Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Oh-Shit, Hit pole and wrecked my Kappa - Totaled  (Read 30978 times)

Offline Smiling Clint

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Oh-Shit, Hit pole and wrecked my Kappa
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »
Wow!  Glad you are OK!  Thats the main thing.  Car can be fixed or replaced!  Don't know about the brown stain on the drivers seat though.  Really glad you are ok!!
I'm very intelligent, but I mask it by doing stupid stuff.

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
sorry to hear helios.  I am glad that you are doing ok.  I hope you can get your car back on the road again soon. 

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
Joey ;Your OK, and Glad the EMS gave you an " OK health wise " I know your not OK inside when looking at the damage. When leaving a car Wash your tires will have soap and resin on them & that doesn't help Traction.
   " Gave it literally a LITTLE gas." It doesn't take Much , And it Broke the  :censor: Pole on Impack

PS
        Pam Says You will start to Ache in a day or so . Take it Easy  and get the car Fixed

Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
Helios, othen than the body damage and the rear left wheel and suspension, are there any other mechanical damages?
engine bay is good?
rear axle and diff?

Didn't look like there was any engine damage or drivetrain damage. It appears it's only body and framework. The rear axle is broken as evidenced by the bent rear driver's side wheel (and confirmed with an underside look). The insurance company says the computer system hasn't totaled the car out, but that may change once the adjuster takes a good look at her. I've been eyeballing some used white Skys so I can buy back the wreck (if it's totaled) and transplant parts if need be.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
 Your must be heart broken to have that beautiful car so damaged. I wrecked my car at the Milwaukee Mile raceway and took out the front end and whole side of my car. I was lucky that I had no structure damage. I was sickened. I did not take pics because I did not want to see my car look that way. Bad Karma for racing. At least your insurance will pay for the damage,they will not allow you to buy the car back for parts. My car was covered by my credit card and was race ready in 8 days with two different shops doing the work,
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »
they will not allow you to buy the car back for parts.

Oh yeah? That's not what I read.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content39152.aspx
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »
I had a chevy truck totaled because of flood damage that I wanted to buy back but they would not let me . Maybe because it was flood damage. Hope you can buy it back for parts. Good luck and keep us posted!
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
DAMN!  Can't say much more except I am glad you are okay
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
I'm hoping for one of two things: they can fix her or they'll sell her back to me. Either way, I think I'll be on top considering the situation. Thanks everyone for the well wishes for me :thumbs: and my baby :cryin:...
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline DRM

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
Wow...glad your OK.  That's one way to show a pole who's Boss.
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Deep/Ebony/Silver Stitching
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
Considering you snapped off a pole the car held up pretty well..good to see your alright..

Offline Yogi

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
Wow, Joey!  So sad to see that happen to your beautiful car, but I'm really glad that you're OK!  Good luck with the repairs!  I hope that you're back on the road real soon!   :thumbs:

Yogi
2008 Saturn Sky Red Line
2.0 Turbo LNF
5 Speed Manual
Snowflake Wheels
Monsoon Sound System
Leather Seats

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
I'm hoping for one of two things: they can fix her or they'll sell her back to me.

In NY you can buy back the vehicle. They just take whatever the salvage value is out of the check they cut you. I did it when they totaled my truck.

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
That sucks! I am glad you are OK!

Look at the bright side, at least your hood is undamaged!

Jim :cool:
Never think you are forgotten!

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
My guess is that they will total it. 
My wreck cost the ins co 10K and it was not near as bad as yours.  They gave me new wheels since the shop jacked them up when balancing them, new side fenders new front facia and new inner cooler and of course painted the whole vehicle to make sure everything matched.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »
Tazz, how does a shop mess up the wheels by balancing them? Hammering on wheel weights on the outside of the rim?   :idk:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »
Glad you are OK, hope you get everything works out.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
Tazz, how does a shop mess up the wheels by balancing them? Hammering on wheel weights on the outside of the rim?   :idk:
I guess I did not tell the whole story......They sent all the rims to a shop that refurbished the scratches and check  that the rims are true and round.  Well that went fine but when they were installing tires on the rims and balancing the wheels there machine scratched the newly resurfaced rims and didn't notice until they were inspecting the vehicle.  The Dealer had Chrome GXP rims on display so they just took a loss and paid for the rims since the Ins Co wasn't going to pay for there goof up.  I wanted the chrome rims anyway since mine had the brushed aluminum and I never really cared for them that much.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
BTW forgot to mention Glad your OK that could have ended very badly where that pole hit.

Offline Sky 5

• Master Tech
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 07:45:16 PM »
In NY you can buy back the vehicle. They just take whatever the salvage value is out of the check they cut you.
Same in Texas.

Helios, glad you came out uninjured and definitely ask to do the buy back. Your insurance company shouldn't balk at the idea; in fact it's easier for them because they don't have to bother with selling it, auctions, etc. If you intend to try to get it back on the road then you would have to apply to the State for a salvage title.

Regarding picking up a white SKY.... just DO IT !  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:48:19 PM by Sky 5 »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011, 08:13:34 PM »
Total Bummer but glad your ok
I always liked your mini BumbleBee Sky.  Its a great looking car.

Hopefully it can be repaired.   

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »
Damn, what's with the bad JuJu on all the Kappas lately!  :gaah:
Just read this thread, glad you're Ok Helios. If they total it & you can't at least get the car back for parts that will suck. I don't understand that, you should at least be able to get the stuff you added to the car off of it unless you payed extra on your policy for the insurance co. to cover it.

For what it's worth I still see a few here & there for sale, hope it gets fixed or you get another one, sucks to see another SC brethren down & out!

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 11:44:06 PM »
This would break my heart. In fact, it's a little broken just looking at yours. Glad you're fine. Have you had x-rays yet? Whiplash can be a delayed reaction.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
Have you had x-rays yet? Whiplash can be a delayed reaction.

Nope. No x-rays. Just woke up this morning. My neck is still a little stiff. Other than that I feel great. I'm up moving about and doing things as I normally would.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
Joey ; From the imprint in your Door you took 1hellofa hit. Almost as bad as getting hit from Behind. I got it once and never did a follow-up and it damaged tendents in my Neck . You should at least get an X-Ray. Better Safe than Sorry

DO It Damnit     :slap:    your health is at Stake    :slap:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass