Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Now this is detailing!  (Read 7940 times)

Offline timlange3

• Master Tech
Now this is detailing!
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »
Tim.

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
Re: Now this is detailing!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »
Very cool and expensive. I don't use my hands to put on wax, though. LOL

Thanks for posting.

Offline marlboromike

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:24:40 PM »
Very cool and expensive. I don't use my hands to put on wax, though. LOL

The nails must dry first...

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »
Very nice!

Jim :cool:
Never think you are forgotten!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:02:44 PM »
I sometimes wash my car with bare hands. Don't pick up grit and if you do you know right away. That wax they use in the video is sold at the place that I buy all my detailing stuff. He's not far from my house and I'm heading over there tomorrow.

Anyone got $2400.00 to spare?   :D

http://www.eshine.ca/zymol_vintage_glaze_22oz-2320.php?cat=71
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »
I have a detail dude in my little village.  :mex: His name is Tello, and he details the car everytime he washes it. That's buff, wax, inside, shampoo carpets, rims, wheels, the works. I supply the wax, and or polish. He only charges $20 per car, but I give him at least $30. When does both cars he gets double, even though the Durango is twice the size of the GXP. It takes him about six hours to do both cars. Then when he's done he gets on his bicycle, loaded down with his bucket, buffer, wax, soap, and a big ass shop vacuum, and rides home.

There are actually a couple of these guys who do this in the village, but I stick with Tello. He does a great job, and gets the bragging rights about working on the GXP.  :thumbs: And I get the bragging rights of driving one of the shiniest cars in Baja Norte.  :yay:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:15:46 PM by deepwater805 »

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
Not my cup of tea... I do it myself, thank you.  Kind of think it's fun to wash and carefully detail the Eagle.  When I'm the only one around sometimes whistle when I do it, kind of like purring to a cat, but the Eagle likes to get washed and cleaned cause she likes to strut her stuff and fly like uh, an Eagle flies!!!  Well, the point of this post is really a put down to the rich and famous who can afford to pay for it.  To me that is a bit much and way to extravagant!!!  To each his own, but if I were rich, which I am certainly not would never choose to have someone else wash her.  She indeed would have a complete fit and I would for sure feel her talons...ha, ha, ha...  See ya down the road in a clean Eagle! :2c: :drag: :drool:
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:38:06 PM »
I sometimes wash my car with bare hands. Don't pick up grit and if you do you know right away. That wax they use in the video is sold at the place that I buy all my detailing stuff. He's not far from my house and I'm heading over there tomorrow.

Anyone got $2400.00 to spare?   :D

http://www.eshine.ca/zymol_vintage_glaze_22oz-2320.php?cat=71

Honeydew, cantaloupe, coconut oil, sunflower oil? Are you supposed to eat it as well or something? And seeing as they offer free refills for life something tells me that fancy box and the name make up most of the costs... :lol:
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
Geeze, I never realized Go-N-Def was British.  No wonder he has such a crappy sense of humor and bad taste in food....

And damn, he's not pretty....

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:28:29 AM »
That's a long lost relative I'm sure!  I've actually sealed and waxed the whole car with my bare hands before.  I couldn't see the difference, but then again I was using PBW products not Zymol...

I'm skeptical about that stuff.  If they agree to fill it free for life, wouldn't that put them out of business?  If its as good as they say it is, I'd be emptying out my tub into a different container and shipping the empty back on a weekly basis and then selling the stuff to everyone at 20% or so...

Oh, and not to mention this sentance from their page, "Vintage contains 61% Brazilian No. 1 White Carnauba by volume, the highest in any product designed to protect automotive finishes." From what I've researched over the years, anything over 30 some-odd-percent is un-usable since it would be too hard to work onto the car.  So what ever they're thining it with could possibly strip off the sealant or glaze that you laid down first. 

The other thing about that sentance is the emphasis on white carnuba.  It comes off the tree yellow, so that means they bleached it somewhere along the line.  I prefer au'natural since I don't really know what the bleaching process has done to the wax, but not enough to make me absolutely against using either white or yellow.  I'm just against their use of an advertising gimmick!

Offline cruiservic

• Upgraded Member
  • Tech
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 04:47:40 AM »
I have always used California Gold, Mother's, Maguire's and another product I forgot the name of. Are these still good for the Solstice finish or should I get something else? I have always had good results with the above products and was just wondering if any of you have any comments on the ones that I have mentioned. For leather, I have always used Maguire's Leather cleaners and preservatives and they have also done very well.

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:38:28 AM »
I have always used California Gold, Mother's, Maguire's and another product I forgot the name of. Are these still good for the Solstice finish or should I get something else? I have always had good results with the above products and was just wondering if any of you have any comments on the ones that I have mentioned. For leather, I have always used Maguire's Leather cleaners and preservatives and they have also done very well.
Everyone has their favorites and you will get several opinions on the topic.  The best thing to do is try a product for yourself and see if it works for YOU.  You can spend all the money in the world on products that just sit on your shelf because they are too difficult or time consuming for YOU to use.  It all depends on what YOU are willing to do to get the result that YOU'RE satisfied with.

That being said,  I prefer products from Poorboy's World (PBW) and have turned a lot of Kappa Friends onto them.  So much so, they agreed to be a supporting vendor on this forum.  I use their products almost exclusively on my car.  The only things not PBW that I use are Westly's Bleach White for cleaning the tires and Rain-X for the windshield.  I've probably spent over $3K on products over the last 4 years I've been using them. Of course, I detail my car a tad bit more than the average Kappa owner...

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
Geeze, I never realized Go-N-Def was British.  No wonder he has such a crappy sense of humor and bad taste in food....
On behalf of the British... :slap:
The only things not PBW that I use are Westly's Bleach White for cleaning the tires and Rain-X for the windshield.  

You use rain-x as a multipurpose lubricant. If I recall correctly you used it to work my seat  :devil:

Offline cruiservic

• Upgraded Member
  • Tech
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:21 AM »
Thanks Go-N Def. I have never seen those products, but I will certainly give them a try when I get back to States. I am now counting the days. Should be leaving here about 100 days from now. If your name indicates your hearing, I am too!

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:30:37 AM »
I enjoy cleaning my car too but this guy has taken his passion and not only turned it into an art form but a business as well.  Quite admirable. 

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
You use rain-x as a multipurpose lubricant. If I recall correctly you used it to work my seat  :devil:
Cleaner, not a lubricant.  God knows it needed cleaning!

Thanks Go-N Def. I have never seen those products, but I will certainly give them a try when I get back to States. I am now counting the days. Should be leaving here about 100 days from now. If your name indicates your hearing, I am too!
Nope, loud stereos....

Offline timlange3

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:49:45 AM »
I think no matter how rich I would be, I would still want to clean/wax my own car(s).  I do enjoy the one on one time.  Something about pride of ownership.
Tim.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:50:46 AM »
I use a product called Goin-N-Def, it's a little hard to get started but once you got it going it does a great job.  It is a little mouthy tho.

Another good product is called Dark Tech, easier to get started and not so mouthy.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »
I use a product called Goin-N-Def, it's a little hard to get started but once you got it going it does a great job.  It is a little mouthy tho.

Another good product is called Dark Tech, easier to get started and not so mouthy.

John  Seems like you know all about Detailing Equipment and How they work .    :yay:    :urock:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:09 AM »

I know at least one of those is not sold in stores any longer!

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »
I enjoy cleaning my car too but this guy has taken his passion and not only turned it into an art form but a business as well.  Quite admirable. 

I agree. It's pretty incredible and admirable how he has taken detailing to a whole new level.

And yes, MarlboroMike, I do have to wait for my nails to dry. ;)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
Geeze, I never realized Go-N-Def was British.  No wonder he has such a crappy sense of humor and bad taste in food....
GJ
So, you comin' to the SMMM, GJ?  I think you and a need to have words.

:bdh: 
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
So, you comin' to the SMMM, GJ?  I think you and a need to have words.

:bdh:  (Image removed from quote.)

TS and Shiny,

Would I have been better off saying:
"no wonder he has such crappy teeth and has bad taste in music"

GJ
generally joking
Make the right choices now

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
Keep digging your grave...........
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia