Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Buttress Not Releasing (Pick To Open)  (Read 23185 times)

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
Re: Buttress Not Releasing (Pick To Open)
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
I want to give out a Thank You to U4EA! :urock:
My passengerside buttress gave out on the way home today.  :gaah:
Got home came here to Kappaperfomance and in 10 minutes I had my trunk working again!
Great pics and info!!! :yay:
Tganks Again U4EA!!!!  :yay: :urock: :cool:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »
Another note not sure if this is your root cause: I've totally jacked up the top where it flys open when you're going fast.  I found if you release the main lock on the front of the top, it will create slack to unjam the pin from the trunk hole (the pin is putting lots of pressure, so friction holds the buttress in).  This assumes you don't have an issue with the cable release mechanism that is.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »
No, just the plastic clip that keeps the ball at the end od the cd able for the buttress failed and broke apart.
Fixed it with a plastic wire tie.
But thanks for info.
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
Another note not sure if this is your root cause: I've totally jacked up the top where it flys open when you're going fast.  I found if you release the main lock on the front of the top, it will create slack to unjam the pin from the trunk hole (the pin is putting lots of pressure, so friction holds the buttress in).  This assumes you don't have an issue with the cable release mechanism that is.

This is my problem.  When I had new canvas put on my top, the place has it adjusted so it is hard to get the top to latch and I think that puts too much pressure on the pin.  I can usually get the buttresses to release when I unlatch the top.  I need to adjust the top, but I never remember to look on here for how to do that.

Offline KEP3

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2021, 06:04:17 PM »
I can't get mine to latch without a couple slams. And sometimes it pops up on it own.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:07:43 PM by KEP3 »

Offline rob the elder

• Tech
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
Check that both latches are operating correctly   You can observe them by looking down into the buttress mounting port in the trunk.  lube them to make sure they are operating freely.  If they are not, you can access them through the bottom of the trunk lid.  The plastic latch that connects the cable end to the latch is a known failure mode.  Make sure its intact and functioning correctly.

The male end of the latch on the buttress is held in place by a nut that is hidden inside the canvas.  You can try to access it from inside the top or you can use a towel to protect the canvas and retain the nut while unscrewing the male latch pin.  Once its loose, you can move the pin laterally to improve mating and you can extend the latch to better engage with the trunk female latch.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2021, 12:03:42 AM »
If you can't push the buttresses down with a single hand. Not to where they latch but to the point where the pins go into the holes there could be a fitment issue. The fabric on the buttresses shouldn't be pulled taught you should be able to move the fabric when the buttresses are latched. If the fabric is pulled taught then there can be one of 2 issues. The fabric is installed incorrectly, meaning it is positioned to far forward on the frame Because of how the top gets attached with rivets and contact adhesive  the top may not be able to be positioned correctly on the frame to fix the issue because of holes and or glue. Or the top it's self was stitched incorrectly. I have replaced more then a few tops on various different kinds of vehicles and I have dealt with tops that  were not constructed correctly (usually too small) which causes all kinds of issues when opening and closing the top.

I do not believe the ribs/bows in the solstice top are adjustable. If they were then some pressure could be let off the fabric and it would allow the top to close easier. I would have to double check the the mechanical schematics for the frame of the solstice top to be sure. I believe the ribs/bows are riveted in place. The rivets can be drilled out and the holes where the rivets went can be reamed out so they are oval   to create an  adjustment spot.

There should be some give to the material on the top. If you drop a quarter from a foot above the top onto it, the quarter should not bounce or bounce a really small amount. if it bounces an inch or more then the top fabric is too tight.

When closing the top you should not have to push the front bow where the latch is in order to get the latch to hook. you should be able to put the top up. jump in the car and make sure the chrome pins are sitting on top of their holders at the corners of the windshield and then move the lever. the level will move the hook and the hook should catch and draw the top into the windshield frame. It should be a nice and easy thing to do without having to push on it at all.