Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: The Intercooler Thread  (Read 96779 times)

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
Re: The Intercooler Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
I agree that $500 is below the others. Next closest would be Werks at $625.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
So that list is the current GM Powertrain warranty, which has changed since 2009.  You did inspire me to look in the glovebox, where it turned out I still had the warranty booklet.  The Charge Air Cooler, its fan, and a whole bunch of other stuff are actually covered under the emissions warranty for some reason. Tony read it and agreed with me, so right now they're looking at it so they can order the parts for my covered repair.  Whew- that was a thousand dollars I wasn't looking to spend right now!  Thanks, GJ!!!

I love happy endings.    :cryin:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
In this case, with all other engine parts on Reed's car stock and no tune, I'm inclined to say getting the free replacement from GM is the way to go.  If Reed had some inclination of building power later on, I can absolutely see the benefits of taking this opportunity, and might then let GM swap the IC, then order a Hahn or similar unit, swap them and then sell off the stock IC.  At minimum, the stock IC would cover the cost of someone swapping the two ICs at the upcoming MMM9. (If GM would just give the replacement part to Reed, I'd say that's even better, but they never do that from my experience.)  From what I know, Reed does not have any plans for Go Faster goodies at this point.  As such, my initial thought that GM takes care of their problem stands.

GJ
painfully well thought out
Make the right choices now

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »
Enough intercoolers have ballooned up that I'm aware of it and realized what was going on before it completely failed and I found coolant all over the garage.  Given my low level of technical expertise, I'd already come to the same conclusion that elff did about the factory part.  Tony the service writer suspects it failed because of the fan issue not cooling it properly so there is a valid possibility that it's really just a symptom and could've otherwise lasted the life of the car.

I did consider asking if they would install the Hahn piece instead, but decided against that for two reasons: it's not a drop in replacement so I'd have to ask them to make modifications, and for $600 I can get a pretty good hooker and a decent amount of blow.  While upgrading would be ideal, their decision to replace the entire cooling system at no cost to me was too good to pass up.  If it only lasts another 40K miles I can always go aftermarket later.  As GJ pointed out I have the stock tune, no go faster mods whatsoever, and no plans for any, so the factory piece should suffice.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
Enough intercoolers have ballooned up that I'm aware of it and realized what was going on before it completely failed and I found coolant all over the garage.  Given my low level of technical expertise, I'd already come to the same conclusion that elff did about the factory part.  Tony the service writer suspects it failed because of the fan issue not cooling it properly so there is a valid possibility that it's really just a symptom and could've otherwise lasted the life of the car.

I did consider asking if they would install the Hahn piece instead, but decided against that for two reasons: it's not a drop in replacement so I'd have to ask them to make modifications, and for $600 I can get a pretty good hooker and a decent amount of blow.  While upgrading would be ideal, their decision to replace the entire cooling system at no cost to me was too good to pass up.  If it only lasts another 40K miles I can always go aftermarket later.  As GJ pointed out I have the stock tune, no go faster mods whatsoever, and no plans for any, so the factory piece should suffice.

OMFG that is freaking funny, right there!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or you could save some $$$ and get a cheap hooker and a shot of penicillin.  :idk:

Offline Bill Hahn Jr

• Turbologist
  • Vendor
  • Tech
    • Hahn RaceCraft
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »

Mr. Hahn, I very much think that Hahn racecraft is making the best decision. I think that offering a HP Tuners package or even Trifecta will better fit what you guys represent. I remember looking at the BSR back in Aug of 2008 when I took delivery of my Cobalt SS/TC and was very close to buying it. I have since moved on from that car and now have a Sky Redline. I have been using HP tuners and couldn't be happier at the simplicity of using it for logging and being able to monitor parameters that normally I wouldn't be able to see. It just feels so reassuring having this software coupled with a reputable tuner.

Glad to see you coming on our forums a lot lately  :thumbs:
Thanks for your support!  By the way, you can call me Bill, but I do also enjoy the more formal Mr. Hahn, as respectful behavior is often so lacking in today's world :)

You've hit the nail right on the head.  We've used HPTuners for years in some applications, and will soon offer it as an option on our turbosystems, as well as a stand-alone product.  We are currently involved with Trifecta as well, as they've assisted in developing superb tunes for our new Super 20G Turbo Upgrades for LNF (more on this soon!). 

The BSR Tuner was a strong player for us for many years, and our relationship with them was most fruitful.  However, time marches onward, and few places does it move faster than in modern electronics.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
The Intercooler Thread
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
(must remember to call him Mr. Hahn if I need help with something.....)

Damn,
Did I say that out loud?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
(must remember to call him Mr. Hahn if I need help with something.....)

Damn,
Did I say that out loud?
Nope you didn't say it at all.

You typed it.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
Don't worry no one heard you.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
Re: Re: The Intercooler Thread
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
Don't worry no one heard you.

That's because no one actually listens!

Offline Bill Hahn Jr

• Turbologist
  • Vendor
  • Tech
    • Hahn RaceCraft
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »
Hahn states that their IC gives you up to 27WHP. click on  link for dyno runs.

http://www.turbosystem.com/New_Folder/SolsticeGXPRedline/GXP%20Redline%20Intercooler%20Sell%20Page.htm

They also forget to mention that in fact it will give you exactly zero more power on an 'otherwise untuned car' as soon as the ECM learns down again, some time between 1/2 hour and 1/2 week later.

So to all the guys with stock tunes, fuggedaboutit!
:huh: But Bill!!!! Who has an untuned Kappa around here these days?  :devil:

When I first saw this exchange, I had to chuckle, as we did get a bit caught out on this one.  In revising information for our new website, this page will definitely get some updating.  But allow me to elaborate a bit...and while some of this information is definitely Intercooler 101, I do strive to to write for all possible readers, so you advanced gearheads may have to suffer through some elementaries here.  B-air with me ;)

The dyno results stated were in fact genuine, with back-to-back comparison of OEM intercooler to our Hahn HP Intercooler.  However, this was very early on in our development process, and the full capabilities of the GM/Bosch PCM to "learn down" the airflow improvement of our HP Intercooler were not yet fully understood.  Nonetheless, the difference in power was pretty breathtaking in light of the fact that with no other changes, we did in fact pick up 27 WHP, indicating a substantial improvement in airflow/reduction in restriction, as well as significantly reduced intake air temperatures (IAT's).

Now, while it's undoubtedly true that the maximum airflow achievable would soon be learned back down to stock as wspohn indicates, there is a bit more to the story.  We're confident that even on an untuned car, there will still be more than a zero power and performance improvement.  Turbocharger responsiveness is improved, so more power is available at lower RPM and throttle position; actually, this is one of the most common feedbacks we get on this intercooler.  As a result, more power is available at moderate RPM as compared to stock.  Additionally, lower IAT's lead to more aggressive ignition timing being learned by the PCM, which also adds more power and improved responsiveness across the RPM band.   So, while the maximum HP/airflow may not change much, perhaps just a few HP with a stock tune, there will be other noticeable, seat-of-the-pants perceivable improvements not expressed purely in that aspect of max power alone.  The additional engine longevity afforded by the cooler IAT's is also a nice bonus, especially in hot temperatures where the stock intercooler can be highly taxed, and let's face it: unless one lives in Alaska, one's Kappa sees a LOT of warm-weather operation!

A side note: in hot conditions, many otherwise-stock Kappas do not even achieve the full rated stock power, for there are limits to just how much more boost the system will add to compensate, especially when high IAT's also conspire to further reduce available ignition timing via knock detection.  Under such conditions, Kappas equipped with our HP Intercooler can realize MUCH more power than they would be otherwise be able to with a stock intercooler, even with a stock tune.

As a further side note to MARVIC's comment:  Right you are!  And of course, at such higher power levels, the stock intercooler is even more taxed, with even higher IAT's and more knock detection/timing retard, and significantly holds back a lot of tuned Kappas whose owners mistakenly attribute such greatly reduced power strictly to poor climatic conditions.  No tuned car should ever limit itself to the stock intercooler if the owner is interested in not only the best possible power, but the least amount of duress on his/her engine due to excessive intake heat.

Offline redlinedude

• Master Tech
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
Thanks go to Jesse and Bill Hahn Jr. at Hahn Racecraft for the great customer service!! Jesse talked to BSR and I received a one year tuning warranty. This means I can connect my tuner to BSR for and download any updates or fixes I may need for a year. I was able to connect to BSR server today and receive the updates my car needed to work properly. I plugged the PPC Tuner in and now I have about 40 more horses and 23 psi again :yay: I know my BSR tune is outdated but other than a K&N air filter my car is completely stock so for now this tuner suits my needs. In the next 6-8 months I plan on upgrading my turbo, downpipe, intercooler and exhaust. By that time I will need a new tune and lots of parts which i'm sure Hahn Racecraft will be able to assist me with. Thanks again Hahn Racecraft for the great customer service !!
Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console
Enjoying another cancer free day !!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
The Intercooler Thread
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2012, 01:26:56 AM »
Hahn edumacation. I'm learned better more now.

People get caught up in peak HP numbers.  Great explanation on why that can be flawed thinking.  I wonder if Hahn can make a human IC for my long runs on hot days....

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2012, 05:29:52 AM »
HP is just a way to quantify it. The key question is, when you put the skinny pedal down, does it make you smile?
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2012, 03:19:38 AM »
would an ic be more effective if it had a fan mounted on it and staying on all the time?
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Bill Hahn Jr

• Turbologist
  • Vendor
  • Tech
    • Hahn RaceCraft
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »
would an ic be more effective if it had a fan mounted on it and staying on all the time?
In some cases, yes, but even the strongest electric fans are hard pressed to reproduce the air blast and quantity that the car traveling at, say, 60 MPH can provide on its own.   Electric fans, even on cooling system radiators, are primarily intended to address periods of slow or no car movement.  Once you're up and running, the car's speed takes care of the needed airflow over the radiator and/or intercooler.

This inherently works in our favor in that the more heat one puts into the intercoooler, the faster one tends to be going, and thus the better the cooling effect.  Taken another way...you can't put heat into the intercooler while the car is standing still or moving very slowly.  You have to be working the turbo hard enough to be producing sufficient intake heat  that would then need be dissipated, which typically means 10PSI or more boost.  As such, the only time the intercooler needs cooling effect from ambient air flow over the core is when you are already moving fast enough for it to work efficiently.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:09:07 AM by Bill Hahn Jr »

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2012, 07:51:30 AM »
thx a lot for your reply Bill!!
very reasonable and very easy to understand!!  :thumbs:
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »
Sky888 has (or had at some point) sprayers on his IC to help cool it down even more. So external methods can help. Especially in the case where you don't have enough room in the car to fit an IC large enough for the power you are making.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2012, 09:28:02 AM »
thx Kenny, i remember we had this discussion some time ago.
i am not looking for more power at the moment, just trying to find out which are the practical ways to get the coldest air possible into the engine.
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
Move to the Artic?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
Move to the Artic?

Greek summer is exactly the opposite of the Arctic, so that's why i am curious about practical ways.
a downside of the arctic is that there are no sand beaches... :)
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »

FYI - the only time we have seen this as a benefit is on a couple drift cars that we worked on. The reason it worked well on those, is because the cars are sideways for a lot of time, the air entering the front grill is reduced, which reduced the air going through the intercooler, causing IAT's to climb pretty quick. With the fans in place (several pretty large Spal fans) the IAT's could be kept down.

Otherwise, like Bill said, once you are moving, the fans start to become a restriction to the flow of air through the intercooler/radiator.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
thx Kenny, i remember we had this discussion some time ago.
i am not looking for more power at the moment, just trying to find out which are the practical ways to get the coldest air possible into the engine.

I didn't mean you put the coolers on to get more power. I meant that if you are making big power with a bigger turbo, you need an IC so large it doesn't fit into the space we have. So by getting additional cooling via water or C02 spray, you can make up for the lack of size.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
 Looked at my inter cooler when I had the bumper off the other day and it's getting beat up with rocks. There maybe a new inter cooler in my future sooner rather than later.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »
Otherwise, like Bill said, once you are moving, the fans start to become a restriction to the flow of air through the intercooler/radiator.

Yup. I always run a fan on the race cars because we used to get delayed in pregrid and some of them don't like to restart once they are hotter than heck sitting idling in the sun. Always gives you a good feeling to just reach out and flick a switch and sit comfortably while those around you without fans start uttering muted (by the helmets) screams at the track crew to get things on the road.  I gladly sacrifice any small reduction in cooling caused by the fan blocking air at speed for that sense of security in pregrid!
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC