Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires  (Read 11968 times)

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on the newest Michelin Pilots, the Super Sports http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=141.  The price of these make me gulp but I decided on them for several reasons.  I have a daily driver that I routinely drive hard on the twisties and also autocross.  The autocross is for fun, not to win, so my choice is based first on the twisties and then the autocross.  And that is why not the Star Specs.  They are great tires for autocross but, given that they are track-derived, they give little warning on breakaway.  Not what I want for hard driving on twisties.  So, my choice just before these tires came out this week were the Dunlop Sport Max TTs.  But I was not enamored by the comments that turn in was not the best.  Based on Tire Racks test drive and that they succeed the PS2s in Michelin's lineup, I don't think they will have that problem.  Plus they are supposed to have worked the magic of great treadlife into a high grip tire.  I did not pick them based on treadlife, but hope to recover some of the cost that way. 

Will post a review after they are mounted and some driving.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
Re: Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
They sound awesome. I have Michelins on my Mercedes ML320 and love them. Good luck with yours. I look forward to the review.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »
I'm lookin' forward to the update Treeman once you install them and drive on them for a while. I'm gonna be in the market for a set of tires soon as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:14:51 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »
Perhaps I should have gone with these instead of the Yokohama's...

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,6645.msg96331/topicseen.html#new
Make the right choices now

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
Pilots were on my AMG and I see why. Excellent tire!  :)
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
Isn't these Pilot Sport Cup? R-Compound (we call them semi-slick) street tire like Toyo R-888?
If so, I should say: GREAT CHOICE, Porsche 997 Turbo comes from  factory with these tires.

Why they compare these tires with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2? Isn't the PS3 the ones to continue the PS2 line?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
Don't think they're r compound, thats the re11
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:01:29 PM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
Don't think they're r compound, thats the re11
Isn't RE-11 from Bridgestone
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
Instead of spending money on calipers, a set of tires like these makes it a better performance enhancement.
That is why from the very beginning before the car hit the street from the Dealer, it got GooDYears GS-D3's.
If those would not have been available I would have chosen the PS2's.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Isn't RE-11 from Bridgestone

You're right, my bad. 
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
Here's a review in a European car magazine.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tires/news/epcp_1104_michelin_pilot_super_sport_tires/index.html

and here

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Michelin-Supersport-2010-tyre-review/

In the second article they state that the tire is the successor to the PS2.

I love these reviews.  Now I want to have them NOW!  Come on UPS!  Of course, have to hold off on the real testing until the 500 mile break-in is past.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
So Kelu, I am not sure about the R-compound.  They say they are endurance racing bred but they also use multiple compounds on different parts of the tire.  No one uses the term R-compound so I won't claim it. 
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 03:26:03 AM »
Looks like they are different the Sport Cup but very highly rated. Here is Michelin lineup:
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport-tires/

Waiting your review, coming from a PS2 driver :D

Offline joshmass

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
I love the way the PS2's have performed on my Sol but I've been looking for something better for a while now. I had my eye on a set of Nitto NT05's until I read about these tires in a recent issue of Road & Track. Definitely keep us posted on how they handle in the dry and wet (if you do drive in the rain).

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I love these reviews.  Now I want to have them NOW!  Come on UPS!  Of course, have to hold off on the real testing until the 500 mile break-in is past.

Treeman,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful until the break in is complete.  I thought I was being careful, and still spun into the rail.  If you can, maybe even avoid wet roads.  I never have to drive in the rain, so it's not tough, but the roads were wet from some slight rain overnight and I still went around.  I never really new about tire break in before, probably because I haven't bought new tires in some 7 years, and those went on a Wrangler and then in to the mud, so no break in needed.  Before that, probably another 5 plus years since I bought tires, also on a Jeep.  Come to think of it, these are the first set of true performance tires (street performance) I have ever bought.  Lesson learned.  Let me be a lesson to others out there as well!  I might just go start a tire break in thread so as not to pollute this one...

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »
Thanks, GJ.  I plan to. 
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
Sound like great tires and I'm just about to get ready to change mine out. Keep us uo on what you think.

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
R compound tires are much softer and should not be driven on the street. They would be worn out in less than a 1000 miles driven normally. Should only be used on ovals or road racing. The Michelin pilot ss sounds like the tire to buy for street performance. It would also be a great tire for Autocross/road racing that requires street tires. Michelin Pilot series of tires have been at the fore front for many years,a proven winner
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:50 AM »
Did all the reading on these tires... WOW they are expensive compared to Continental's or some of the other ULTRAHIGH performance tires.  I just don't see the need for tires this expensive for a DD or even a spirited driver. AUTO-X and Rally, Yes; DD, not so much.

They are great tires based on reviews and if I was going to race A LOT, they would definitely be on my short list of kicks.

Can't wait to hear how well they "feel" and how long they last based on the dual compound and the enduro (history) background for the tire.

Those of you with PS2's, how many miles do you have on your tires.

I know my Conti's have about 28,000 with only 3/32 loss in tread (highway miles with some spirited driving).
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline joshmass

• Tech
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »
WOW they are expensive compared to Continental's or some of the other ULTRAHIGH performance tires.
A quick check on tirerack.com showed that the SS are actually cheaper than the PS2's!

Those of you with PS2's, how many miles do you have on your tires.
I'm at 13K miles with 8/32" remaining - they were 9/32" when new. Also, the SS are 2 lbs lighter than the PS2 (25lbs versus 27lbs) and have 10/32" new tread.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
These tires are fantastic!!!   :woohoo: :dancing: :woohoo: 

They have had their 500 mile break in and some good runs on the twisties.  They grip like nobody's business.  Turn in is great and I find no understeer.  They are great in the rain and the ride is good.  With the top up, there is some tire roar but it is a white noise and not bad.  Can't hear it with the top down.

I autocrossed them today and  :woohoo:!!!  They are extremely predictable at the limit and have incredible grip.  My first run was based on the butt-based g-force sensor tuned to my old tires (the stock GS2s) and I did a 54s run.  I laid into it the next run and dropped 7s.  My best run was a 46.8 with some wonderful 4 wheel drifts.  Again, no understeer unless it was my fault.  I believe there is another second or two left in them.  The FTD was a 41.7s (or so) and my fast time was better than some with R-Comps.  But, most importantly, it was a blast!!!  This is now the car I really dreamed of - it just does want I want and goes. 

So, yes, these things cost.  But all this fun and a 30k treadlife warranty?  How 'bout them apples!!

2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 11:09:09 PM »
Great follow up Treeman. I figure I can get another season out of my stock tires but next year, unless something better comes along, there will be a set of Super Sports on my car.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 10:27:32 AM »
Great time, great write up
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »
These tires are fantastic!!!   :woohoo: :dancing: :woohoo: 

They have had their 500 mile break in and some good runs on the twisties.  They grip like nobody's business.  Turn in is great and I find no understeer.  They are great in the rain and the ride is good.  With the top up, there is some tire roar but it is a white noise and not bad.  Can't hear it with the top down.

I autocrossed them today and  :woohoo:!!!  They are extremely predictable at the limit and have incredible grip.  My first run was based on the butt-based g-force sensor tuned to my old tires (the stock GS2s) and I did a 54s run.  I laid into it the next run and dropped 7s.  My best run was a 46.8 with some wonderful 4 wheel drifts.  Again, no understeer unless it was my fault.  I believe there is another second or two left in them.  The FTD was a 41.7s (or so) and my fast time was better than some with R-Comps.  But, most importantly, it was a blast!!!  This is now the car I really dreamed of - it just does want I want and goes. 

So, yes, these things cost.  But all this fun and a 30k treadlife warranty?  How 'bout them apples!!

Yes awesome follow up for sure Treeman.  Have never seen a better review for performance tires to fit the Kappa!

My Goodyear Eagle F1's have been OK, however I would like to audition the Michelin Pilot Super Sports when selecting new tires.  Uh, with your response might get them sooner rather than later!!!  :usa:  :urock:  :drag: :brnout:

Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust