Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Review: Yokohama S-Drive 245-45-18  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Review: Yokohama S-Drive 245-45-18
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:06:26 AM »
I have about 30 miles on these tires so far.

Initial impressions are as follows:

1. Slightly more road "groan" than the stock F1-GS2's
2. SILENT!  So far my favorite thing about the tire... it is absolutely silent on a burn out.  I made everything disappear in my rear view in a cloud of smoke and not a sound!  An added benefit I never expected.
3. Stiff.  They do not ride as soft as the F1's.  But, then again, I have not had a chance to fine tune the PSI yet.  Started at 40 figuring I'd just drop a few pound each ride until I found the right number.  Tomorrow, down to 38.  40 is too much.
4. Sticky?  Still need to be broken in, but cornering is definitely better.  Not sure yet on launch.  Need to break in the tire and find the right PSI.

So far, so good.  More to follow after some hillside runs and some more miles. 

If you are looking for really good Summer tires and are looking to save some money over the Star Specs, these should be on your short list.  They may not be quite as good as the star specs, but you save $60 per tire... that $240 bucks can be put to really good use...  I think Star Specs are still the class of the class, but these may be a very good cost conscious alternative.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
Re: Review: Yokohama S-Drive 245-45-18
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
40psi are you crazy!

Door jamb says 29psi

I have been running 29 on the track and my tires wear perfectly. Wear right up to the spot where they should when doing the shoe polish test.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
Kenny is right, if you want to play with the presure start closer to recommended.  The reason you couldn't hear anything and could do such a dramatic burnout is because you had less than a inch of contact patch.  There is a sticky with the formula for correct tire presure taking into account the difference in tire construction. 

My tires are stiffer than stock, can carry more weight and using the formula, my pressure should be around 24 psi.  I run 29 because I like a stiffer tire and in very hard cornering with my negative camber, I use all the tire as indicated by the scuffing. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »
I was playing between 15-40 psi with my tires also, generally while I'm at the strip. I inflate front tires up to 43psi and deflate the rears down to 15psi.

At last race I forgot to deflate the fronts when I put the car to the trailer and I drove like that for some weeks and wondering around why my front is so stiff :lol: (I was suspecting something wrong with front shocks ).
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
GJ, when you get more miles on them please update the thread as to your thoughts!  Thanks!
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
He is way to high in the tire pressure.
It may not be 29 but probably a few pounds positive or negative from that figure.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:15:48 AM »
I know 40 is way to high.  That is what I had the guy at the tire shop set them to start.  I will drop them to somewhere between 28 and 32 PSI when I get back to the house.  Just started there because...

I'll update with more info as I fiddle....

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »
I normally run 30 front 31/32 psi rear

I found with the star Specs, compared to the stock GY, that I did not have to over inflate the tires for autocross which was nice. 

I run 20psi on the street in my jeep.
6psi offroad
 :drive: