Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: water pump replacment how too  (Read 19612 times)

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
water pump replacment how too
« on: June 04, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »
so on Friday i decided to replace my waterpump in my 2007 solstice 2.4 with a ddm supercharger. so here are the step by steps of my install.  following is a list of tools you ll need.

-GM waterpump gear holding tool for gm ecotec. you can get it at advanced auto online i recommend the full circle one not the half moon one i got. there about 50$ or less.
-exhaust gasket
-when you get your waterpump if its from auto parts store get the waterpump cover O ring ( you ll most likely have to order it from GM $7.95) also get the O rings for the water tube that goes from the temp sensor housing and there is also one that goes between the block and the temp housing.

first you ll need to remove the supercharger intake tube front bracket and the one that mounts to the exhaust manifold and head.

next remove the exhaust manifold from the block its held on by 10 bolts. also you ll need to unbolt the catalytic converter from its support bracket located where the exhaust connects to it under the engine. if you don't do this you wont have enough room to pull the exhaust manifold.

next remove the waterpump inspection cover in the front of the engine and install the waterpump gear holding tool.

next remove the the drain the coolent from the radiator by unscrewing the drain plug on the bottom passanger side of the radiator. also pull the drain plug at the bottom of the waterpump housing.

next unbolt the thermostat housing from the engine. there are 3 bolts then pull the metal tube between it and the waterpump out of the waterpump side. then pull the waterpump cover off the waterpump.

next unbolt the waterpump from the block. ensure the waterpump sprocket holding tool is tight so it does not move. first undo the bolts to the waterpump there are 3 of them from the front of the engine around the inspection  hole. next unbolt the 3 bots holding the sprocket on the waterpump taking extra care not to drop them into the engine.

next assemble the waterpump and waterpump cover before you install it (if you bought the GM pump it should of come assembled with a new one) next reassemble by reversing these steps. if on start up you hear a loud whining noise you ll have to do what i did in the next steps. the cause of this noise is because the chain tensioner got tight because the sprocket moved.

first you ll have to remove the fan along with the belt drives to include all the tensioners and the crank pulley and the front supercharger bracket. next remove all the bolts
around the cover. when prying it off it will be Snug take caution and work it from side to side.

next remove the waterpump chain tenstioner.

next reset the tenstioner by rotating the plunger end 90 degrees push it in then turn it back 90 degrees and insert a paper clip in the the hole in the body of the tenstioner and it will also sit in the hole
that's on the end of the plunder. then reinstall pull the pin and the tenstioner is set. reassemble with new gasket and everything should be fine

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:10:15 PM by hammy221 »

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
Re: water pump replacment how too
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »
hammy 221 Very good right-up and pictures of water pump job. Critter may be the next to read this for his Install. How many miles were on yours??
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 01:43:49 AM »
i had 68,000 i did the write up mainly cause i didnt find too much on it when it came to the solstice.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »
Wow, very nice write-up.  That seems like a real PIA job, where a lot can go wrong if you forget a step.  Great job and thanks for the write-up!
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
Nice job Hammy. If I had an NA I'd be bookmarking this.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »
the pocedure should be almost idenical on the turbo except you have the turbo componets to deal with

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
Excellent step by step! Hope I don't need it, but I am bookmarking just in case.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Bringing back this thread, DarkTech is beyond his warranty and we might be changing the pump on his.   I found on ebay the half moon tool that is pictured in this thread. 

Why is it recommended to use the round one vice the half moon version?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-Water-Pump-Sprocket-Holder-GM-Ecotec-13800-/400301545054?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5d33d4d65e&vxp=mtr

GM Specific water pump holder
https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=3410

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
If you do not want any play and be 100% static, the round circle is the correct tool.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
Still does not guarantee that it wont move.  The dealer used one on mine and it still moved out.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »
I haven't had the need yet but this has plagued my dreams.  For those that have been in there, would it be possible to put pressure on the tool or make a jig to hold it securely?

Have there been any successful reports?

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:58:21 PM »
Have there been any successful reports?

How many times have you seen anyone post positive results or when things work the way they are supposed to work?  It's the nature of internet forum to emphasize the negative and the results when things don't work correctly.  Human nature at its finest.

I'm sure that there are many successful uses of the tool out there that we've never heard about.  Of course it also would help if there were instructions as to the proper use of the tool . . .

Aggressive #000741

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
How many times have you seen anyone post positive results or when things work the way they are supposed to work?  It's the nature of internet forum to emphasize the negative and the results when things don't work correctly.  Human nature at its finest.

I'm sure that there are many successful uses of the tool out there that we've never heard about.  Of course it also would help if there were instructions as to the proper use of the tool . . .

Not really the point, we have had MANY how-tos and DIY reports of this project on the kappa forums, not about complaining but sharing experiences. SoB didn't just post his transmission thread to complain about the upper housing bolt.  I was just hoping someone had seen a thread where the installer didn't have to go back in and fix the whine, either at home or from a shop because I hadn't seen one and would like to pick their brain.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 12:13:54 AM »
Maybe Joe will post such a thread idkfa.   :D
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 02:53:30 AM »
Wow!  Thank you very much for all the pics.  From what I can tell, the center section cannot rotate, so to account for the varying orientations, the edge has slots for the bolts that go to the block.  I would use washers and bolts.  I'd install it, mark position, remove it, weld the washers onto the tool, and install.  I can always grind off the welds/washers for the next time I need to use it.

Knock on wood, my car has been a daily driver for 4 years, and 4 seasons a year, and has just under 60K km, and no problems yet.  I have replaced my thermostat, and my Dexcool with Prestone Dexcool about 6 months ago.  From all the "horror stories" I've heard about Dexcool, and many of them with cars with Dexcool that was around 5 years old, I figure shorting the max life of the coolant down to 4 years is cheap insurance.