Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: RK Sports Hood Questions  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Hoosier GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Hoosier GXP
RK Sports Hood Questions
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »
Since I can't seem to find a section here for mods or related items I will post this here,

I am contemplating my next mod and I am looking for info on this hood. I know the basic difference between the ram air fiberglass and the carbon blister is a little weight and of course price. I have also read the they may take some extra "prep" work. Who has had one of these hoods for a while and can give me info on how it is holding up and any advice as to which one is recommended. If weight is not a concern is the carbon blister that much better than the fiberglass one.

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
Re: RK Sports Hood Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
I can't answer for the carbon factor but I've had the fiberglass one on since about Nov of 07.  The only rework we had to do to the hood for fitment was to thin out the side edges a bit (not much at all) to retain the weather strip on the fender and trim open the headlight areas a bit to get the right fit.  there was one bolt that did not match up on the headlights on each side but we were able to redrill a hole in the corresponding tab to fit.  I've had no issues whatsoever with it.  Good as new so far.  Just make sure you reach over and grab it in the middle, up top when you close it so it doesn't flex.

All that come out of the mold are different so it could be better or worse but I'm very happy with it.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline Hoosier GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Hoosier GXP
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »
Thanks Gunny that is the kind of info I am after, I also called RK Sports and they said the basic difference in the two is the carbon blister has the carbon fiber "look" on the top other than that no big difference.  I also discovered that if I had searched a little more I would have found the correct place to post under    "Joe's Garage"   :idk: You can move post there if you wish.

Offline Lithium Lotus

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
I would just get the regular ram air hood. You can always have stripes painted on your car.
07 GXP: Natsumi "Summer Beauty"
Sold 08/2010

Offline EndiSky

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:22:22 PM »
I have the Sky version of the fiberglass hood and am overall pretty happy with it.  Minor shaving to get it to fit.  As for the blister hood, I wasn't looking to spend the extra money for a part of the hood to be different, so i just painted the whole top half of the car!

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
The Carbon Fiber hood only has CF on the blisters. There's almost no weight difference, but it's the look of CF that is it's biggest appeal. I painted the non CF part, and left the black CF showing. It gives it a bit of a unique racing stripe look to it, and really compliments the CF rear wing, done the same way. Frankly it's just part of the color scheme, but it works for me.

As for holding up: it's held up well with no problems at all, but I had a really good body shop do the installment, and there was some shaving required as with almost all body mods.