Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Gentlemen, check your Hazards...  (Read 1506 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Gentlemen, check your Hazards...
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
In ongoing development and testing of my LED rear lights conversion, last night I was trying to use my hazard warning flashers for some visual checks.  I found that they would only flash while keeping the button pressed, but when I released it they would stop again.  I assumed this was to do with the LED load, but after putting a regular bulb in circuit and re-trying it suddenly started working... but then they WOULDN'T TURN OFF!

I assumed that the hazard switch is momentary connect and that the toggle logic is in the BCM, so I pulled and replaced the BCM and then the ECM fuses, but still flashing.

I finally found that the switch is actually a latching switch (even though it doesn't feel like it) and that is wasn't working properly. I did finally get it to turn off, but I've now got to go off to the dealer at some point to get a replacement <sigh>.

BOTTOM LINE: as nobody normally uses these switches, it may well be worth trying yours out a couple of times periodically, so you can be sure yours will work when you need them!  (Plus a good idea to test before your warranty expires.)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
Re: Gentlemen, check your Hazards...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:56 AM »
I use my hazard lights somewhat regularly (whenever I got a chance to drive the Kappa).  I'd say I average around one usage per engine start (including mistake when I turn off Stabilitrak).

Offline CT Solstice

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the heads up TS, I use mine about once a month when going to VA, usually when some clown wrecks in front of me...
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »
I think most of us checked them out during the DC St. Patrick's Day Parade. There sure was a lot of flashing going on! :D

Offline dengel

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
The guys at the car wash check mine for me regularly.  I'm still not sure if they're turning them on on purpose while they park the car to clean the interior, or if they hit the switch while wiping down the dash and just don't bother to turn if off.   :idk:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:14:55 AM »
Checked.  Flawless.
Make the right choices now

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
FIXED!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »
So today I pulled the g*d**ed busted hazard switch out of the car by pulling out the gauge cluster rings and tunnels, pulling/unclipping the top of the boomerang and undoing the two screws behind the switch (didnt need to undo the bottom of the boomerang or the shifter/boot, but I did have to remove the passenger grab handle to allow enough flex).

Anyway took the back off the switch and found a metal disc/pin loose.  "AHA!" thought I, "this is the problem!".  So I worked out where it had to go back in and then reassembled the switch.  Photos show the switch apart and the loose piece, then (arrow) the slot where it should've been:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Retested and bugger!, thing still doesn't latch!  So back apart it comes.  I prod, poke, disassemble some more, and out falls a broken-off piece of plastic.  One of the plastic catches that hold the front of the button onto the innards.  There's still one catch piece left, plus it doesn't seem to be important to the operation anyway, so I reassemble the switch again.  Bingo! Works!  I guess that broken piece was getting stuck inside and not allowing full motion of the catch.  Here's the working switch and the culprit alongside (circled):

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I know I could've had this fixed under warranty, but I don't really trust the dealer, plus it would mean two multiple hour trips (one to "diagnose" and order the part, one to replace it), so this was just quicker.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:05:48 PM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:25:26 PM »
Thanks for the update TS. It just might help someone in the future.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!