Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Trifecta Budget Tune  (Read 12352 times)

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Trifecta Budget Tune
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »
Is there anyone here who has tried this? It appeals to me for a variety of reasons, mainly that it appears to be totally reversable.

Budget LNF tune - Want one of Trifecta's premium 2.0 turbo tunes at a discount? If your vehicle is bone stock, or mostly stock (drop-in filter, downpipe and charge pipe upgrade ONLY), you may qualify for the LNF budget tune. There is NO datalogging support with this tune, it is truly a "canned" tune. If you order this tune, and end up needing or wanting adjustments, you will be required to pay a datalog analysis and adjustment fee ($300 additional). EZ Flash (programming cable) delivery method only, GT Tuner orders not eligible.

2007 - 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007 - 2009 Saturn Sky Redline
2008 - 2010 Chevrolet HHR SS
2008 - 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS

Price: $200 Excludes shipping, and security deposit (if required)

To order this tune, click on this link, and make sure you specify "Budget LNF tune" in the additional comments section on the order form to receive the special pricing (dealers may also order this tune at the lower price point).

So, a few questions:

Does it improve performance in any real way? The dyno charts did not include this one, and I am not interested in only 10HP increases, may as well stay stock.

Does it work in invisable mode and allow passing of emissions?

Is it really as easy to install as they say?

Any drawbacks to a bone stock car?

Any other drawbacks?

Thanks,

Jim :cool:
Never think you are forgotten!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Trifecta Budget Tune
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »
Hey Jim,

i have the Trifecta tune, not the LNF budget tune, but a custom one.
this tune appears to be a no datalogging, no update tune, which will certainly bring you to a level of 310hp (considering that with a fully custom tune you will be something like 330hp). pls do not take this numbers as granted, but rather as indications of where this tune will bring your car's power.

furthermore with this tune, you will not be able to have Vince work on several other demands you may have i.e. temp of the ventilator working, rpm limiter, boost level at certain rpms etc etc etc.
this would be a very good upgrade to a "stock" car, plus you will have a code scanner with the trifecta interface on your laptop.
for $200 including the EZflash cable (Tactrix), i consider this an extremely good deal.
and if later on, you will want to make custom adjustments, you just pay an additional $300 and have a custom tune.
what i don't know is if in this "canned" tune, you get the select-a-tune feature.

i think you should email to Vince @ Trifecta with your questions.
he is a very good guy and he will help you with all your questions

njoy your tune shopping, whatever tune you choose!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
From Vince I would think it will improve the performance probably somewhere close to 300 BHP( fly wheel HP.)
It is easy to install as advertise.
Drawbacks, to much fun while driving and probably getting stop by.....
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
Think like this: this canned tune is comparable with GMPP. Depends on what you want.

I will wait and get the real deal.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
Another draw back of a canned tune, you may have detonation and your engine may be canned as well!!!

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »
Another draw back of a canned tune, you may have detonation and your engine may be canned as well!!!

Would the canned tune bypass the knock sensors and retard function? I wouldn't think so, but it is worth asking.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
It doesn't by bypass the knock sensors or retart function but when you go beyond the manuafactures design specs, there can be knock and you wouldn't hear it.  I've installed close to 75 tunes for Westers Garage and I can't hear the knock but HPTuners picks up the knock from the sensors and logs them, then the tuner can make changes to prevent the knock.  Over time of causing knock along with driving it hard, you could blow pistons or burn valves. 

During the initial testing of the Westers Tunes with Old Goat, we did plenty of logs and had Lyndon fix the tunes. 

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
Call or email Vince, he is very accessable. He will answer all of your questions. I have a custom dyno tune from Vince, was the first automatic Solstice he tuned.
The Infiniboost is the way to go if you go Trifecta. Individual tune to your car, data log for safety, toggle between stock and tune, invisible to GM.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:38:03 PM by U4EA »
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
It doesn't by bypass the knock sensors or retart function but when you go beyond the manuafactures design specs, there can be knock and you wouldn't hear it.  I've installed close to 75 tunes for Westers Garage and I can't hear the knock but HPTuners picks up the knock from the sensors and logs them, then the tuner can make changes to prevent the knock.  Over time of causing knock along with driving it hard, you could blow pistons or burn valves.  

During the initial testing of the Westers Tunes with Old Goat, we did plenty of logs and had Lyndon fix the tunes.  

OK, I see what you are saying. I have asked some of these questions to Trifecta. My understanding is that this is a conservative tune designed for bone stock, or nearly, cars, and not going to maximize the potential of the motor, just improve it some. I am hoping for something like 20HP.

The big advantage I like on this is that, unlike the GMPP, it will not require mods to the car at all, I can install it myself, and is totally reversable.

Thanks for your input.

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
Think like this: this canned tune is comparable with GMPP. Depends on what you want.

I will wait and get the real deal.
it's *nothing* like the GMPP tune.  i can say this with confidence because my coupe came with it, and an extra ecu - which i flashed with the budget tune.  head and shoulders better, instant power pegged at 23psi, stealth mode confirmed - hooked up a tech II, and the O/S # that came back was the same one in tis2web for my VIN.  also, having it disabled when TCS is on/enabled when in competitive mode/off is nice.  i ran a pcm4less tune on my last gxp, and it's better than that one too.  haven't had a chance to put it on the dyno yet, but i'll confirm the #'s when i do.  as far as canned tunes go, if you're staying mostly stock (exhaust/intake), you can't really get anything that compares for the small amount of money you spend.
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42
'09 GXP 5MT Sly Coupe #802 - RIP :(
'82 Reynard FF1600 || CM/70
'86 Golf || chumpcar monster

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
it's *nothing* like the GMPP tune.  i can say this with confidence because my coupe came with it, and an extra ecu - which i flashed with the budget tune.  head and shoulders better, instant power pegged at 23psi, stealth mode confirmed - hooked up a tech II, and the O/S # that came back was the same one in tis2web for my VIN.  also, having it disabled when TCS is on/enabled when in competitive mode/off is nice.  i ran a pcm4less tune on my last gxp, and it's better than that one too.  haven't had a chance to put it on the dyno yet, but i'll confirm the #'s when i do.  as far as canned tunes go, if you're staying mostly stock (exhaust/intake), you can't really get anything that compares for the small amount of money you spend.

So, let me make sure I understand. You had/have the Trifecta Budget Tune, and you say you liked it a lot. Worked better than the GMPP? Sounds good, any drawbacks that you can remember?

Don't get me wrong guys, I am asking similar questions to the Trifecta people, but sometimes businesses gloss over things a bit, so real world experience with no ulterior motives are very valuable input.

Thanks,

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »
i *had* the GMPP tune, and i *have* the trifecta budget tune, correct :)
the only drawback is knowing that i could have even more power, if i'd gone the custom route.  but in all honesty, since i got the tune for street only, it's more than sufficient.  and the price was right!
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »
Thanks, I have no need for a LOT more, but a little extra at speed would be nice, and I like that I can turn it off, and still pass emmissions. I never really considered the GMMP, too expensive, and it looks like it is a bit hit or miss on the install and factory support. The Trifecta seems like it would be easy to revert if needed.

Good info!

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »
yes, the biggest difference you'll notice is the power down low - no more waiting for boost to build through the RPM's, the power is available on-demand.  that's my biggest pet peeve with the stock tune (boost lag), and what disappointed me about the GMPP tune (doesn't build boost fast enough down low).  which makes it a hoot off the line in-town and in those situations where you need to make a quick pass on the highway without necessitating a downshift.
as for the installation, vince sent me the flash hardware and emailed me a file.  i downloaded the software to my laptop, and connected the flash hardware (via USB) to my car (via OBD-II).  followed in instructions to a tee, but in a nutshell: selected the tune, confirmed my VIN, flashed the tune (took about 10 mins), and went along my merry way.  he'll also send you the stock tune associated with your VIN in tis2web, if you want it (to flash back and remove the trifecta tune entirely).
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42

Offline skline00

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:03 PM »
boardkat, you are 110% correct. I just installed the Trifecta Budget tune on my wife's 07 stock Red Solstice GXP (5MT ). Power incease is VERY noticeable. Punch it and 23 PSI shows up real quick. Vince is a computer genius, obviously a car nut but best of all extremely knowledgeable and patient. I am super pleased and though I drove it some to see the difference Friday night and Saturday afternoon, I can't wait for some serious street time when the weather gets warmer here in SouthCentral PA. BTW this car is a scary fast Red Demon with this budget tune!

Offline skline00

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
Just got the 07 GXP mt with the Trifecta Budget tune dyno'd this morning at APtuning (Http:\\www.aptuning.com). They use the DynoJet Dynometer. At wheel HP 280.97, at wheel Torque 321.63. Amazing for a budget tune.

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
nice numbers skline00 !!
do you have a scan to post?

if yes, pls post it.
here's a topic for a dyno of Trifecta custom tune
http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,5316.0.html
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »
I just got my tune, along with 5 others, and I am VERY impressed. The car flat out flies now! I expected a difference, but did not expect the vast difference, from idle to red line it is MUCH faster, and much smoother. I assisted in doing the data logging for 4 of the 5 cars, I rode in them while doing the logging and operated the laptop, and can say it is equally impressive in EVERY car.

From 55-100 it was immediate and amazing. Just the fix I was looking for!

Lined up and ready.

Jack's Car

Getting mine done.

Back at Jacks!

Jack making dinner for us! Great burgers and dogs.

Enjoying a great spread from Jack and Pauline!

Thanks very much Jack, for setting this all up, and Pauline for the excellent lunch! ! Not only was Dave great, but he saved me money because I got the next up level of tune with data logging for less than the basic tune.

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
Thanks for posting pictures, Jim! Your Skys and Sols can fly!!!

It was a great day! :yay:

Offline skline00

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »
Arabas: Try this link for a shot of my printout :
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4916/dynojetrun32511jpg001.jpg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:30:06 PM by skline00 »