Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Noise levels without the cat  (Read 2892 times)

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
Noise levels without the cat
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
I have both a MagnaFlow 3" cat back and a Solo Performance single 3" Race Pipe. During the Solo season I have run the S.P. Race Pipe with complete satisfaction because I can HEAR the engine with my helmet on. In normal driving it's not too loud. During the off season I run the MF system. Nice mellow sound. With both systems I have been running the OEM cat. Shortly I will be installing a S.P. catless downpipe. Clearly, the stock cat and turbo have proven to be sufficient in keeping the dB levels under control. However, with NO cat I am very concerned with the noise level of the exhaust if it isn't muffled. Jeff @ Solo Performance says the car will be quite loud with the Race Pipe and downpipe. I can run the downpipe with the MF system, and probably will have to do that to keep the car liveable during the season.

Who is using either a high flow cat or catless downpipe, what exhaust are you using, and how loud is it? :huh:
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
Re: Noise levels without the cat
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
I am using SOLO's higher-flow cat.  I will say that it is about 20% louder with this cat, so I would imagine it would be even more than that if you eliminated the cat altogether. 
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
I am using SOLO's higher-flow cat.  I will say that it is about 20% louder with this cat, so I would imagine it would be even more than that if you eliminated the cat altogether. 

What exhaust are you using?
Bob Buxbaum

Offline RUTurbo

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 06:12:54 PM »
I'm have RPI's GT exhaust and cat-less "race" down pipe and I haven't noticed much of an increase in noise levels driving around town or coasting on the Turnpike, however you can notice it to e a bit louder at RPM's above 3500. Not a big deal since in 5th you are cruising at a pretty good clip of speed before you get that high up in the rev range.  And the deeper sound to me is enjoyable, it's got a nice deep grunt to it not common to 4 cyl engines, most the guys in my car club can't believe its a 4 cyl when I first tell them because of the deepness of the tone.
Keep Chopping!!!

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »
What exhaust are you using?

I have a center stacked exhaust without a muffler, so it would be a street race setup.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

lil goat

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:25 AM »
I had the Solo Street Race set up with the hi flow Solo cat for about a year, the performence was excellent and the noise was not that bad. I changed to the Solo Mach, because of the noise outside the car, it just drew to much attention from the Police, I never drove past a cop even doing the speed limit that they wern't staring right at me. I am very happy with the Mach and the hi-flow cat. I don't get near as much attention as I used to.

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:01:25 AM »
I had the Solo Street Race set up with the hi flow Solo cat for about a year, the performence was excellent and the noise was not that bad. I changed to the Solo Mach, because of the noise outside the car, it just drew to much attention from the Police, I never drove past a cop even doing the speed limit that they wern't staring right at me. I am very happy with the Mach and the hi-flow cat. I don't get near as much attention as I used to.
You're not supposed to give them the finger as you drive by....

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
Better to flip a bird than THROW A SHOE. At least in Bahrain.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
You can actually get arrested if you flip a Bahrainian the bird.  That goes for any Arabic person here.  It's so hard not to with the way they "drive" over here...

It's OK if they do it to you.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »
If you run the Solo Catless DP with the Magna Flow you should still be at a tolerable noise level, but as soon as you swap the MF with the Solo exhaust...shits gonna be loud :)

I would assume that S.P. DownPipe with MagnaFlow will still be more quiet than Stock cat with race exhaust ?
or maybe just about the same?
:dancing::dancing::dancing: