so I stuck that in the block and I need to order a turbo beanie and injectors tomorrow.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:46:23 PM by idkfa »

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »
good luck!

That set-up will kick ass! :)

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
It could be just a change in atmosphere sometimes the pressure rise or lower will tip something that is right on the edge.  If you don't wash the coolant off it'll stay in place just about for ever.  :)
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
It could be just a change in atmosphere sometimes the pressure rise or lower will tip something that is right on the edge.  If you don't wash the coolant off it'll stay in place just about for ever.  :)

That's why I haven't completely flipped a lid.  I did spray a good amount of coolant over the back of the engine when I removed the heater lines but it was definitely a little disconcerting.  Thanks! :)

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »
Car is up and running but there's a lot more to do.  What a blast!

Current work list:
--radiator: (went from 190 coolant temp on average to 212 and 220 sitting still). I had replaced the thermostat during the downtime, hopefully that doesn't have much to do with the rise (was occasionally showing the ---F error before).  I also don't have any of the bottom-feeding ducting installed at the moment as a build a new guide for the front so that's also a contributive.   There's a local guy who is a whiz with AL and stocks some quality cores so I'm going to have him find the closest size and weld-up some fittings.

--clutch:  Dyno tuning topped out at 10lbs of boost as the clutch would slip on anything more.  I really need to re-gate the turbo so I can control it more than just with the clutch slippage (i'd like to grab a 7lb replacement gate and then just add my boost controller).  We won't know total power until then but the car is so much more lively around town.. AND I'm averaging better gas mileage because I'm babying the hell out of it.

--moar tuning.  Currently running a safe tune to get the car on the road and there's a lot more tweaking that we need to do.  

On to the [terrible] pics :
Thanks Werks for the plumbing lines.
See photo 1

A little overview.  Ceramic coated Saab manifold. Custom adapter for the GT2871r.  Need an intake tube :).  Ebay turbo beanie.  
See photo 2

Mustang catch can and DDM MAF tube.
See photo 3

Intercooler brackets are fairing well.  Picked up that fascia for $50 from a guy whose wife ripped it off the car backing out of the garage.  Needs a *little* work but fits-ish.
See photo 4

Thanks BuzzardT for the most excellent hard top!
See photo 5 and 6
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:59:02 AM by DeepBlueGXP, Reason: removed inline attachment to let forum manage photos »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
Sounds like your ----F is a loose connection on the radiator temp probe. 

Your intake is a hot one, what about changing the location.  Where is your MAF sensor?

What is the part on top of the radiator in front of the engine?

How much Hp did you get from the turbo upgrade?

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »
I'll check the probe but the old tstat had a broken inner-seal and I hadn't seen a duplication yet.  Just surprised at the temp increase, some kits reported minimal change.. My intake, or lack of, probably doesn't help; that's also on the list.

That's my oil catch hooked into the vac system.

Couldn't get a great power reading due to the clutch but wheel torque was approx 290 @ 3300 but whp only made it to 210. 

Offline Buzzardt

• Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »
Glad that you have it up and running at last. Get all the little kinks worked out and then kick some ass.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 06:50:54 AM »
Thanks man...it's just the tip of the iceberg :)