Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: The Dreaded P0101 code!  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
The Dreaded P0101 code!
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »
Well, after years of dealing with this stupid code two things have come to be in the last 2 days:

1- I had my ecm re-reflashed and ALL SEEMS GOOD!  YAY~

2. Found this in a post from someone (sorry, forgot who for now...)

Subject: EI08311 -- Intermittent Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0171 or P0172 Set (Engineering Information)

Models: 2006-2009 Pontiac Solstice

2007-2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP

2007-2009 Saturn SKY, SKY Redline

Attention:  Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053B for more details on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Important: If the customer did not bring their vehicle in for this concern, DO NOT proceed with this bulletin.

Some customers may comment on the intermittent illumination of the MIL/check engine light.

A scan tool may reveal one or more of the following mass air flow (MAF) or fuel trim DTC codes stored:

•  P0101

•  P0102

•  P0103

•  P0171 (LE5 engine)

•  P0172 (LE5 engine)

Cause
GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the above condition. There has been an increase in mass air flow sensor warranty and a high percentage of sensors returned to Warranty Parts Center (WPC) show no trouble found. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles, PRIOR to repair, that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.

Instructions
If a vehicle is encountered with the above concern, please follow the steps listed below.

•Perform the Circuit/System Verification procedure for the stored DTC(s) as outlined in SI.
•Document whether vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket air filter. If so, what type?
•Contact the engineer listed below for additional instructions.
Contact Information

Jay Prestage @ (586) 492-6140 or (248) 320-6581

If the engineer is unable to take your call, please leave the following information in a message:

•  Technician Name

•  Dealer Name and Phone Number

•  Complete VIN and Repair Order Number

The engineer may want to visit dealers located in the SE Michigan area.

If engineering is unable to return the call within one hour, proceed with diagnosis and repair based on information found in SI.

Warranty Information
Important: DO NOT use the labor operation listed below if engineering did not respond.

For vehicles repaired under engineering direction, use:

Labor Operation
 Description
 Labor Time

J7924*
 Engineering Information -- Mass Air Flow Sensor
 0.6 hr

* This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Make the right choices now

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: The Dreaded P0101 code!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »
I hope that solves your code problems. I like the part at bottom of the TSB about inspecting for aftermarkye airfilter.  :)
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
yeah no kidding.  The new sensors are much more sensitive than previous, so perhaps there is a "little" bit to it, but....

also, I haven't had anything done with a TSB, just a reflash of my tune.  Actually, I think I got an "experienced" tune, just to be sure it was a good one!

GJ

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
drive it hard and lift, over and over.  That's when it used to happen right?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:59:51 AM »
not the over and over part.  it was intermitent.  I would launch down an on ramp, get up to speed and let off the gas and "pop" there it would go.

GJ

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
I'm saying test it now by doing it over and over and see if it comes back.  Find an off ramp that takes you to an onramp going the otherway and has an off ramp to an on ramp going back the way you started.  A true clover leaf,  You can go round and round for a while just testing it.

Some dizzyness may occur but you are used to that!
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »
GJ, bring it by Richmond & I'll drive it for you... we'll see if it "pops"  :devil:  :lol: