Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Brake light flasher (kit) ~$15  (Read 26212 times)

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
Re: Brake light flasher (kit) ~$15
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
When I first read a thread with a kappa install of these, I thought, that's a great idea.  A few years ago, I was travelling in a pack of vehicles towards evening rush hour traffic.  Speed limit is about 80km/h or 50mph, eventually it opened up a bit, but then there was a pack of about 3-5 deept 3 lanes wide at a red light, just pulling away, and I had to come to a near dead stop, I had plenty of room, no big deal, slowed down gently.  Then as we're just about to start accelerating from about 20km/h or about 13mph I notice a mid 90's buick coming in REAL fast, and still isn't on the brakes yet.  Moron suddenly realizes he's coming in HOT, like 90-95km/h or about 55mph, and slams on the brakes, I see his nose dive, and plumes of tire smoke.  I pull into the left turn lane, that buys him a few more car lengths, and he just manages to not hit the guy that was in front of me, after he noticed and accelerated as much as he had space.  I pull up to the guy and he's very apologetic, which I wish more of us were on the road, not for any other reason than it being unbelievably disarming.  I wanted to repeatedly beat him in the face when it was happening, but his sincere apology left me just shaking my head.

At first I thought, yah, I need this as a result.  But then again, would it have really made a difference?  I mean at that point, I wasn't even on the brakes.  Then I was on the highway the other day where a motorcyclist had it.  And even in daytime, it was at first confusing, and then illicited a "cool" and then a realization that it is annoying.  When it first happened, I wasn't sure he was even braking.  And now I might think the same of other drivers simply because it seems this feature is SO rare, no one knows what it means.  Even though I'm relatively aware of this feature, I wasn't 100% sure what it was at first.  I mean, my instinct would be slow down just in case, but not get on the brakes now.  So it may help attract attention, which may be a good thing with a distracted driver no doubt.  But at the same time, one might be slightly confused, and react slower to it than a non-flashing one.

I'm curious as to whether there have been empirical tests on this.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:04:10 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2012, 01:42:20 AM »
I wonder if you could rig it so only the 3rd brake light blinked?  That way the standard lights stayed on as they should and the 3rd light (not to be confused with a directional signal) might still get the attention of a distracted driver.

Make the right choices now

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2012, 05:24:12 AM »
I wonder if you could rig it so only the 3rd brake light blinked?  That way the standard lights stayed on as they should and the 3rd light (not to be confused with a directional signal) might still get the attention of a distracted driver.

The ones I have seen have only been the 3rd tail light blinking. blinking your actual stop lights would technically be illegal I would imagine.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »
Miller I am so proud of you, you have come a long way.

Posting your picture and then the picture of your motorcycle.

Your family must be so proud.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »
Picture?  I no see no picture?  Miller is allowed on a motorcycle?  Note to self, never ever drive in Ohio.  They give licence to ANYBODY
Make the right choices now