Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Some LNF technical specs - verified or not?  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Some LNF technical specs - verified or not?
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:51:05 AM »
I was reading a 2007 magazine with an article for Opel GT and it had some specs for the LNF that out of curiousity i would like to check if are true or not. if anyone can verify these....
Furthermore this could give some info on the people that don't already know these.

HPFP: pressure at idle 55bar
HPFP: max pressure at WOT 155bar

Pistons: aluminium
Connecting rods: Forged
Crank: Forged

engine block: aluminum with oil nozzle on the flip side of the pistons for best lubrication and cooling

Valves: Hollow / include sodium for best cooling
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Some LNF technical specs - verified or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:56:01 AM »
Sounds pretty much correct to my ears.

You can get more info from here:
http://gmtunersource.com/racertech/ecotec-build-book

Even the source is pretty reliable, you might get some wrong info, for example: i think there is a typo about injectors flow in that book (20 cc/min at 1450psi in page 87)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:17:17 AM »
yup, connecting rods and crank are forged

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:45:19 AM »
yup, connecting rods and crank are forged

so for a possible internals upgrade, rods do not need to be upgraded. just the pistons?
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline MGar

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:14:37 AM »
People have bent the rods in the LNF, whether it was because it was being spun beyond 7500, or because of the HP is unknown.  However, if you've already got the engine apart, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change them to something with a stronger structure, such as an H beam as opposed to the stock I beam.
2008 GXP
GM Stage II, GMPP CAI, Dejon IC, Dejon Hardpipes & T-bolts
GMPP Suspension, DDM Backbone & Rear Brace

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:25:35 AM »
People have bent the rods in the LNF, whether it was because it was being spun beyond 7500, or because of the HP is unknown.  However, if you've already got the engine apart, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change them to something with a stronger structure, such as an H beam as opposed to the stock I beam.

completely agree.

A friend of mine (greaseyjockey).......revs high (8500rpm), bent a couple of his rods.

I believe he has around 450whp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
so for a possible internals upgrade, rods do not need to be upgraded. just the pistons?

get forged pistons (wiseco pistons) and higher quality forged rods like k1 technologies :)

or you can get the more expensive Carillo Rods.

k1 rods will be able to handle 800hp tho....so why spend 2-3 times more expensive rods, if k1 will easily handle all the whp you can throw at it....

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 07:33:34 AM »
I haven't won the lottery yet, so i am not upgrading anything :)
but when i win it, i will got with the DDM 2871 kit and upgrade internals.

i was just curious since rods are forged why they should be upgraded. but the "H beam vs the I beam structure" answer, i believe resolves my questions
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:45:07 AM »
H beam and I beam......
some experts like the H beam and some like the I beam  :)
its like SC vs TC ;)

anywho, the K1 forged H beam rods are made out of 4340 (forged)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:02:11 AM »

i was just curious since rods are forged why they should be upgraded.

well, there are different types of metals that can be forged.    Although the stock rod is "forged", it doesnt mean that it has the best/strongest type of metal.  Not sure what type of metal it is though....

k1 rods are made out of 4340

plus there are different types of forging processes......

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »
Sorry guys didn't read the thread. I am duplicating Kelu's post. Ignore me
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:57:58 AM by Kenny »
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
Stock rods are good to 400hp, once you hit 400hp you should also replace cylinder liner with solid iron liners and replace the valves with aftermarket.
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
400-420whp is probably the limits of the stock internals even with a very good tune.  They'll be fine for some time, but soon or later something will break......

And yeah, upgrading to iron sleeves will be nice insurance :)

Bates and Darton are good choices ....

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »
Agree Bates sleeves are a great choice.  I orginally had Darton sleeves to install but could not find a engine machine shop that could install them. [ 6 shops could not install them] It requires boring out two different diameters per cylinder since the sleeve is two stepped. They look great but they remove allot of cylinder block. also know of failure of this sleeve from a highly respected source. If you go with Darton, they can install them. I have Bates sleeves.
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:47 AM »
most ecotec engine parts are interchangeable. if you find a part for an l61, le5, lnf, etc, they are swappable. since they all use the same basic block and head footprint, all headgaskets, head studs, timing covers and gaskets, oil pans, girdles, and i'm fairly sure the bearings are even the same.

all ecotec blocks are the same rough casting and can be made to work with a little modification. the lsj and lnf are sand cast and have oil squirters, so they are obviously more desirable

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THE DARTON MID SLEEVES YOU BETTER HAVE A DAMN GOOD MACHINIST. Most of the meat of the block gets cut out for these sleeves to go in since they have a flange on them to close the deck. the cores of our blocks are chilled when cast resulting in a stronger, but more brittle aluminum and they are very hard to machine without cracking the block.

One of my good friend and MENTOR (greaseyjockey w/ the btf gt35 kit) has his build almost done this year.   He'll probably have a 500whp car.   He has a darton mid sleeve (closed deck) on his engine.

And Tom, thanks to your engine build, I was able to follow the same route.   I went with BATES! :)   I need to take a photo of my Bates Block soon.....really a work of art ;)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 06:23:45 AM »
SKY888 you should get greaseyjockey around here and make him to be active :P

He will be a great addition ;) he was pushing stock LNF over 500hp in early 2009 when we were experiencing tune and exhaust :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:25 AM »
Hahaha!  James is a crazy MF!  lol!

He's the first one who ran a 200 shot NOS on his car....and broke the block in half 3 years ago in the middle of the strip?  Crazy indeed!  

I wish James can go to these forums as well as Rick (BTF).

Unfortunately, James and Rick are waayyyy too busy with work.   No time to chat around on the forums......

James can barely work on his build, and that's why it's taking forever to finish.

But the last time we communicated (a couple months back), he already installed a spec stage 3+ clutch kit :)     I think, his car is ready to rock!!! :)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:31:16 AM by SKY888 »

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
And Tom, thanks to your engine build, I was able to follow the same route.   I went with BATES! :)   I need to take a photo of my Bates Block soon.....really a work of art ;)
So, does that make you a Master Bates user?

:rofl:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
O.K. T Soup,its alright to tease Sky and the Wolf,but leave Ray Bates out of it. Besides being the absolute Ecotec race engine expert , he is a hell of a nice guy. He was a tremendous help to me. Yes, I know your Kidding, and is your soup creamy. Ha Ha