Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Weatherstrip treatment  (Read 9403 times)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Weatherstrip treatment
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
Once a year every summer, i spray silicon on my GTs weatherstrip. doors, windshield, roof top, trunk and hood.
this helps the rubber stay fresh, have some moisture so as not to get dry and crack and also eliminates noises that can be heard from the doors and roof top.
the way to do it is spray silicon on a towel and then wipe the weatherstrip (per TomatoSoup's instructions), coz propellent can be bad for the weatherstrip

small tip:
after you treat the roof top's weatherstrip and before you close the door, make sure to put napkin between the window and the roof top, so as not to mess your window with silicon, which will make it a mess... or leave the window open for some hrs if you have a closed private parking

there are a few people that disagree with the use of silicon, so pls ask people you trust for the product you should use
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:50:17 AM by Arabas »
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Weatherstrip silicon treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »
1) Products used?
2) Pictures / instruction

I have my GT for 2 years and I didn't do too much of this and I'm looking forward to do them, for top and the rubber
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
for the rubber, any silicone spray off the shelf will do the job.
i use any brand i find.
i am planning on doing this, along with my annual engine bay cleaning, early August, so i will post pics.

as for the soft top weatherproof, i used this one (it says step 2)
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline iliasGT

• Tech
  • Back in Black
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
for the rubber, any silicone spray off the shelf will do the job.
i use any brand i find.
i am planning on doing this, along with my annual engine bay cleaning, early August, so i will post pics.

as for the soft top weatherproof, i used this one (it says step 2)

I agree with Arab.I use silicone spray twice a year.I use the same soft top weatherproof and also Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer.Super products!!!
Weitec Hicon GT coilovers,DDMWorks probeam,DDMWorks Backbone,DDMWorks oil catch can,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace,Z0K rear sway bar,DDMWorks Stainless Steel Brake Lines,Norms diffuser,DDMWorks cupholder, konigseder rear wing,stubby antenna,custom rear and horn logo,front and rear eyelids,steinmetz front grill,isotta e-brake, Stainless steel door pins,Custom stainless steel door sills,Custom front sway bushings,Custom oil carter protection.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
No, NO, NOOOO!!

If you have to use silicone spray (and most do not recommend it) do NOT spray it direct onto the rubber strips.  The carrier solvents and propellants are BAD for the seals.  If you have to use it, spray it onto a rag and use that to wipe it on to the rubber.

Better still to use something that is recommended as being good for the rubber.  GM recommends silicone dielectric grease, it's in the User Manual (available in many auto parts places, I'm sure even in Greece).  BMW recommends Gummi Pflege and other swear by it - from Germany, so hopefully also available in Greece.

I have used 303 vinyl/rubber protectant (again using the rag and wipe method), though a bit unsure about its use on car seals, so don't necessarily follow my lead there.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
TS i am bit confused here...
you re saying the silicon spray is noy good for rubber seals?
i am not questioning you, just wondering. i have been advised by many to use it (even by the Audi mechanic for my previous car).

pls advise
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »
TS i am bit confused here...
you re saying the silicon spray is noy good for rubber seals?
i am not questioning you, just wondering. i have been advised by many to use it (even by the Audi mechanic for my previous car).

pls advise

Arabas,
What he is saying is the propellent in the spray is not good for rubber.  It will eat away at the rubber, so if you do use it,spray it on a rag first, then wipe on to the rubber.
Make the right choices now

Offline Gregory

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
Arabas take some pure silicon oil from Kagem, put it on a cloth and then on the rubber. That is what I did and I think it is the best way to treat your rubbers :)
2008 Opel GT, Black, Trifecta tune, 200cpi SOLO DownPipe, K&N Air Filter, 4piston Brembo front brakes with EBC yellowstuff brakepads, DDM Backbone and ProBeam, LatinVenom Front Chassis Brace. NEXT STEP: Install the SPEC stage 3+ Clutch kit and Flywheel ;)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
KY or Trojan his and hers works really well for treating your rubbers too....

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
Arabas,
What he is saying is the propellent in the spray is not good for rubber.  It will eat away at the rubber, so if you do use it,spray it on a rag first, then wipe on to the rubber.

ohhh, i get it...propellent was an unknown word for me...

also found this...

http://www.ecklers.com/weatherstrip-lubricant.html?dept_id=121

i will edit my first post about how it should be sprayed.

thx for the correction TS and GJ
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Weatherstrip treatment
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:48 AM »
so, after this thread and the remarks TS did, i searched a bit on the internet and found some products, one from Wurth. then I visited my local Wurth store (yes i am lucky to have this on my neighborhood).

i asked the guy to give me something for the weathersrtip. he gave the exact product i found on the internet (packaging and size is like a camel shoe shine). we talked a bit and he told me that silicon is good for weatherstrip and that it's only drawback is that it attracts a bit of dirt. he also said this product is ideal because it cares the rubber parts without attracting dirt, plus you don't spray, but touch the rubber for it to apply.

this is the product

http://www.enthusiastauto.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=919
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
I never knew rubbers needed this much maintenance, I always just threw them away and got new one each time.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
I never knew rubbers needed this much maintenance, I always just threw them away and got new one each time.

door weatherstrip is cheap.
our roof's weatherstrip is expensive. so is the one of the windshield. plus a lot of small noises comes from these rubbers
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »
our roof's weatherstrip is expensive. so is the one of the windshield. plus a lot of small noises comes from these rubbers

Did I hear a whooshing sound just now? :lol:

Jim :cool:
Never think you are forgotten!

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:40 PM »

Oh Arabas *sigh* they are teasing you due to the language barrier. I would never do such a horrible thing!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
Oh Arabas *sigh* they are teasing you due to the language barrier. I would never do such a horrible thing!

damn... i thought this topic might get to this, but i thought SA was making a serious statement... :)
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:42 PM »
Wow...Just wow!  Kids, Kids, Kids!

The comment I really want to make right now... :lol:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Hey GJ I got Arabas again, you were wrong he still hasn't learned.  They are kind of cute when their gullible aren't they Kelu?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »
Hahahah, yes SA you are right about the greeks especially about Arabas :lol:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
I love this thread... Can we keep it going?

I guess what I'm asking is, how long can you keep it up SA?  Maybe with Shiny and IHawks help, you can keep it up longer? Or that might work the other way?

All rubbers need to be lubricated and proper maintenance performed in order for them to work right and to make sure nothing leaks by them.  Leaky rubbers can cause a lifetime of problems...

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
Two things I don't :censor:  with:  Snakes and rubbers!

Back to weather strip...  I use Leather Stuff from Poorboy's World.  No spray involved and it doesn't attract dirt. 

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »
I love this thread... Can we keep it going?

I guess what I'm asking is, how long can you keep it up SA?  Maybe with Shiny and IHawks help, you can keep it up longer? Or that might work the other way?

All rubbers need to be lubricated and proper maintenance performed in order for them to work right and to make sure nothing leaks by them.  Leaky rubbers can cause a lifetime of problems...

I'm sure I can help out with the lubricant and rubbers.  I was given a stash of both.  The lubricant is still in the original package, and there are plenty of rubbers left in case someone needs them.  However, they are getting old and may be deteriorating.

My car is 5-1/2 years old now and I've never done anything with the rubbers!!  Should I be concerned??

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Leaky rubbers can cause a lifetime of problems...
Yeah we know your parents told us, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and (thanks Elff) over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
Wow. That's impressive right there!  :thumbs:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
SA,
You get 10 points for creativity there.  I bet no one has ever posted anything like that on this forum...