Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New Vehicle Break-In!  (Read 2485 times)

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
New Vehicle Break-In!
« on: December 14, 2008, 03:50:27 PM »
I am posting this information especially for all new members of the forum and it is relative to the break-In of your Kappa vehicle.  I have taken this information directly out of the 2007 Pontiac Solstice Owner Manual and it is found on page 76.

** New Vehicle Break-In**

"Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in.  But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines for the first 500 miles (805 km):

*Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow. 

*Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).

*Do not make full-throttle starts: also refrain from using the full throttle while dirving.  Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow, the vehicle.

If these break-in procedures are not followed, the vehicle's engine, axle, or other parts could be damaged. 

*Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so.  During this time your new brake linings are not yet broken in.  Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement.

*Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased."  [End Quote]

I will add the following advice as reported by "Latin Venom". 

*"Do not go higher than 4000 rpm during the 1st 500 miles.

*Do not use the engine and transmission as your brakes to slowdown the car or when down-shifting for the 1st 500 miles. 

*Do not pop the clutch (feather it instead) or chirp your tires during the 1st 500 miles." [End Quote Latin Venom].

The additonal rules reported by Latin Venom are very important.  Thanks Latin Venom for the added rules.  Very much appreciated.

GXPinKC, now with some remarks about break-in that I followed: 

(It is hard not to do as I chirped them once when leaving the dealership lot after taking delivery back on December 27th, 2006 with the top down and a temperature of 33 degree's.)

I was even more conservative with my break-in.  And I believe it has paid off.  When we got to Nashville for the 2nd Annual North American Solstice Meet, I had my wife take a picture of the DIC showing on the Odometer and it read 30.9 mpg cumulative to date and total miles to date 3,942, Avg. speed 53mph, Oil Live 56%, Trip A 842.2.  And our mileage was excellent as well after leaving Nashville and heading to the Microtel in Robbinsville, North Carolina for two days of the Dragon and Cherahala Skyway and then home.

Remember, you are breaking in all moving parts in the Engine and Drivetrane and I have always been a firm believer that adding speed gradually as break-in continues is the best course of action.  But after 500 miles you must begin to challenge it by really hitting it from time to time increasing your speed and rpm as your miles increase.  Break-in varies with different people.  Mine took about 2,000 miles but the peramiters increased after 500 miles.  When I felt mine was finally well broken in (2,000 miles), I took it to the Track.

The fun really begins after break-in.  The bonus, if you follow GM's guidelines is that you will have a vehicle that should be trouble free for as long as you drive it. 

I plan on driving mine a long time!

Hopes this post helps new owners with Break-In.
GXPinKC
Ron

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 09:04:17 PM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
Re: New Vehicle Break-In!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:05:07 AM »
I see that we have added many new members in the past six months so bringing this old thread back so that new owners of Kappa's are aware of New Vehicle Break-In!
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust