Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 8 volts instead of 12?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline e-sarge

• Tech
    • My Page on IMSaturn
8 volts instead of 12?
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
Okay, so I'm wiring up my latest mod (electronic cutouts) and it doesn't work. Lights come on, using the switch or the wireless fob cause the lights to flash, but motors do not actuate.  :idk:

I was surprised to see that the volt meter only reads 8 V on my new circuit (but 12+ V at the battery). I'm using one of those add-a-circuit things in the BCM fuse box (passenger foot well) in fuse position 22. I also tried position 18, same results. When I test from the supply of the add-a-circuit (only one tab of the fuse in) to the ground (bolt just above the left side of the fuse panel), I get 12 V, but as soon as I install the fuse properly to power my accessory, I see 8V on the meter (for that circuit only).

Anybody have some experience with automotive wiring that could point out some condition that reduces the voltage by one third? Could it be a bad wire splice (poor contact)? I thought those generally gave you 12V but overheated quickly and fried the wires... All splices are crimp connectors, BTW, no vampire connectors here.

I've left a message for the vendor, but I was hoping someone here could help me out.
2007 Sky Redline, Midnight Blue, Black top, Ebony/Tan interior.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: 8 volts instead of 12?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
gauge and lenght causing resistance?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: 8 volts instead of 12?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
Are you reading 8V at the cutout with it connected?
Try at the cutout with it disconnected.
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.