Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 1200 miles from home and NOW I have engine problems?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
1200 miles from home and NOW I have engine problems?
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »
I just came out of Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia a few miles before i had trouble. Roads are crazy twisty out here and if you get stuck behind a slow moving truck or something you could be there for a while. I had to get past a truck.

I threw her out into the left lane while I tromped the gas pedal to the floor. She coughed and sputtered and blew a cloud of bhuish gray smoke out the tailpipe. As soon as it did this I immediately pulled back in worried and embarrassed all at the same time. The check engine light came on for a few seconds and then I noticed it flashing. It flashed for about 10 seconds and then turned off. I drove for about 10 miles getting up the nerve to try it again (hard acceleration) a few times and all seemed okay. About 100 miles since that one incident and it hasn't done it again.

I called Onstar and they said that I need to get it looked at right away and that there is a serious problem with 2 cylinders. They mentioned a misfire but weren't more specific with a code although they DID say that there were 3 codes stored. Current codes that she couldn't say wouldn't reoccur again. I said it was running fine now and that I'd have to get it looked at when (if?) I get home.

I have specifically not done anything to the engine as far as a tune is concerned to avoid this very thing. I have an OCC and a hi flow cat and that's it.

I hope the hell I don't get stuck out here without the car. It could take FOREVER to get any parts and where the heck would I take it? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I sure hope so...

:gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: 1200 miles from home and NOW I have engine problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
What the hell is going on!!!

Is it still under warranty?
If it is I think they have to provide you with a loaner vehicle.  My dealer did this when I was under factory warranty and now under the GM extended warranty even states it in the extended warranty booklet.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
Can you get the codes scanned to find out whats going on?

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:49:30 AM »
this thing is becoming a nightmare...no tune and you still get problem in cylinders?
don't worry about being away from home. it may give you a bit of a hard time, but still yoou can work that out easily. hoping the engine has no problem and it is an easy fix!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:51:03 AM »
I still have the powertrain warranty and as it is running okay at the moment so I'm driving it. I don't want to end up at the GM service department from hell so I'll try to get it home. Maybe it was that Irving gas that I bought shortly before it happened. Been trying to buy good gas but when you are in the middle of nowhere that isn't always possible. We'll see what the next few hundred miles brings.

I always buy 91 octane gas as well, 93 when I can get it.

Should have bought the extended warranty...   :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:58:04 AM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
Bob, if bad gas is your problem, could an off the shelf a octane booster or fuel additive work for you?
i don't propose anything, i am  just brainstorming here
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »
Thanks Arabas but at the rate I'm going through gas, about a tank a day this gas won't be in there long. I hope and pray that'll be the end of my issues, I really do...

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:28 AM »
lets hope its just bad gas.

try to get 93 octane from a reputable gas station......shell, exxon/mobil, etc.

And hope that you get rid of the bad gas.......and your car will run smoothly.

I will also not be stomping on the gas pedal for the moment..............and just drive easy.

good luck
COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
Yeah I always get the good gas Antonio when I can. 93 is tough but never less than 91. Yeah I'll have to take it easy for a while. At least until we get to the Cabot Trail tomorrow.

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
since 2008, that same incident happened to me (first year I had the car).

But it never happened again.

I always get 93 octane from Shell........but I guess, weird things happen ...

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
Your what 20-25 miles from Halifax?  I would detour to there and find a GM dealer and at least have it looked at.  Show them your union card :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »
Yeah might not be a bad idea John. I'm actually staying in Halifax at the Westin. The "O'Regan's on Robie" here in Halifax isn't too far. I'll stop by on the way out this morning.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
Just out of curiosity, where you driving or had just drove in a lot of rain?

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
Good luck. Hope it gets fixed fast. It's tough being away from home and having car issues.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bob....I hope it is just bad gas as well.  Best of luck!!
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
Misfire is the only reason the ECM will flash the MIL.  When this happens get out of the load and RPM windows when the misfire occurred, wait a few seconds. If the MIL stops flashing it will usually be on steady, P0300-P0304. Take it easy till you can get it looked at. If the MIL is out drive it & enjoy it. Bring the engine load and RPM in slower to where you last saw the misfire, if no MIL, drive it & enjoy it.  It's very possible that the bad thing that happened has cleared.  If the MIL goes out it means the EMS OBD have ran and passed.  Did I mention, drive it & enjoy it!

Clear Skies!
Scanner

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »
I like Joe's thinking but I also have a question.
Did you punched it while in 4th gear or did you down shift to 3rd to pass that truck?.

Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »
Thanks guys. I am driving it and enjoying it after my visit to the dealer in Halifax this morning. Joe, it's been dry here for a few days so water wasn't an issue here. LV, the car's an auto and I know it kicked down a gear.

Thanks for your insight Scanner. Always appreciated.

When the problem occurred I got off it right away. The dealer gave me the printout for the scan that he did today and it amounted to a misfire on cylinder #1 and what I believe was cylinder #2. I don't have the paper on hand as it's stashed away but there were 14 misfires on one cylinder and 13 misfires on the other. That's not a long period of time at full throttle.

They cleared the codes and hooked the scanner to check for any more misfires and all checked out okay. I was in and out in a half hour. The folks at the dealership were great and I'm going to write an email to GM to tell them so.

I hope it stays running well but in the future I'm going to stay away from the Irving gas if I can. Don't know if that was the issue but why take the chance.

Glad I took it to the dealer to get it checked out. Hope there aren't any more visits for this and that it was just an anomaly. Still have about a week before we start to head back home.
We're in a B&B at the start of the Cabot Trail tonight and the Inn keeper said he wants to keep my car. Gonna take two days to do the trail. Should be a blast especially with a car that's running as it should.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:09:43 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 10:59:22 PM »
Glad it was good news.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 12:28:39 AM »
Make the right choices now

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »
By taking it to the dealer they now can't say you had a problem and ignored it thereby making it your fault. Always better to CYA!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
Bob, if bad gas is your problem, could an off the shelf a octane booster or fuel additive work for you?
i don't propose anything, i am  just brainstorming here

Not a bad idea Arabas! You never know when you will be on a road trip and not have access to good gas. Does anyone know what the shelf life is on this stuff? I think I may buy one for both the Kappas just in case. Keep it right next to the tire plug repair kit!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »
Wow a good GM dealer. Nice to know. Maybe I'll move to Canada!
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
Wow a good GM dealer. Nice to know. Maybe I'll move to Canada!

Please do, but don't take Mrs. Kenny with you.  She is cool and can stay here in the South.
Make the right choices now

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
Please do, but don't take Mrs. Kenny with you.  She is cool and can stay here in the South.

So you are saying Kenny is not cool?

Psst...Hey Kenny, GJ says...    :lol: